3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Surewood shafts  (Read 246 times)

Offline Mariuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Surewood shafts
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Hi fellas, Im thinking of buying some surewood shafts from braveheart archery. I have a zipper sxt longbow, that i bought on here, that pulls 53lbs @ 28 inchs. Just wondering if i should get the 50-55 spined. Any opinions on spines selection would be awesome.  

Thanks
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Surewood shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
im shooting 55-60 Surewoods through a 53# Tomahawk. 29 1/2" 125gr head with 5" feathers
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
I just picked up some 50-55 Surewood shafts, put a little cherry stain on them with traditional barred parabolic feathers.. pretty solid arrows. I will buy them again.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank Clark

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Offline jlnft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Just an opinion, but I think 55#-60# if you draw the full 28" or 60#-65# if your draw length is a little longer.

Another factor is how far the riser is cut to/past center.

Surewood shafts are a great choice!

Joe
God is good all the time, all the time God is good!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
need to know your draw length and point wt you plan to shoot to make any decent recommendation.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
It also depends on what kind of string you have on the bow, low stretch will require a higher spine. The best thing is to call Braveheart when you order, he will set you up with the right shaft.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
I'll chime in to ask a question too.

I draw 27 3/4 , my longbow is cut on center(maybe a little past), has bamboo/carbon limbs, I use FF D-97 string and pull about 52#.

50/55's or 55/60?? Can't decide if I want to use 125 or 160 grain points yet.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Remember, folks, the "pound" scale was developed when there were only self bows. Most modern bows with glass on the limbs put out a lot more energy than most self bows, and a high-end recurve with a skinny string, and not loaded down with a heavy bow quiver or heavy rubber silencers, might need significantly more spine than the number it scales at your draw length. I'm shooting a 40# high-performance recurve right now that likes shafts in the 65-70# range at a 29" draw, with 160 g. heads.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
What Don said.  There needs to be more info. given before any accurate recommendations are given to Maruich. We don't want to lead him astray. I just wonder how many guys have been given incorrect advice and then they stop shooting wood, carbon or whatever the choice, was because of errant advice. I'd talk to the person you are buying the shafts from. They should be able to stir you in the right direction.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Mariuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
My draw on a compound is 28 inches, so Im figuring Im pulling about 27inches with a the recurve.  I plan on a 125 grain tip. Its a fast flight string, not sure how many strands, the limbs are foam core with carbon backing.

Keep suggestions coming , probably calling braveheart anyway just dont want to sound like an idiot on the phone, and some idea of want Im talking about.

thanks guys.
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
You might need 65-70#.  It's best to get a hold of Tim @ Braveheart.

You need to know your draw length & your arrow length to get a better idea.
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
You'll need to know how your bow's shelf is cut...to center, 1/8+, etc.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I always figued it like this I add 5 lbs for every inch I draw past 28 and add 5 lbs for any head over 150 gr. or over 1 1/4 inches wide.  Example:  I draw 29.5 and my bow is about 57# at that draw So I would take 55/60 shafts and increase them to 65/70 Now I also shoot 1.5 inch wide broadhead that weigh 160 gr so now I take the 65/70 up to 70/75 spine arrows for my bow.  Its always seam to work for me anyway.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Mariuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
I talked to Tom at braveheart ...he told me 55/60 or 60/65 ...but I should make sure that the zipper sxt is cut to center or it will change... I'll be calling zipper tommorrow...

thanks for all the info
Mario

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
:thumbsup:   What point weight did you settle on?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©