3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: another wood arrow ?  (Read 191 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
another wood arrow ?
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
hey guys im shooting a 1968 bearcat recurve 48# i pull it to 30 1/2 around 55# im thinking of getting some wood shafts for stumping and maybe deer hunting now im new and the spine charts are alien to me so my ? is the charts only go to 31 and i need arrows a lil bit longer to bop for hunting points im on lots of blood thinners and want my sharp points as far foward as possible at 31 the chart says 70 75 can i get good shafts longer to say 32 finished shaft if i can what spine do you think i should try

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: another wood arrow ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
32 1/2 is about as long as you are going to get-that will make a 31 1/2 arrow max. Howard hill bent his elbow to shorten his draw-you could try that. Surewood Doug Fir would be a good choice for you.
Stu's calculator will get you close.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I assume you have a dacron string and that you'll be shooting normal weight points, say 125 grains. If that's the case, 65-70# would work nicely.  However, over spining another 5# will work as well. Your problem will be to find shafts long enough.  Rose City, the only major manufacturer of cedar shafts today, mills them to 32 inches.  Taking an inch of that length for the point taper leaves you 31 inches of arrow, not enough for a 31 1/2-inch draw.  You need a shaft length of at least 33 1/2 if you don't change your draw length as Bjorn recommends. That will give you one inch of shaaft overhang behind the head for bow hand clearance.    I also concur with his recommendation for Surewood shafts.  I believe they will make them longer than 32 inches.  Or, you can foot  32-inch cedar shafts to make them longer.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
There is a great calculator app for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch etc that I use exclusively and it works AWESOME.

Its called: "Spine Calc" by Bogenblog and it is specific to wood arrows. It factors in type of traditional bow (including straight limb versus R/D longbows), backing, etc. It's nice! You even have the option to add a bowquiver.

It works for me every time.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
When you buy wood arrows, the spine marked on them if for a 28" arrow with a 125gr broadhead. Anything over 28" you can subtract 5# per inch and the reverse for arrows shorter than 28". Broadheads heavier than 125gr will reduce the effective spine but I'm not sure of that value.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
you can foot your shafts to make them longer...look for someone that will sell you a test kit (diff spine combination) in the spine you think you need and one above and one below that.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
thanks guys
yes i have a b-50 flemish 3 bundle.
i see that there are poplar shafts they are 36in. raw preminum goes to 55 60 but i guess thats not enough at 32 or is it in the poplar. i have a few comming from john fletch on here i hope the shoot. they are made out of the 36 in. poplar shafts i think . i told him i needed them 32 bop for a 55# bow he says good to go. so ill have to give them a try and let you guys know after reading a review on these i think they will work for my 35#er at the 32 which is fine with me. i might just have to get some used carbons and try the footing thing for my stumping fluflu arrows for the bearcat just wanted to try some woodies out of it oh well.
i do have a few 45 50 cajun ceders that i got from sportsmans guide and they shoot great out of the 35#er @29 3/4 to bop and they shot great out of the bearcat also but i was short drawing them in it. with the bent elbow draw.
 just let me say its fun learning
 thanks for any and all info you guys n gals got the answers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©