3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lost my place to hunt-Bummer!  (Read 464 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Lost my place to hunt-Bummer!
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
A spot I have hunted for the past 15 years is being sold. I was planning to hunt turkeys there with my son this month. Oh, well. I guess during deer season this fall, I may have to drive to Wisconsin to hunt public land. I'm sure you can all relate.

Offline paul11

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lost my place to hunt-Bummer!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Welcome to the club!

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
It's going fast, every year I hope for just one more. Do everything I can but sometimes circumstances beyond our control prevail. Good luck my friend. I would have a hard time going to public lands now.
Never wait too long!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks, Chumster! Welcome to the club? I have been bow hunting sine 1982 and can't count the number of place I have lost over the years, Paul11.

Offline SaMbO2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Sorry to here this, hope you find some ground that will bring you memories that will last a life time.

I my self am wondering what i will do for hunting ground come this fall for deer, but have know idea how to go about finding land.

God Bless Sambo.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Thanks, Sambo. One approach is to buy a county Plat map. It shows the private landowner's names. You can then make landowner contacts in the areas you would like. Try making contact early in the year and offer to work around their farm or help them with other chores, like snow removal...et al. Good luck my friend. I am with you!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Is there no public land in Illinois?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
In northern Illinois, it is somewhat limited. In the county I live in, we have one public land location. Otherwise, I have to drive two counties west to get to more abundant public hunting opportunities exist.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Ouch!, Been there. I had it happen to me many years ago. I had an outstanding farm to hunt until the rug was pulled out from under me. I did a lot of carpentry work for that man in return for lifetime hunting privileges on his property. That lifetime only lasted about 8 years. Long story.

Anyway, I'm very lucky to live in an area with a lot of public land that is bow only. I only missed a beat for about 2 years until I started finding some new honey holes.

Good Luck finding a new area. !
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I know the feeling all to well. Just lost a 157 acre tract I had hunted for 40 years. I knew it wa s up for sale but there was no way I could afford it. Luckily I have plenty of other land to hunt.
bolong

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Boy that's to bad. Here in N.Y. near me there thousands of acres of public land....deer numbers are low but you can still get on the land and wander. Hope you find a spot to spend some time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I really feel for you guys down there .I wish non-residents were allowed to hunt in southern sask. I'd invite the whole works of you up here.To many deer and to many places to hunt ,it is a hunting Utopia.All the best.If it ever changes I'll let you know.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Sorry to hear the bad news right before turkey season. I too, have had that experience several times in the past. Bummer!!!!!

Hopefully, some opportunity even better than what you had enjoyed comes your way.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
I thought I was looking at that this year too.

I sold my 40 acres ,Because of poachers and trespassers .I've been looking for land and it is hard to find unless you want to drive 3 to 4 hours one way.

We just looked at a small parcel tonight,It's only 10 acres ,But you have to use a four wheel drive to get to it    :bigsmyl:  So that gives me some hope that it will keep people away ,Also my wife says look at that ,and there standing on the road we just came up ,A doe came out of the property that we were looking at.

I hope you find some land that you can hunt with your son ,That would be some of the best times.

Even if you come out empty handed ,Your hearts would be filled with memories forever .

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Tough time, been there a few times myself.. It does seem that every time I loose a place, I find a better one..
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I'm very sorry for your loss.

That's the reason I bought my own land.  I don't see a lot of animals here but enough to keep my interest.  I also live on my own property, which makes it much easier to manage.  The locals know I don't put up with poaching and will report it to the authorities.

Keep look'in and I am sure another tract will become available. Hopefully better.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I feel for you buddy. I'm sorry.
4 years ago the state public land I had hunted on for 15 yrs was SOLD to a Private individual.

Like to know where "my" and the rest of michigan's people's money went on that one. What a crock!

Good luck to you. Hunting game is difficult enough the way we all do it. Even that much more difficult when you have to hunt for the land too.

But often the best prize is obtained by walking the most difficult path.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I cant be sure just yet but I may be sitting in the same boat with ya, land owner who I lease from called and said he might be selling his 500 acres of CRP and hard woods.  Further I may be staring down the barrel of moving out of state as well.  Lots of uncertianty in the near future!  Nothing to do for it but go out and do everything you can to get another place to hunt I guess.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm sure something will work out for the better. Maybe some day, after my kids get out of H.S. & college, I will buy a place of my own.

I wish you all a good hunting season this year!

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Seems to be happening quite a bit these days. Either the older guys are passin on and the kids are selling out or more and more folks are getting into the leasing their property out. It's everywhere here, but then again, I live in Howard Co. Maryland, dead smack between B'more and DC. High rent district in this neck of the woods. I have been hunting public land the last couple years (mainly in Garrett Co, not too far from Deep Creek Lake, DCL). I was hunting on a friends private land but he got in $$$ trouble and sold it off. I know where your coming from, firsthand. DCL is a good 2.5-3 hour ride from my house and unimproved forest land sells in the $6K/acre out there and the closer to home, the price shoots up, real quick. Most private land of any size anywhere in between is already leased out.  

How about joining a hunting club in your area? It can be cost efficent and open some good hunting to ya. I hope to make a move on some land in a couple years. Maybe a cabin on a couple acres that backs to a national forest? That's the idea, as of right now.

Good luck on your search and don't be afraid to knock on doors and ask about hunting. Maybe you can find a nice spot you and a couple buddies can pool together and lease out.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©