3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new guy questions.  (Read 545 times)

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
new guy questions.
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
The first post on a forum is kinda stressful. Not only am I new to the forum but to traditional archery. Frankly archery as well for the most part. So I'm sorry and please forgive my newbie questions. I had a compound as a kid and didn't really hunt with it or know much technique. I live in AZ and the lottery process for the deer hunts are lame compared to living in GA. So I got an inexpensive long bow.  45 lbs. At 26". I seem to be fighting between firearms training "look at the front sight" vs just looking at the Target and letting the arrow go. I had a sight pin on my compound as a kid. What the heck do I aim with? Tip of the arrow or just get better at "instinctive" shooting? Found the PSE coyote and even though it seems less traditional it says you can mount a sight. Tempting, but seems less appealing than a traditional wood recurve.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new guy questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
When I was a kid, I just used instinctive shooting. That's all I know. Anyway, just keep both eyes open and shoot close distances. Increase distance as you get better. My backyard goes out to 20 yards max. So far, I feel confident getting my arrows on the target in a group about 12-15 inches. It's getting better as I solidify my form. Form and release are everything.

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Pick up a copy of Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow." A superb book on how to aim from one of the greatest shooters alive.
~Brock

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Dave,  
 Wecome to the club and stick around for lots of good pointers on several different shooting techniques that many will share with you but I have a Rick Welch D.V.D.showing his techtique that I won in a drawing last year here on TradGang and I was going to put it in the Givaway drawings but "Big John" is already giving one away to one lucky winner now so if you want to learn one of several ways of shooting just give me an address to sent to and I'll be more then happy to sent it to you....There are many different ways to shoot traditional but just have fun and find what works best for you...God Bless, Keefer's <")))><

Offline speedbump

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Welcome man.. once to trad you never go back! Everyone has their own way of shooting. Basically get close  to start, work on form (follow thru and hitting your anchor) and concentrate on a small target (quarter size) and keep shooting... remember, look at the spot only, w/ both eyes open. Your brain will do the rest...
TGMM family of the bow

Green Mountain Longbow-Morrison Arapaho, Groves

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Dave,
 Welcome to TG! Tons of info is shared here (be sure to use the search function).
 I would like to suggest picking up a few of the instructional DVD's (or Books) available that are geared to Trad shooting.
 The Masters of the BareBow series (for one) is a great collection of instruction w/ many different shooting disiplines shown.
 I'm sure that eventually you will find a shooting form and a good Bow/ Arrow setup that will get your arrows to the spot you're aimin' at, (aim small, miss small) but it won't come without alot of commitment on your part.
 I think that by asking for advice from the great & very knowledgeable members here shows that and is a good start!
 Best of Luck on this great Journey!

Keith
If this was easy, everyone would be doin' it!

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Nice! Seems when I'd try and aim I'd miss the Target completely. Then I'd try just looking at the Target and I'd at least hit it......not consistently in the same spot but I hit it. Very addicting. Keeper, wow thanks! I'll send you a message.

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Sorry bout that keefer, phone spell checked it keeper.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Welcome to the tradgang family!

:campfire:  

:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Welcome,you can learn alot here, there are very helpful folks always welling to help.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Welcome aboard!  There is a never ending wealth of information on ways to shoot. Just be patient and don't give up.
bolong

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by bsoper:
Pick up a copy of Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow." A superb book on how to aim from one of the greatest shooters alive.
Excellent advice right there.

That book was probably one of the most helpful teaching references that I have used, concerning barebow aiming. That, and, of course, tips from the greatest people on earth: Tradgang members!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Wow I have never had a more warm welcome on a forum.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
Welcome!!

We all were newbies at least once.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline shoothathang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
Welcome!I've been a member for just a few months myself.I don't post much,just lurk n learn.But,yup,this is the best place I've found to hang out.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Dave,
  I got your email and I'll get the D.V.D. ready and shipped to you ...You should have it sometime next week..God Bless, Keefer's <")))><

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
You are in a good spot for advice here on TG.
Another book for you to consider:
My public library just happened to have a copy of Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery, by Brian Sorrells. I found that to be a good source of info, has a lot on equipment set up & tuning, and a step by step specific practice method for learning to shoot instinctively.
The book is still in print and available for purchase if you do a search on it.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by ordcorpdw:
Nice! Seems when I'd try and aim I'd miss the Target completely. Then I'd try just looking at the Target and I'd at least hit it......not consistently in the same spot but I hit it. Very addicting. Keeper, wow thanks! I'll send you a message.
You've already recieved a lot of great advice here.  I'd suggest picking one approach (book or CD), get that ONE down pretty good, then fine tune and develope what works for you.

Just one point; your statement above suggests you might want to look and focus on the center of a spot on the target as opposed to shooting at the whole target.  Even a bullseye is too small; focus on the middle of the bull.  Sounds silly I know, but "aim small, miss small" is a big deal.  Many of us (myself included) have shot at a whole deer and missed miserably by not picking a spot.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Welcome Dave. No need for intimidation. Good folks here will help. Keep your trad experience fun & you win.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Get Fred Asbells video on instinctive shooting, Thats all you really need to get a great background. For me I learn easiest from video . Reading is good but there is something about the visual that amps up the learning curve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©