3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where do you draw the line?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Scotty E

• Trad Bowhunter
Where do you draw the line?
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »
I was reading the traditional bowyers bible last night and it says that a fiberglass bow is not a traditional bow. That got me thinking on what is a "traditional bow" and what is not. Could a compound become traditional in 60 yers? Any way just curious about your opinion. what is traditional to you? Where do draw the line between traditional and modern?
I believe there's always room for all Gods Creatures as long as there next to my mashed potatoes-Tred Barta

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where do you draw the line?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
Scotty your asking for a can of worms to open up.I don't have the right answer.   :banghead:      :banghead:
Larry

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
It's in the eye of the beer holder. Shoot what makes you happy and do not worry what other folks say, You only have to please #1.

The bow I like the best is the one I am holding, that goes for self, BBO or glass longbows and recurves, all traditional to me...

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
does it matter? to me a traditional bow is a selfbow or a composite made from natural material "bone, horn".
i began with a fiberglass bow then my dad built me an osage selfbow and i have returned to fiberglass. i like shooting my fiberglass recurve because it has the look " wood grain" of a traditional bow but still is modern in design, speed, and grip.

i am not bashing fiberglass bows, but they are not traditional.

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
For me,anything without the wheels is traditional,longbow and recurve.Just my opinion.
Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
I'm with Kevin and Drifter2. Hap

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »
Here we go   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:  ..at least   :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
No wheels.

Metal has been used at least as long as glass.

Steve

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
I don't draw lines.I could care less what someone else considers traditional.I shoot bows that I like and don't worry about putting labels on them.  :archer:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline uncowboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
Trad yells at Compounds-Compounds yell ay Crossbows- They both yell at rifles-
  Why can't we all just get along? J.Michael

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
To me traditional is in the persons attitude not the equipment they carry.

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Traditional is what I pass down to my children and/or grandchildren.  :thumbsup:  I have a couple of recurves and three all natural longbows, but 50 years from now when I'm gone to the happy hunting grounds if anyone in my family is shooting one of my bows that will be traditional. :campfire:
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm with JD for the most part.  I think the spirit of traditional archery defines it as much as the equipment.  Relative to the bow itself,however,I think that if it doesn't have wheels it's traditional enough for me.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
No wheels and no cables...not a compound bow in any way.

I also feel that fiberglass bows definitely ARE traditional since they were way pre-compound.  I don't consider them 'privative', but certainly traditional.

Also, carbon lams don't make a bow non trad, nor does metal risers, they used modern materials and metal pre compound, and that's the same thing some guys are still doing today.

That's where Trad Gang draws the line anyway.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
Yup.. just what everyone else has said. I started with a Pearson Fiberglass Bow in the 60's BC (Before Compound). I also remember the Bear 76er! Somewhere.. I have to look it up...   in one of my Trad Archery books was a picture of a Recurve Bow with limbs plated with Silver... the bow was 5000 years old.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
For me traditional is a one piece bow made of wood or combination of wood and fiberglass. It doesn't have wheels, plunger, stabilizer, sights, clicker, mirrors, umbrella, tracers, expandable blades, or cables.

Large feathers, racoon tails, and beaverballs are acceptable along with fur quivers and caps.  

This is what I want, but I will not try to put this off on someone else. We can talk about what we think, but we have no right to expect everyone else to think the same way. That is what makes life interesting.

2fletch

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
It's simply defining terms.  You have compounds, and you have traditional bows (which don't have wheels) and can further be broken down in to modern and primitive.  "Modern" bows use modern materials (e.g. fiberglass, carbon laminates, etc...), primitive bows are made from wood, sinew, horn etc...

I don't really define 'traditional' as an attitude.  You can be a good hunter with a great attitude and shoot game at 1000 yards with a 'beanfield' rifle.  I wouldn't call that person traditional.  Conversely, you could carry a selfbow and be a total hunting slob.

So, you're either a 'hunter' or a 'slob'.  The equipment you use is up to you.

Offline Long Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
No wheels...that's it. My $.o2
Derek W.

"I never thought missing could be so much fun!"       -Me

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
IMO a compound bow is always going to be a compound bow. a traditional bow will always be a traditional bow. the words compound & traditional are used to describe a certain type of bow and that will not change. i don't think in 100 years we will call a compound bow a traditional bow, it will still be a compound. that's what it is. maybe this isn't the right analogy but a ford truck will always be a ford truck and a car will always be a car. on the other hand i do think the word traditional can describe a value or values, but i don't think we will ever say we have compound values. 2 cent's added where's my    :coffee:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©