3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joebuck Wannabe - Updated on Page 3  (Read 724 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joebuck Wannabe - Updated on Page 3
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Very Nice I need to hunt some turkeys
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Very inventive set up. Does the blind interfere at all?

Good luck!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
It was good to see you at P&Y Joe! You did a fantastic job on the Super Diablo.  :thumbsup:  
I don't think those turkeys stand a chance!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Great looking set up and bow, good luck!
-Jay

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Looks Good Joe. Good luck!   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by jcar315:
 Does the blind interfere at all?

No interference from the blind, although it does made it tough to follow arrow flight and see the hit on shots more than 10 yards or so.  I made a couple of adjustments today that seems to help, and now am seeing the arrow better.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Joe, you might need one of Joey's Wooden Hen scratch calls to complete the picture... been practicing with mine today in prep for hunting in MO next week.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline BA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Is there a sign up sheet for wanting to be Joebuck?  If so, sign me up!  Nice looking set up Whip - good luck.  Can't wait to see the pics.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Whip,
I'm not so sure about Joey.  Look what he did to me a couple of years ago.  I think he just likes to see guys dressed up kinda funny  :rolleyes:  

Martha Stewart wreath taped to my bow, torn rags adorning my body, and waiting in the woods for a snipe...errr I mean a turkey to walk by  :biglaugh:  It is definitely challenging but a lot of fun.  Good Luck...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Doc that sure is a perty wreath,i mean blind, you have there. Maybe you ought to add that purty flower to it as well.

Good luck Whip,I think your on to em now.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Tippit, don't sell Joey short. We have some fine snipes, er, turkeys, down here. I b'lieve that rig will work. Just get you a burlap bag, and whistle like Joey told you.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Don't read me wrong...that was definitely a tongue in cheek on Joey.  I think the man is truly innovative in his approach to hunting with the bow  :notworthy:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Well, I finally had a chance to put my plan into action this week.  First hour of the first morning I called in a nice tom with 4 jakes in tow.  He stepped out at 15 yards, but apparently my hen decoy wasn't pretty enough or he didn't feel like fighting the jake decoy.  Didn't seem spooked, just simply continued walking right on past me.  I was afraid to move for fear of spooking him.

Yesterday started out slow.  Had three toms gobbling from the trees, but all seemed to find hens immediately and none came my way.

Later in the morning I heard a gobble from the other side of my property.  I headed on over, and he continued to be kind enough to gobble occasionally so that I could get a good fix on his location.  I got the decoys up, settled in, and let out a series of yelps.

In a manner of minutes I heard strumming to my left.  Sure enough, out walked two jakes followed by a struting tom.  Right up to the decoys - this is cool!  But now the delemia - how the heck can I raise and draw my bow with so many sharp eyes so close?

I wanted the tom, and finally decided it was now or never.  I eased tension gradually on the string, expecting at any second this whole thing was going to blow up on me.  Just as I nearly reached full draw, and the struting tom conveniently stepped behind a bush.  I eased the string back down.

As he stepped out again, I once again drew back, and all I could think about was dang, this might just work!  I think I was a little premature with my release though, and my arrow passed through the puffed up feathers above his back.

They all ran off up the hill, and before even reaching the top he was back in strut and gobbling again.  Certainly not overly spooked, but they simply wandered off.

Man, that was close!   As disappointed as I am to have missed, I think I was actually just dumbfounded that I could actually get drawn on a turkey, (3 of them) at that range, without a blind, and not get busted.  

Although I have no bird in the freezer, I do have a new found confidence that I could actually pull this trick off.  And I have two more tags in my pocket that are valid in a couple more weeks.

I will be back!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Thats cool Joe, I am sure the turkey won't be so lucky next time!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
What I'm hearing is your new set up is a success!Now, its just a matter of using the new confidence in your set up.You can now concentrate on making the shot,and not wondering if the set up will work.
It seems I learn more from failed attempts then I do success.Is this the same for you?
Congrats on a great morning.
Bill

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Very cool Joe! Keep at them.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Keep after them Joe!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
You've got it exactly right Bill.  I just knew they were going to blow out of there any second and leave me hanging.  I was concentrating so hard on not being seen on the draw that I don't think I even thought about executing the shot.  Next time!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
You've got it exactly right Bill.  I just knew they were going to blow out of there any second and leave me hanging.  I was concentrating so hard on not being seen on the draw that I don't think I even thought about executing the shot.  Next time!
Exactly what I did last year my first time in the ghillie!!!  Not this year    :pray:

Stay with it bud    :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Grasshopper '!!!!!!      You got it!!!!   Here's a little trick I do I do not talk about much but my bow and arrow are same height needed to shoot bird at decoy by resting the bottom bow tip on the back of my boot about ankle high.  When I draw, I push out bow just a little to clear my boot and draw and shoot.......most important thing is keep your cool when bird is at decoy, draw when opportunity presents, and be confident.......my bow stays in bow stand 99 percent of time till right before showtime...then I place it on back of my boot at right height so no movement except draw is needed

Keep your chin up........
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©