3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Clothing For Blind Hunting???  (Read 403 times)

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Clothing For Blind Hunting???
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
I have heard recently that wearing Black in a blind aids in concealment due to the inside of most blinds being black, does this hold true in your opinions or just a myth?
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline Rebel Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Clothing For Blind Hunting???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Its true, just go to Wallie World get long sleeve tee shirt in black. Found face mask in black there, may bee too warm in late spring.
"It's not the Bow, It's the Indian'

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Yup, if you don't use the shoot thru stuff in windows it really helps, like said above early turkey I use a black long sleeve sweatshirt and as it warms up use the black long sleeve T. Facemask can be found at Cabeleas or maybe a sponsor here. Shawn
Shawn

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
I use my shoot thru screens and I'm pretty sure I could get away with neon pink if I had any. I do have some black clothes but dont really make sure I'm wearing it. Most of the time I like to camo up because i like to get out of the blind as well.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »
Don't forget gloves at least for your bow hand. The cheap brown jersey gloves work fine.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
That last is a valid point indeed, VTer. You never know when you are going to get caught (or called) outside of your blind. The black helps for sure but camo works (because of the outside of the blind) and the black does have it's limitations (being outside, and soaking up heat) IMHO too.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
VC in VN wore all black very effectively. Also, my paper thin synthetic coated black glove hides my bow hand for years w/o shooting distortion or other problems.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Although color is often mentioned relative to various camo/clothing, I have to believe that UV rays and the way animals perceive "color" plays a more important role than we give credit for. There are some very interesting studies regarding animals and UV rays and color perception. I think in some cases, color is not the important factor.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
All black from the waist up for me.

Choose what ever you desire for pants.

I do wear camo pants and have a camo shirt available. Have on more than one occassion when toting in or out a blind that an opportunity presents itself that required a stalk.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
I use the same designer as Friend above.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I shot a small buck this year from my DB blind. He came  in right after I got there and  had not put on my black gloves or facemask. He walked in front of the blind....back and forth....for over an hour but would never come in for a shot. I finally got him as he walked around the side of the blind and I could shoot thru a small opening. The next morning I had my wife sit in the blind and even with the screening i could see her bare face and hands clearly. Wear black or some dark camo and cover your face and hands even if you use the shoot thru screening.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I am with Bill and Friend, black waist up including face and head, screening or not. Keep a pull over camo shirt in turkey vest if I need to get out of blind and setup/stalk.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
If the blind is black inside it probably makes sense to wear black on the upper half of one's body.  I have an older DB blind that is not black inside.  Rather, just a lighter version of the outside camo pattern.  I usually wear a camo or plaid shirt and sometimes a head net and haven't been picked up yet.  I do use the mesh screens in the windows.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lil Red:
Don't forget gloves at least for your bow hand. The cheap brown jersey gloves work fine.
X2

Black is a must in a blind.  Was standing back looking into our blind this year, just checking it out from the birds view....My buddy was wearing a black hoodie, black hat and now face mask or gloves....He disappeared except for his hands and face.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Yep. Camo until you get in the blind, then all black from the waist up. I wear a long sleeve black t-shirt in summer with a light camo shirt over it. When I get int he blind I just take off the camo shirt.

During the winter, I wear layers, with camo outer, then when I get int he blind, I put on my Double Bull black fleece. The extra layer tends to keep me warmer when sitting in the blind in cold weather.

No matter the weather, I wear camo to the blind, then wear black inside. If I get out, I always switch to camo again.

Also wear black gloves. That was a lesson I had to learn the hard way. And, tape anything on your bow with black tape that is bright and shiny.

Have a buddy watch you move in the blind and draw your bow to see if they can see anything. If so, tape it with black tape or cover it.

Hope that helps...
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
you might as well wear red. its the first color to disappear in low light.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
i just wear something dark. I dont think it has to be black. With a shoot through screen, i don't  wear a face mask or gloves.

I love hunting out of a pop up.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
I just wear my hunting plaid shirt and no facemask. Works for me. I have worn a black shirt, probably doesn't hurt.

Several years back I shot a nice pronghorn buck at 8 yards out of a blind wearing nothing but my tighty whiteys! (It felt like 120 degrees in the blind that day)
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
I just would like to add that I always set my blinds up so the sun is at the back of them for the majority of the hunt. Early morning is a good example. When that fireball rises, it will shine inside your shooting holes like a flashlight. Keep the sun to your back!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Tested the visibility of bow hand and face with all but one side closed.  The opening was facing away from the sun, and we had the screen up.

We could see the bow hand easily without a glove at 15 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©