3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions about coon huntin' wit dawgs  (Read 748 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about coon huntin' wit dawgs
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
alot of good info here..ive done a good share of chasing coons.. and ran with some top notch dogs.. walkers and blueticks.. the best ive ever seen was a walker...It is not a bad idea to pick up an adult dog that is already trained.. that would be the easiest route.. if you get a pup try to run him with a good experienced hound and hopefully catch on..it can be hit or miss... some learn quick and some will get on a deer track and be gone..you can spend alot of time looking for your dog so you might want to look into one of those tracking collars..If i was just starting i'd look for a young dog that had some experience..... good luck and bring a compass with ya..cause everything looks different in the dark.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 02:02:00 AM »
Get up with someone that has a couple of hounds. Tell him what you have in mind and he might like to have some company...and pay for his gas or big bag of dog food.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 02:21:00 AM »
A bag of dog food is a lot cheaper.than gas.

Shock collars USED RIGHT...  :thumbsup:  will help break them from trash.(off game)..
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »
I really appreciate the info from everyone on here. I found a particular strain of Black Mouth Cur that is bred specifically for treeing coons and squirrels. L.H. Ladners BMC's. I'll be giving him a call and hopefully within a few months I'll have posted some pics of some trad killed treed coon/squirrel.  Once again thx for all the info everyone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©