3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gloves or Pad  (Read 525 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Gloves or Pad
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
What do you guys use and why? As you know i am just starting so please forgive the basic questions
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gloves or Pad
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Gloves cause I know that I would drop and loose a tab if I used them.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
I like the security of the glove but shoot a lot better with a tab.  So I carry two that are broken in when I hunt.  I've never lost one.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
I use a glove for no other reason than that is what I started with as a kid and never felt the need to change.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
Tab.

Some of the most popular tabs are between $10-20 bucks.  Gloves are/can be several times that.  (Hey, call me cheap)

You can trim a tab down to fit.  It a glove isn't quite right, shell out some more dough.

I'm left handed, so using my right hand for things while the tab is on isn't an issue for me (We lefties are use to doing things wrong-handed.)  Besides, I found that a tab gets in the way only a little more than a big thick glove.

I figured the if the olypmic guys use tabs, they must have a tendency to help consistency...and I need all the help I can get.
Micah 6:8

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
Glove for me, never really liked tabs but maybe I haven't found the right one   :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Berube

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Used both but right now use Superglove from 3 Rivers .

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Black Widow tab for me.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Like tabs and always carry a spare. They also can be slipped easily out of the way to provide more freedom to use your string hand. Cordovon tabs may last for years and years. Nice for hot weather shooting and can easily be adapted for cold weather. Even Fred Eichler shot his polar bear using a tab.

Have had six different gloves in the past that just didn't work for me. Lucky 7 changed my position about gloves and this one feels natural, comfortable and keeps me on mark. The one disadvantage I foresee will be shooting with a glove in hot weather. Gets hot, wet and sticky. Maybe I just need to learn to deal with it.

Choosing one over the other is still personal preferance. There are great hunters and great archers shooting either option. What I am suggesting is to try both. One option may obviously be better for you. I am quite sure you wish to walk in the shoe that fits best.

Best of luck!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Black Widow tab for me as well.
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
For me, I started out with a glove and shot with that for a loooooong time, even with my compound.  I recently tried a tab in archery class and don't imagine I'll go back to a glove anytime soon.  My release is much smoother and seemingly more consistent, YMMV.  In fact, right after I went down to the pro shop and picked up one of those Bateman Cordovan tabs.  So in the end, my best suggestion is for you to try both if possible.  Like Friend said, too many greats using both options.
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
rluttrell,

I had a similar post over in the Gear review forum...  I had similar questions...

Do you shoot anything now?

I have a 3 finger typical glove now,  A friend of mine shoots one of those FULL Shots by American leathers  he loves it.  I am going to pick up a tab and see what i like better...

The main thing which is kinda the obvious,  but i would say shoot what ever one your more comfortable with...

Let us know what you choose...

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Do you shoot anything now?

I am just learning and by learning I have had one lesson. I used a tab and found it a little awkward.  I was trying to put my fingers in the same position every time and just wondered if it would be easier with a glove.

I have a 3 finger typical glove now, A friend of mine shoots one of those FULL Shots by American leathers.
Has anyone else used American Leathers?
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
Black widow glove mostly, except in hot summer, then I use a calf hair tab with the spacer. But mostly I use the BW glove. I had to try what seemed like 1000 gloves before I found the black widow one, then I bought 4 just to make sure I didn't run out any time soon.

Here is a link to the glove I like -  http://www.blackwidowbows.com/store/210-PDQ-Glove-P20C13.aspx
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
I shoot a tab because it gives me a cleaner release than with a glove.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 01:29:00 AM »
I've always shot a tab for a couple of the same reasons mentioned. Shooting wise, I shoot a little better with tab. But I'm sure if a person made the switch, you could adjust just fine. The main reason I prefer the tab is for the freedom of using the fingers on my right hand. Little things like pulling a diaphragm call out of a pocket while elk hunting and such. Just have to find what you like best. Can't go wrong either way.
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
There is another thread that gives some insight on the full shot and other gloves....

Here it is...

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=102204

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
It's mostly about personal preference. Genearlly speaking, you either own a bunch of different gloves and tabs already, or you soon will... hehehe... I think most, if not all, traditional shooters have a box of gloves and tabs somewhere.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
In all my years of shooting bows, I have never tried a tab. Lots of folks use them and love them, so I'm probably missing out on something, but old habits die hard. It's the 'old dog, new trick' thing.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Angel tab, I carry 2 but have never lost one while hunting. I can shoot with a glove, but I get a better release the only thing for me is that a glove is quicker when grabbing the string. I actually use a glove when bunny huntin sometimes just for that reason. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©