3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Utah vs. Nevada ???  (Read 472 times)

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
Utah vs. Nevada ???
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Looks like I might have to change my name on here. Looking at moving to Salt Lake area or Reno. Anybody have thoughts from a hunting / trad direction as the pros or cons of either one.
pm's welcome if you want to comment just to me.
thanks guys. I have mixed feelings about leaving Oregon but it's looking like it's going to happen sometime.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Utah vs. Nevada ???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
If I had a choice I would take Salt Lake over Reno. Nevada and Utah both have many opportunities for hunters. I believe Utah has more of each species and more habitat therefore having the edge.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Canyon:
If I had a choice I would take Salt Lake over Reno. Nevada and Utah both have many opportunities for hunters. I believe Utah has more of each species and more habitat therefore having the edge.
X2!  :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
We have a few more opportunities to walk around with broadheads  :)  The deer are way down and unless you have some points, the rest of the species are out. You can hunt spike/cows everyyear. The plus is that you are close to NV,CO, and WY which have much better hunting.
There are a few trad guys around, just no trad only shoots, and not many shoots period.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Certainly a much bigger population base in SL. Much better OTC hunting opportunities in UT. Fewer people in Reno. Skiing in both great people in both and Cabela's stores in both-hard to go wrong...................   :wavey:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I still have a hold of Okie's shirt sleeve...not ready to let him leave yet! Just starting to put together the woodshop, going to build bows, getting to hunt together again...and he goes looking at moving out of state! Oh well, it will give me a good reason to hunt of state more!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Utah. Ive been to both but got a bad taste from Reno. Saw a lot more game in Utah and seemed to be much easier to pull a tag.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Just from pictures I've seen Utah would take it hands down. Lots more aspen covered mountains and less windy sage flats.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
There are big bucks behind every tree and elk galore   :)  Come on out, we need more traditional guys here and Steadman will show you all of the good spots to hunt.
Shoot Straight

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I lived in both and I would say Utah. more game animals.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline tpanic41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I've been all over the country (42 states) and I'm still partial to Utah.
FYI... We will have a trad only shoot the first weekend of June, so Utah is coming around...
Conner, Steadman... Put that weekend on your calendars, as we are going to need your support. You can get shoot info on timparchers.com

Kevin

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I will look forward to that Kevin. The range better not be set up by the compound guys  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
As someone else said, "Utah, you will be close to Wyoming"    :D
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Without a doubt there is more game in Utah and you will get to hunt more often. Being able to buy a spike/cow elk tag every yr is a huge bonus imo, especially if you like to eat the stuff. Can't do that in Nevada, its been 4 yrs since I drew a cow elk tag in Nv. Sad thing is I'm just trying to burn the points so I can start putting in for bulls, cow points don't work for bulls and you can't have both. Its getting harder to draw for deer too but from what I've seen Nv has bigger deer.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks all. Big help. Shedrock - funny.
Looks like I better push for Utah.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I think I would go with Utah but I am somewhat bias. Nevada would have less hunting oportunity for big game with the exception of sheep. If you come here pm me and help you with anything you need.

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Utah is a great place to live and hunt. There are very, very few trad shooters here and interest in the sport is almost non existent. There are a lot of archery stores around, but with compound equipment only.  They look at you a little funny when you walk in to their range with a stick bow.
~Brock

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
The economy in Utah is one of the best, the wildlife management is one of the worst in the country.  It's a broke system, in my opinion.  Other states are close by so a guy can have a quality experience.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Keep in mind that Utah is going to a more limited draw for deer starting next year and as Steadman stated the deer are down here. He is spot on I can go to prime winter range that I used to see 150 deer and I am seeing ten or twenty if I am lucky. That being said I love Utah it is a great place to live and raise a family. I am also only two hours away from the nevada border and I have spent many a day in the high desert camping and when lucky enough to draw a tag having really good hunts. I know more trad guys in Nevada than Utah. They have some great shoots in the n.e. part of the state that I go to each year.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
Helo, I agree 101%. Great place to live but the hunting is going down hill. But this next year 2012 will be trying for a Wyoming tag. I can just taste a Whitetail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©