3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Take down vs one piece  (Read 459 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Take down vs one piece
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
What are some benefits of take down vs one piece bows or visa versa?  

Is it just that you can get different limbs for takedowns or portability or something else?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Take down vs one piece
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
The main advantage of a take down for me is ease of travel.  If you are going to fly with your bow it makes things a lot easier.  Just take it down and pack in your luggage or small case.  Some people like more mass weight and a take down is usually a little heavier than a one piece.  If you want differect weight limbs for a take down, I would get them when you first order the bow.  As prices go up over the years you may end up paying more for a new set of limbs several years later than you paid for the bow initially.  And sometimes the bowyer changes limb designs and either quits making your limb or charges extra for them.  I have one take down recurve already but doubt I would buy another one.  I just prefer the look of a one piece recurve.  Now on a longbow, I would buy a take down if it had a bow bolt or socket type system.  They look just like a one piece.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Two piece take downs are not noticeably heavier most of the time. No reason to not get it really, other than price.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I have two take down recurves. I like the added weight of a take down since it seems to be easier to shoot more accurately in a moderate crosswind.

With that said, if I ever get another custom built recurve, it'll be a one piece recurve for the simple fact my first recurve was a one piece Bear Super Kodiak and that was many decades ago.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
The only reason I got a 3 piece takedown recurve is so I can use a limb bolt mounted quiver. I got fed up with other quiver attachment systems getting loose or vibrating at the shot.

I have never taken my bow apart to travel, but my Selway limb bolt quiver is rock solid.   :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
my next bow will be a 3 piece. just would make it much easier to take it around in my car with other gear, like the fact i can buy a few different wieght limbs if i choose to. plus the one im ordering flows like a one piece and the hardware is hidden well. cant wait till its my turn
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
I'd just add that the 3-piece takedowns with the ILF limbs have tons of limb options from other vendors and aren't likely to have trouble finding limbs in the future.  The 3 Rivers Dalaa can use ILF limbs with an adapter bushing.
Lancaster Archery usually has some brand or another of ILF limbs on closeout for a good price if you want some light draw weight limbs for rehab or kids or whatever.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I always preferred the one piece, until I had to travel with it! I have recently become a big fan of 2 piece bows. They look just like  1 piece bows but travel much easier. 3 piece bows just don't look as good to me.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Even though I rarely take my bows apart or even unstring them. TD bows are good looking and can be taken down if you wish. And you can always order extra limbs. It is good to have all kinds of bows.   :bigsmyl:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I've had my share of both and I find myself being drawn more toward one piece bows, like I have now. With every take down I've owned, I hardly ever, if at all, actually took it down. As a matter of fact, as with all glass laminated bows I've owned, I rarely ever even unstrung it either. I'm just getting to where I find a one piece bow's light weight very pleasing to me. The added weight of a bow quiver is the only additional weight I find I want or need.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Great information everyone.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
If you travel a lot, the take down ability of a bow would definitely be handy.  If not, you can't beat the looks of a good one piece recurve or longbow.  Since I don't fly with a bow, I only shoot one piece bows.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Haven't owned a one pc since 1984.

I don't hunt with an attached quiver thus mass wt is high on my priority list.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Two pieces for hunting bows are what I like.  A bit more mass to absorb hand shock, and looks just like a single piece bow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
Like the added weight, easier to travel with, shoot different weight limbs.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
I like the added weight, and the portability of a take down bow.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally I wanted a one piece LB, I got a real good deal on a 3 pc. built by the same bowyer and at first thought it was a bit heavy. I am glad for the extra weight as it does seem to steady the the bow arm and help under windy conditions.

I also ended up going on a Texas hunt and had to fly with the bow, it makes it much easier to travel with than a one piece. You should know one thing though about traveling with a take down bow, they don't have to allow you to put it in your carry on bag, they said to me that the riser could be used as a club, so I had to put it with the check in luggage, this was after I had called to see if I could put it in my carry on bag because the arrows were in the check in bag.

It's still a lot easier to travel with even with the car.

I would suggest you get a take down first, and then down the road get your one piece. If your not going to travel do it in reverse.

Hope this helps.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Recently acquired a three piece with ILF limbs.  I've owned other take downs but never utilized the ability to change limbs.  With the ILF bow, I've used three different limb sets for different applications and really enjoy the ability the change and still have the same 'feel' since the riser doesn't change.

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Metal riser takedown bows also generally have inserts for stabilizer, plunger, sights, quiver, etc. so they are much more versatile for different setups. Takedowns are much cheaper and easier to ship if you decide to sell it- or send it ahead on a trip so you don't get ripped off by the airline baggage check fees.

Offline Rosco1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Takedowns for me. On my longer hunts it is much easier for me to take an extra set of limbs instead of a backup bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©