3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow vs recurve???  (Read 498 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow vs recurve???
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I've never shot a longbow....what are some plusses and minuses of longbows and recurves?  I find recurves more pleasing to look at but looks don't kill deer....
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow vs recurve???
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
I favor longbows for hunting,most longbows have less physical weight and seem to be more quiet when shot.Of course I am partial to longbows for many years.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
For me they are lighter in physical weight and I shoot them better. I started out with a recurve by recommendation of the shop in my area. Since then I have sold my recurves and have longbow.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Most longbows are quieter and the majority of the ones I've shot set the arrow closer to the hand. I shoot both but prefer the longbow.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
It's a personal choice for me,I started out with longbows and just prefer them.I never really cared for a recurve type grip.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I like the best of both worlds: the hybrid. Basically, a longbow on steroids!   :saywhat:    :saywhat:      :thumbsup:    :cool:       :archer2:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
They are great both  I shot longbows for 20years  and hung them up last year, now I shoot recurve going to shoot them for 20 years then I will be able to tell you
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I shoot and enjoy both.  Usually I hunt with the recurve because it is handier in the thick brush here.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
I prefer a recurve. I like more weight in the hand that you can get with the larger riser.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I started with recurves and they all had pistol grips. Shot them for 45 years. Then, on an urge, bought a hybrid longbow. I never shot the hybrid accurately. The longbow grip never felt comfortable to me. It always made me like I was fighting with the bow. Tried for 2 years to get used to the grip. Gave up and sold the hybrid. That was the first and last longbow for me.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
More riser weight, generally less hand shock also.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Have both and can shoot both about the same. Figure out what you like, what's comfortable for you that's all that matters. Either can be just as accurate as the other. As far as + or - of each I'd say about 90% depends on the design and materials in the bow, the other 10% is how you shoot a bow. To just find out what a longbow feels like go to bass pro or cabelas and shoot what they have. Other option find someone that has one you can shoot. One thing you'll notice on here is no matter who it is everyone is still searching for THAT ONE BOW that has it all, it's a never ending search few have found.
Aim small miss small

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
i like my longbows more.  i like hybrids
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
With a good r/d longbow can offer the benefits of both. You can get the speed, smooth draw, and lack of handshock of the recurve...AND...get the simplicity, stability, durability, and quietness of the longbow.

Just something to consider.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Many positives with regard to either.

The main difference may be individualy personal for a competent trad archer. Which ever becomes a greater part of you and provides the greater fulfillment can only be determined by you.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
Started with a short longbow as a kid, and bought numerous recurves, and longbows since. I like both. Longbows are more stable, durable and easier to shoot. My recurves are modified with a low rest, to point easier, and the grips are low.

I believe two quotes are true, "it is difficult to shoot a recurve with one style [grip, etc] and a longbow with another", and "you have to decide whether you want to shoot targets [competition], or hunt, because the two do not go together". The first was in an article by Fred Asbell, as I remember it, and the other by Howard Hill.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by thumper15:
Have both and can shoot both about the same. Figure out what you like, what's comfortable for you that's all that matters. Either can be just as accurate as the other. As far as + or - of each I'd say about 90% depends on the design and materials in the bow, the other 10% is how you shoot a bow. To just find out what a longbow feels like go to bass pro or cabelas and shoot what they have. Other option find someone that has one you can shoot. One thing you'll notice on here is no matter who it is everyone is still searching for THAT ONE BOW that has it all, it's a never ending search few have found.
Problem with the longbows that you will find most often in stock at Bass Pro or Cabelas is that they will be the lower priced and lower quality bows available from the larger bow companies. In general custom longbows are much nicer to shoot, and in many cases the same of even less in price.

See if you can find a club that caters to longbow shooters and you should have the opportunity to try some nice customs.

I have only one longbow at this time, actually a hybrid, but it is one of my favourites. Course it is also by far the most expensive bow that I own.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Archer66 - I shot recurves all through my teens (the 1970s) , became reasonably skillful, and hunted small game and varmints (groundhogs) successfully.  I got back to shooting and bowhunting 10 years ago with compounds, and recently returned to traditional bows for the challenge - and the romance.  For the latter reason, I decided to try a longbow this time - I wanted a bow that looked like something Robin Hood would shoot, or at least Howard Hill.  I have long arms, and the one thing I notice with an off-the-rack bow is a bit of stacking in the longbow that I don't recall from my recurves (granted, that was a LONG time ago). I also have small hands, though, and the larger risers and grips of many recurves are uncomfortable to me. I DO wonder about how I'll hunt with this bow.  I like pop-up ground blinds, but I'll clearly need to make some serious adjustment to accommodate the longbow.  Would have to for even the shortest recurve, though, too.

Good luck with whatever you choose, hope you ahve as much fun as I am.
Jim

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is the type of grips can make a pronounced difference in draw length.  Most folks who shoot a straight (Howard Hill) longbow grip, do so with a low wrist.  Most recurve grips utilize a shape favoring a higher wrist.  For me, this results in a one and a half to two inch difference in draw length.  (long bow shorter than recurve).  Some of the 'hybrid' bows have grips that fall somewhere in between.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I shot recurves for over 10 years.Been shooting longbows for 2 years.I rather the longbows because there lighter and whisper quiet.I also find them to be a little more forgiving.Just my 2 cents.hope this helps
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©