3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow vs recurve???  (Read 497 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow vs recurve???
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hud:
Started with a short longbow as a kid, and bought numerous recurves, and longbows since. I like both. Longbows are more stable, durable and easier to shoot. My recurves are modified with a low rest, to point easier, and the grips are low.

I believe two quotes are true, "it is difficult to shoot a recurve with one style [grip, etc] and a longbow with another", and "you have to decide whether you want to shoot targets [competition], or hunt, because the two do not go together". The first was in an article by Fred Asbell, as I remember it, and the other by Howard Hill.
Following that line of logic it would not be advisable to shoot 3D targets for practice. If I was a critter I would far sooner be hunted by someone who never shot any 3D because there is no way they are gonna be as effective as someone who regularly practices their form and target acquisition on the very realistic targets.

Of course 3D in its most competitive sense may have very little to do with actual hunting situations. It does, however, give us the continuous experience of shooting under pressure, exactly the nature of shots while hunting.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow vs recurve???
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
I own both longbows and a recurve and I have to say that I enjoy shooting longbows better but I can shoot my recurve more accurately. One thing to consider is that a recurve requires a stringer and a longbow does not. I find this one less thing to deal with and carry around when I am hunting or at a shoot. It is in the end a personal preference.  :wavey:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©