3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to "Paint" bars on feathers?  (Read 422 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How to "Paint" bars on feathers?
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Hey all.

I'm trying to "paint" bars on some solid feathers.
I've tried aniline dyes in methanol which I heated up a bit.

Then used a tiny paint brush to try to brush it on.
The dye just wants to flow down the feather grooves in straight lines instead of letting me put the "blotchy" type bars like found on true flights.

The dye seems to stay on and dye the feather ok just cant get anything other than straight lines.

I tried soap and H2O before dying the feathers.
It seemed all that did was make the feathers rough looking like seems to happen every time feathers get soaked.

Any help would really be appreciated.

thanks    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to "Paint" bars on feathers?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Majik Marker

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
+ 2 with the marker.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
For $10 you can buy a whole kit of waterproof markers in various colors at WalMart ... I use them for my fly tying, but they'd work just as well for fletching.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Jeeeezzz..

Sometimes I get so stuck on trying to "make" something that works I don't see the obvious.
Thanks for pulling my head out of my donkey.

Funny though, I did just figure out a way to use the black dye and methanol. Had about an ounce of methanol and had to add a LOT MORE dye... to the point that some wouldn't dissolve. Then a drop of dish soap, about a 1/4 tsp Acetic acid (super concentrated white vinegar.) If you use a tiny artist brush you can let the dye flow a bit and it gives it a pretty natural kinda splotchy look.
Especially when I used mostly brown and a little black die. This stuff doesn't have the lingering smell either.

The marker is WWWAAAAYYY easier though...lol

Thanks guys.
      :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
Here is a great link the guys sent me when i had an arrow making question.  Enjoy.   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000116
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the link.

Is the fieblings (sp) leather dye water proof?
also, does it have a strong smell like magic marker?

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
Not many people use acetic acid or know what it is. You must be a lab rat (lol) like me   :)
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
Sharpie.   :)    :thumbsup:

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
They definitely passed "glance" inspection on your pink string thread.

They look nice!

Have to admit I worry about the smell a bit.
Seems like marker smells forever.

I did a few feathers with marker last night.
They look decent..not the markers fault I just can't draw to save me. I'm going to see how long the smell lingers.

Thanks for the help

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
John,

I guess I must have missed something.  Why are you trying to put bars on solid feathers in the first place........why not just get real barred turkey feathers and die them what ever solid color you want.  Wouldn't the bars still show through?

Just to see if you can is a good enough answer - just curious.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I'm financially impaired ( aka almost Broke )and don't have much time to go feather hunting.

The solids are almost half the price of Art. barred.
Good quality nat. barred are just too pricey to buy.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
John,

I understand.  

What I did last year was shoot my own turkey and then got the word out to anyone turkey hunting to save wings for me.  By the time the season was over I had wings from seven turkeys.  Here in Wisconsin we have to register our turkey so hanging out at the turkey registration place always yields wings.  At the time Stringstretcher was still grinding feathers - I guess I would try to grind my own next time.

Good Luck,
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Sharpie for me. Use both the fine and medium point.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I am going this weekend to pick up some feathers from a small turkey farm.  The natural feathers I use shed water much better than the mass produced ones we get from Trueflight etc.  I am hoping the white ones I get this weekend will shed water as well as the wild ones.  I like white feathers and I live in Seattle.  Yesterday I shot for an hour in the rain and my Gateways were wilted where as the wild ones were not affected after being drenched.....
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
I too,have been experimenting,and self learning how to process my own feathers/dying etc.and overlooked the power of the sharpy.Recently tried it and was impressed with how good it stayed on.I lucked out and got to shoot 2 domestic turkeys for a lady that she raised,and then they decided to try and kill her laying hens.It has since turned into a common problem.Good way for me to get feathers,now I need a better way to sand them.Check out how Rob does it on the how to page if you havent.Pretty cool.One last bit here is that Ive got a friend whom make imitation eagle feathers for mtn.man stuff that usesan airbrush and textile ink.I want to get that set up.They are awesome.Cant tell them from the real thing.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
I use the magic marker also and dab it on, it give the blotchy look you are after. you can also use a sharpie to give it more detail. I use to do both sides but am wondering if jsut one side is needed. it does show thru pretty fair.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I am going to give it a try, thanks for the info!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Yea, that looks good. The sharpie works great. I found a kit of approximately 50 misc. color sharpies for about $15. They work great!!!
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©