3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buzz Off Clothing for chiggers and other nasties  (Read 131 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Buzz Off Clothing for chiggers and other nasties
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Have any of you tried using this product? It is sold in the form of shirts, hats and other clothing that come pretreated. I see that Orvis carries it as well as LL bean and thought Id try a shirt and cap if any of you could vouch for it.LL Bean has the best merchandise return in the world but Id prefer to hear from a trusted source before ordering anyway.

Thanks, Izzy

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buzz Off Clothing for chiggers and other nasties
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I do have a hat that is "Buzz Off" treated that I picked up cheap when I worked for a fly shop that was affiliated with Orvis.  It works, but only for the covered skin.  It does not provide a "bubble".  The permethrin is a contact deterrent only.  While hunting in GA, I hung a Thermocell off the back of my pack:  it worked well.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Izzy don't know but I got eaten up with chiggers at Ray's around July 4 a couple of years ago. I had a thermacell on but it was as hot as 98 degrees out. A fellow there had a spray can of Repel Permanone which you can get at Walmart and it is supposed to work. You spray the stuff all over your clothes before you put them on. I'm bringing two cans.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
My son uses the socks-he loves them. No experience with other articles of clothing.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
I didn't notice any noticeable benefit from my Orvis Buzz-off shirts.
Now I just buy regular(cheaper)shirts and spray them(socks,pants,etc.)with permethrine, works great for ticks and chiggers.The key is to really saturate them and let them dry overnight(outside)
Thermacell for mosquitoes. I hunt and fish all summer in Florida if that counts for anything.

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
My son and I just used the pullover Insect shield brand shirts from LL Bean at Rays. I only turned my Therma-cel on once in the evening down by the swamp. I don't think they are treated with permethrine but with chrysanthimum(sp). They seemed to work well and a bonus is that the material they are made of doesn't stick to you like cotton does when you sweat. Having said that the guys that weren't using the shirts weren't bothered to bad by mosquitos either.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I was down at Ray's with the guys from Maine and I wore Insect Shield shirt, pants, and bandana. No ticks and no mosquito bites. The stuff works.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I have used the hat while fishing in Wyoming; seemed to deter mosquitos pretty well, but obviously only around my face. I'm taking it to Alaska this summer for the ultimate test.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©