3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS?  (Read 594 times)

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS?
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
mainly hunting in Tx. with a few trips out of state from time to time.

what GPS price level is worth a crap?

I see a bunch at the 100 mark,but are the reliable? I understand in the mountains they might not be the best but how about the hill country and in michigan?
thanks
kirk
kirk

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
First off let me say I am a GPS nut.  I go out and plan dorky games with my GPS... love 'em.  That being said, I have one that cost me $70.  Works GREAT, very light, small, perfect for hunting.  Works great in the mountains, we don't have the full coverage deciduous trees with tons of leaves, but I have never not been able to get at least a decent reading.  Check out Amazon.com for some refurbished units, they are great deals.  My only recomendation is to get something with replaceable batteries (some companies offerings are internal, if they run out in the bush, you are SOL) and further, get the batteries that also power your other electronic gear, mine is AAA.  Basically anymore, the higher you pay, the more mapping features you are getting.  First big bump in price is color screen.  In my opionion and experience, neither road maps nor color is needed for hunting (or my dorky GPS games either)
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
Well stated Ninja,  less is more, when you are in the woods you want something that will work and is easy to use.

just to add a little...if you are going to pack it anyway a little bigger screen is a little nicer, especially if maps are important to you.

I just got a Brunton and it seems to be working fine.  I did have an explorist series form magellan, and it seemed to take forever to get a lock.  The brunton is good to go in just a few seconds.  those are the only two I have tried so not a lot of imput.

easy easy easy  that is how I want my gps

jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
My etrex legend hasn't let me down yet.   :thumbsup:  Average price is $150 for it.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
been using an etrex vista for close to 5 years here in virginia. i use it to mark deer sign, stand locations so i can get back to them in the pitch black. it has worked flawlessly thus far. it doesn't take the place of what's between the ears but is a handy tool.  i found it very easy to use.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
What elk ninja said.
I have a $100 unit (Magellan) and it's accurate enough for Geocaching (www.geocaching.com). Unless you need mapping cability, anything more is a waste in my opinion.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline CRO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
I have an I-HUNT from Lawrance and it works great in Oklahoma but I took it to Colorado on an elk hunt and couldnt get hardly any signal at all.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
For those who hunt in deep cover, canyons etc., I recommend the Garmin 60CSx. It's ability to quickly grab satellites even in deep cover is amazing! Worth the money in my opinion. My Etrex Visa pales in comparison.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
I like the Garmin 72 if you can still get one.  Basic with all the features you need.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
i like the garmins myself, about 100 bux and accurate. Lots of way points, and all the other cool thangs. just my 2 cents.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
I use an etrex legend and am very happy with it. Just wish I could do everything it's capable of.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
I have a Lowrance Ifinder Hunt, has all the options that I could want and its easy to use.  Good mapping software but the only draw back with the memory cards is: you can only format so many memory cards to one reader (keeps people from selling maps) and the cards can only be used in that reader.  Not bad if you buy larger memory cards so that you can copy larger map files to them.  I have the stock card and it works fine and I haven't had to purchase any others.  As far as signal, thick overhead is a killer.  Just a tip, no matter which one you buy don't leave your map or compass at home, they never run out of batteries and you don't need to worry about signals.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Zane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
The Garmin 60CSx is a great recommendation. Its an excellent unit that you wont be disappointed in if you want more than just basic GPS capability. The ability to upload maps, auto-routing, electronic compass and barometric sensors are great additions if you have any level of 'geekiness' in you. If you just want a basic GPS, a Garmin Etrex or Gecko are great inexpensive choices.

zane

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
I have the $100 Etrex (yellow) $10 more you can get camo. I used it in co. unit 75 with no problems. Take an extra set of batts with you. I dont even keep mine on during the hunt. I just mark camp or the truck and turn it on if needed.
Garmin called and asked if I was ready for an upgrade. I said dont need it. JMO
G
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »
My Garmin Etrex Vista works great, unless you are in woods with dense treetops.  Then it's "spotty".

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
I have the $100 Etrex (yellow) $10 more you can get camo.
Words from experience: don't purchase GPS's, knives, wallets, or flashlights in camo - they're difficult enough to find in yellow!
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
I agree...why have to HUNT for safety equipment, your wallet, or a cell phone. Never understood buying anything like that in camo.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
My entire family and most of my hunting buddies have gone to the Rino series. A little more expensive than the Etrex but with the dual GPS and radio you can not beat it.

The big plus for our group is being able to send locations to each other. This has come in handy quite a few times as far as unscheduled link ups.

Chris

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I knew nothing about GPS units and did some research on this site and elsewhere looking for comments pro/con.  After a visit to my Sportsman Warehouse and getting their advice, I bought the Garmin Summit for around $150.  I have been playing/practicing with it and am very impressed with its simplicity, accuracy, etc.  It certainly has more features than I will use, and it does not go through batteries the way I expected.
Lon Scott

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
I would definitely buy a Garmin.  The model is up to you.  I would make sure that it has a port for an external antenna, which will take care of the tree canopy spottiness.  I use the small, about the size of an oreo cookie, magnetic one.  It only has about 8 ft. of cable and I roll it up and put it in my pocket and simply tie the antenna to the shoulder of my vest.  

I would also spend a little extra for memory.  You might not think that you will download maps, but it will be nice to be able to.  You will probably use it more than you think.

I have a 76CS and use mine daily cruising timber.  I have compatible software and it is amazing what all you can do and find with them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©