3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hit 'em like HH & knocking point???  (Read 437 times)

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
Hit 'em like HH & knocking point???
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
If like me you cannot find a copy of John Schulz's hit 'em like howard hill . I found it posted in 4 parts on facebook  today. I did not realize that HH and John Schulz both place arrow "ABOVE" knocking point on the string. I have always knocked under and never even considered the reverse. But watching it definitely makes sense.
Who else does this? , any thoughts or comparisons? I am going to try it and see.7C

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hit 'em like HH & knocking point???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
I've been placing the arrow above the nock for almost 20 years. I got the idea when I saw Schulz doing it in his video. I also grab my arrow from the nock as Schulz teaches.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
I shoot my Hills pretty much as per John Shculz in "Hittin 'em like Howard Hill "...swing draw etc , even trying to always have my arrows cut "net" ... all works just dandy for me
The only thing I do differently is nock under the locater ... tried that way but sometimes my arrow flight suffered and i just find nocking easier nocking my arrows under .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I think that nocking above is only an advantage while using the back quiver and trying to get a second arrow from the quiver to the string faster.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I tried placing the arrow above the nock. Didn't work for me. I don't like my nocks very tight on the string, so the forward weight on the arrow tended to lift the nock end up away from the nocking point. With the arrow below, it holds against the nocking point. This works pretty good for me, specially in a ladder stand.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Tried (brass) nock under once & shot great for a short while. Maybe heavy middle finger under started pushing the arrow upwards caused my shoot & tuning wreck afterwards. Tie-ons above only since.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I have the brass under the arrow nock as well...used to shoot the opposite..whatever works for you.
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I've been shooting with my nocking point below the arrow nock for 50 odd years without problem.

I really don't see an advantage of one over the other except that it might be possible to pressure the nocked arrow a little low with the nocking point above the arrow.

You are much more apt to experience poor arrow flight if your arrow nock is low than if it is a little high.

Hill's whole style was developed around fast delivery of his shots. We seldom have a need to get a second arrow to the string "that" fast these days.

Do what you like.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Well said, Charlie.  About the only advantage to nocking over is it keeps the arrow nock from slipping up the string and the arrow from falling off the bow if one leaves an arrow nocked and the bow hung while on stand.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
I agree with Charlie on this one.

This is one case where I believe I won't "fix-it". It ain't broke!...lol

I can load my arrow without looking by trapping the string low and bringing my arrow up to the nocking point.

My opinion... because it works for me.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I use a nocking point above and below.  Some time ago there was a thread here that had a link to a slow motion video showing how much the arrow moved on the string at release with one nock above the arrow.  Probably happens with nock below as well.

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
On this same point, is there a general height placement of the knock in relation to the shelf that most people go by?? With my knocking square I go 1/4" to 3/8" higher then the shelf.
 Should we basically strive to get the arrow placement as horizontal as possible between shelf and string or are there other factors?? Thanks.7Crows

Offline Jesse_83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I'm going to try nocking above the nock point on my new hill.  If you switch from nocking under to nocking over you'll notice that the arrow tends to slide up because you're not used to having no resistance above the arrow nock.  For this reason you have to keep a small amount of pressure downwards on the arrow nock.  I have a feeling this might promote a low elbow on the drawing arm, and a straight line from point to elbow.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
I like to nock my arrow and hang it on a little hook or limb stub when I hunt--nocking above will cause the arrow to slide up the string every time--so one has to go above too and you've totally lost the entire idea.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
I can nock a 2nd arrow just as quick shooting nock under as I can shooting nock over and I can do both without looking. I shot both ways...years one way, and then the other. IMO, the ONLY difference is with nock over the weight of the tip can lift the nock...while nock under prevents that.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
I use tie on nocking points above and below; lighter than a brass nock and they leave no room for error.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
on B50 strings I only nock above, If I am sliding the arrow up the string when shooting, it will not matter if there is a nocking point to stop it, I am doing something horribly wrong that is going to make bad arrow flight.  On skinny strings with harder serving materials, I put one below and a tiny floss bead above for hunting.  there are times when it is nice to hang the bow in a ready position and not have the arrow fall off of those skinny strings.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Either way can work great for split finger shooters, but 3 under shooters can't nock over!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I've benn nocking on top for twenty odd years also.I've killed many rabbits on the second shot but I think you can also shoot as fast nocking under.It's just a matter of what you get used to IMO.  :archer:

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I'v done it both ways,doesn't seem to matter to much to me. works ether way
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather