3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: looking for a short bow recommendation  (Read 484 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for a short bow recommendation
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Check out the Shrew Classic Hunter. Awesome bow in a compact package.

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
beeler bows,was able to hit two birds in the same day at 30 and 25 yards. cant top customer service either

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rank Bull:
Look into the JK Traditions Kanati. I love mine. Very smooth and quick plus you can't beat the price.
X2

Plus Dave Beeler's 56" bows.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Ottawa Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I have to agree with Arwin! Shot  St. Joe River Bows  54" and 56" recurves are super smooth and FAST!

Their 58" longbows are also a fantastic bow and a great option for blind hunting--Quick, Quiet, and Smooth on the draw. I love mine!

******please re-size pix*****
St. Joe River Bow 58" Longbow 48# @ 28"

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Like Doug suggested, Little Hoot by Lee Hoots, awesome short bow !!! real smoooooth, no hand shock and dead quiet !! I had a chance to shoot then a Kalamazoo and went home and ordered one that week...couple more days and it's mine !!!
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and look at the Lost Creek "Life Ender" longbows. Short (54"s) and sweet!
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
52" "QuarterMoon" flatbow 50# @ 28"

Here's a pic at full draw.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Fedora stalker is a really nice short bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Get a Bob lee Hunter one piece, short lite and fast. Bob Lee is way under rated.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ottawa Archer:
[qb] I have to agree with Arwin! Shot  St. Joe River Bows  54" and 56" recurves are super smooth and FAST!

Their 58" longbows are also a fantastic bow and a great option for blind hunting--Quick, Quiet, and Smooth on the draw. I love mine!
Ottawa,  what's the limbs on that bow?  Man that is PURDY!!!    :bigsmyl:  

As for the short bow question - I'm fond of my 56" Thunder Child 2pc built by the big guy.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
No one has mentioned the best yet, and for me that is an RER Arroyo, very quick,very quiet and a great shooter. They come in 54"s so about 50"s when strung up. The workmanship is second to none and you can get a nice choice of woods even for their base bow!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Wow, It may take some time to look for all these and do some research ...thanks all.

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Another reccomendation for the Hoots or addiction bow same thing awesome piece of wood.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Rodney Wright has a short recurve.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I'm with a couple others on here I love my St. Joe river bow!!  I have a 29.5 inch draw and they set me up with a 60 inch longbow that is smooth as silk!!  I'm getting ready to order a recurve aswell they make some great bows!! I've shot one of ther 54 and 56 inch recurves and it blows me away how smooth they shoot even with my longer draw!!!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
It is hard to beat a Shrew for a short, light, handy, good shooting and good looking bow. With a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter or Lil' Favorite, people here with 32"+ draw lengths can comfortably shoot them. The biggest problem with a Shrew is finding one for sale or waiting a year and a half to get one made, but that happens when a product is so good and demand is high. Bob Morrison has some excellent bows that can be short if you start with a short riser and don't have a long draw length. Bob has been one of the most innovative bowyers of our time and brought foam cores and carbon fiber to the forefront in traditional hunting bows. Some folks here have good things to say about various other short bows, but I don't have experience with most of them. Big Jim's Thunderchild and Lee Hoots' bows look nice and have received praise by many who own them. Someday I would like to shoot them and compare them to my Shrews, but I am extremely happy with the latest materials available in the Shrews (with some friendly guidance from Bob Morrison) that really make exceptional bows when constructed by a skilled bowyer like Gregg Coffey. At this point, the "advanced" materials are not available from Big Jim and Lee Hoots, although pretty much every bowyer offers bamboo as a limb core material, which has been one of the standards for many years and performs very well. I like takedowns for traveling, and the Shrew and Hoots bows can be made with BowBolts, while Big Jim uses the Locket Socket system. Both connections work very well. The Locket Socket is reputed to be stronger, but that only matters on heavy poundage bows. I have a BowBolt on a 68# bow (and on several lighter bows) that works very well and is plenty strong enough. Big Jim has used his Locket Socket on bows in excess of 80# without problems, but most of us can't draw a bow that heavy anyway. In addition to the two piece bows, Morrison and others make three piece bows that are very strong and travel well. I know there are other nice, short bows out there like the St. Joe, the RER, the Black Swan, etc., and it is nice to hear the owners speak up about them. A good, short bow is hard to beat in many of today's hunting situations where we shoot from tight spots in tree stands, pop-up blinds, and other ground blinds. Just compare a 56" bow with a more conventional 64" bow, and the advantages can be enormous in the right circumstances. I personally shoot my short Shrews and Morrisons about as well as my longer bows. I also own or have owned a couple of short bows that I am not very impressed with; however, I am not going to mention what they are because some TradGangers speak very highly of them. Just because they don't work for me doesn't mean they won't for others.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lonala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »
Two Tracks Ambush Recurve..................50" smooth to 31in,no hand shock.
Grizzly Stik Qarbon Nano QN2 53#@28 64"
Wesley Speacial 64" 58@27
Vixen 66"55#@28

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
56" Shrew CH is hard to beat. When strung it measures only 54" , perfect for hunting from blinds and stands. I can shoot this bow vertical while sitting flat on the ground,legs extended.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Put my vote on the 52" Cascade GoldenHawk Mag and the 52" NightHawk Mags, Steve Gore's short line of bows are super smooth and powerful !
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Take a look at the new Edge r/d longbow at Liberty bows. Alan is a trad gang sponsor. Typical superior craftsmanship as in other Liberty longbows. The shortest length is 60" according to his website.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©