3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stupid question  (Read 220 times)

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
Stupid question
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
alright here goes please don't anyone be insulted. I have a question about custom bow typically. Do they typically have a shorter lifespan to them or are they like bear bows from the 50 and 60s that still have alot of life to them. I still use my dad's grizzly recurve, he's had it all my life and I'm 44. Or are the custom traditional, while very functional and nastalgic more prone to unseen weaknesses in the wood. Of these are some longerlasting if they have fiber or carbon overlays? Thanks for any input. Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Merle a good custom will last as long as you take care of it,the materials used today will last forever if not abused.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
If anything they'll last a lot longer. The finishes today are much more flexible and durable.
Bowyers often stabilize woods that are prone to weakness before using them. Burls are an example, they are naturally weak. But when treated properly they can be a rock solid material. I'm no bowyer, but I am friends with a furniture maker who does all sorts of tricks with wood to strengthen it.
There will be A LOT of quality bows floating around in the future.
David M. Conroy

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRINCH:
Merle a good custom will last as long as you take care of it,the materials used today will last forever if not abused.
:thumbsup:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Agree two
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Agree with everyone. And there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I can't say the same for some of the answers you will get lol.

Never be afraid to ask, how else will you know the answer.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
A good custom should last longer.  A bad custom not as long.  There is no licensing or UL certification for bows and anyone can be a bowyer.  Do your research and ask owners.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the input.   Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Not a stupid question at all, as for me, I like Custom, how long will it last, I couldn't tell ya, but what I can tell ya is I take GREAT care of my Bows ...

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
I expect my two Blacktail TD recurves will still be shooting arrows at targets and at live game, by someone else, long after I've been gone from this earth.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I expect my Sarrels to outlive my grandchildren..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I was given an older and much used Great Northern Critter Gitter. I fully expect that the bow will continue far into the known future.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
I don't think it's an issue of custom versus high volume manufacture as it is the materials of construction available today.  Glass, glue systems, and finishes have improved a great deal.  Two part epoxy glues are much stronger and water resistant.  Some of the two part finishes developed for the auto industry are far more durable, flexible over a wide range of temps, etc.  So with good care, bows of today should be family heirlooms.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
George thanks for the info.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©