3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riser crack, how serious? **Pic**  (Read 420 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser crack, how serious? **Pic**
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I should also probably say that there are things I bowyer could do that could cause it to happen more often than it should, like using improperly cured wood, etc.  But I highly doubt that was the case in this situation.  And most bowyers that have been at it for awhile are pretty good at preventing it.  But I still think that most probably do experience it to some extent.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
These things happen. The 1st thing you should do is contact the bowyer. They should at least be given the opportunity to respond before all the "experts " give their opinion. A&H has always been more than fair with me. There customer service is the best.

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Never had it happen even on any of the "less than high dollar" bows I own. If this is a regular thing, the bowyer needs to change to different materials in my opinion.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Nope, it's not "normal", or to be expected, by any means. It is the exception, and not the rule.  I'm just saying it does happen, and most likely can happen to any bowyer, no matter what he does to try to prevent it.  Give them a chance to address it first.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I agree fully with Bill(Peckerwood). I would think one would contact the bowyer first and get their thoughts/perspective before posting anything on a forum.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
There are 4 risers on this thread alone with the same problem. If I were the bowyer I'd want to fix them, and more importantly examine my process and find out why.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm just guessing, but I've seen glue "creep" in my woodworking and that may be what this is.  The glue just continues to expand over time and squeezes out at the glue line, creating a ridge.  It's just a characteristic of the type of glue.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Dan Palma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
This is a finish crack that is between two pieces of 3/8 black fiber glass.  We have refinished 3 risers over the last 4 years with this issue showing up.  Some folk’s think it's from a dry fire, Gordon’s Composite didn't have an answer, so were not sure why out of close to a 1000 risers this had happen a few times.  We have refinished anyone's bow who ask for it to be done... free...including ship and it doesn't have to be the original purchase. Out of the 3 we did refinish we have not seen it show up again.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
That's what you like to hear....Good job Dan.    

God Bless,  Pierre and Jean-Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I have seen this in some rosewood applications with epoxy and i had on a rosewood/micarta joint on a recurve. I was told it is epoxy gassing and nothing to worry about.  what I did get is that Pearldrum is calculating inflation into his opinion.  the S and P has devalued the dollar and he may need to consider another hike.  I am going for 3 cents here, the bowyer is doing his job by refinishing or fixing the blemish, if fit bothers you or makes you feel uncomfortable get it fixed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©