3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Patriot's Day...Promise Fulfilled to Chris Surtees  (Read 654 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Patriot's Day...Promise Fulfilled to Chris Surtees
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
Tomorrow is Patriot's Day...this is a huge holiday around Boston with the reenactments of Paul Revere's ride from Boston to Lexington, the confrontation battle of British soldiers & Minutemen on Lexington Green, and the defeat of the Red Coats at Old North Bridge in Concord.

Last fall I made a promise to Chris Surtees to build a knife for his Dad.  As I had previously made knives for his sons, I agreed except I wouldn't get back to my forge until after deer season.  Chris laughed and understood hunting priorities.  I wish I could have given this knife to Chris so he could present it properly to Larry.

Now I needed to add something personal to Larry's knife.  Larry sent me a couple of Chris's military badges.  I was going to present the knife to Larry at Bear Quest camp in June...but thought it would be fitting to show to Chris's Trad Gang friends on Patriot's Day...Doc

FOLLOW ME

I AM THE INFANTRY!

I am the Infantry--Lord of Battle! For two centuries I have kept our Nation safe, purchasing freedom with my blood. to tyrants, I am the day of reckoning; to the suppressed, the hope for the future. Where the fighting is thick, there am I...I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

I was there from the beginning, meeting the enemy face to face, will to will. My bleeding feet stained the snow at Valley Forge; my frozen hands pulled Washington across the Delaware. At Yorktown, the sunlight glinted from the sword and I, begrimed and battered...saw a Nation born.
Hardship...and glory I have known. At New Orleans, I fought beyond the hostile hour, showed the fury of my long rifle...and came of age. I am the Infantry!

West I pushed with wagon trains...moved an empire across the plains...extended freedom's borders and tamed the wild frontier. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

I was with Scott at Vera Cruz...hunted the guerrilla in the mountain passes...and scaled the high plateau. The fighting was done when I ended my march many miles from the old Alamo.

From Bull Run to Appomattox, I fought and bled. Both Blue and Grey were my colors then. Two masters I served and united them strong...proved that this nation could right a wrong...and long endure. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

I led the charge up San Juan Hill....scaled the walls of old Tientain....and stalked the Moro in the steaming jungle still...always the vanguard. I am the Infantry!

At Chateau-Thierry, first over the top, then I stood like a rock on the Marne. It was I who cracked the Hindenburg Line...in the Argonne, I broke the Kaiser' spine...and didn't come back till it was "over, over there." I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

A generation older at Bataan, I briefly bowed, but then I vowed to return. Assaulted the African shore...learned my lesson the hard way in the desert sands...pressed my buttons into the beach at Anzio...and bounced into Rome with determination and resolve. I am the Infantry!

The English channel, stout beach defenses and the hedgerows could not hold me...I jumped into Normandy's shore....broke out at St. Lo, unbent the Bulge...vaulted the Rhine...and swarmed the Heartland. Hitler's dream and the Third Reich were dead.

In the Pacific, from island to island I hopped...hit the beaches and chopped through swamp and jungle...I set the Rising Sun. I am the Infantry!

In Korea, I gathered my strength around Pusan...swept across the frozen Han...outflanked the Reds at Inchon...and marched to the Yalu. FOLLOW ME!

Around the world, I stand....ever forward. Over Lebanon's sands, my rifle steady aimed...and calm returned. At Berlin's gate, I scorned the Wall of Shame. I am the Infantry!

My bayonet....on the wings of power...keeps the peace worldwide. And despots, falsely garbed in freedom's mantle, falter...hide. My ally in the paddies and the forest...I teach, I aid, I lead. FOLLOW ME!

The world's headlines roar when evil men are put to flight, as I descend by parachute into the night. Grenada's students rescued, Noriega's drug dealers imprisoned, Haiti's curse lifted...I lead the way into battle through the darkest nights. I am the Infantry!

I fight from the Sky, over the land, across the sea..through desert sands...to free a Kuwaiti city, across frozen mountains to keep the peace in Balkan lands--I hold the key to peace or war: FOLLOW ME!

Where brave men fight...there fight I. In freedom's cause...I live, I die. From Concord Bridge to Heartbreak Ridge, from the Arctic to the Mekong...The Lord of Battle!

Always ready...then, now and forever. I am the Infantry!

FOLLOW ME!

I AM THE INFANTRY!

The knife is forged 5160 carbon steel with an OAL 10 1/2 inches.  The incredible Curly Koa scales were donated by Lin Rhea...very special as Chris's wirehaired Dachshund is named Koa.  Finally and Oh so important to me, Shell will be adding her magic with a sheath.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Patriot's Day...Promise Fulfilled to Chris Surtees
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
WOW! Thats all I got to say about that......good on you sir.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
That is simply awesome....good job Doc & a great tribute to Chris!
   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Excellent work Doc!

And what a great example for all of us!

Land of the free because of the brave!

God bless America!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Beautiful work, and a fine tribute.  I am sure that Larry will be thrilled.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Good job Doc.
Mel Riley

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Very very nice!   That is something that is going to strike close to the heart, I am sure he will love and apprieate the knife.  Exellent tribute!  Just love it!
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Hats off to you Doc and to the infantry...I say Thank You!!!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Oh my Doc, that is incredible. What a fitting tribute and honor to a special person. I know Larry will carry it with pride and honor to his son.....

Lanier
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
There's world class and then there's Doc Tippit!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
Here is a salute to the Infantry--Queen of Battle! Always the tip of the spear. The knife is a beautiful tribute to those who live in foxholes and take the most casualties in any war. My utmost respect to 'grunts' everywhere.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Still in awe, even after reading it the 3rd time... Words can't begin to describe the honor that is bestowed with that gift, and I'm not even the one getting it.  A salute to all our family in arms and to you Doc, hats off.
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Wow, amazing blade and cause.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Outstanding ..!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
All I can think of to say is awesome!!!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
OUTSTANDING all the way around Doc!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Amazing!!!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Awesome and moving, from an old jarhead, Semper Fi
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
RANGERS LEAD THE WAY ! SALUTE....♠
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©