3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ron Ollis scam update  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ron Ollis scam update
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I received a tracking number a little while ago, as well.  I told him that I would track it, watch for receipt, and report here when everything proved to be satisfactory.

Still hoping for the best... for ALL involved.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I rec'd tracking number and contacted Ron about some info that did not match with what he said. A pack showed up today! Ihope Ron makes good on all his deals now.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
owlbait, you got what you paid for?

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
I got something similar (not exactly as described) as what I expected. Not exactly perfect condition, would struggle to hold 2 heavy jackets, and one not two outside pockets along with the large compartment. My deal is done. Good luck guys.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Got an e-mail this morning and a tracking # for my $195.00 money order. Should know Wed. or Thurs. if all is well or not. He told me last night that he just found out his cousin had sold the Double Bull blind that I bought from him. I'm sure that he got a call from either local law enforcement or the USPS fraud inspector as several of us electronically filed mail fraud forms. I hope this turns out well for everyone.

PS: he told me in last night's e-mail that he was borrowing money from family to pay everyone back.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline stephen / oregon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
I also got an e-mail this morning and a tracking # for my $100 money order:

"Hey Stephen I mailed the money order this morning priority mail.  Delivery confirmation # 03080...... Thanks Ron

Sent from my iPhone"

***  So I guess we all will see if it is true by the end of the week.

Offline stephen / oregon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
These (3) posts were posted by others on the LW  yest. and today:

* "I noticed an add over here today by him. His handle is widowman80 if I remember right."

* "He has a PCH for sale on AT now."

* "somebody who has been had by this guy should give AT a heads up ... John "

Offline stephen / oregon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
BTW, since I saw the posts about the AT AD's on LW, I decided to go over and take a look at the PCH Ad and look what I found-

I found a bunch of stuff posted on there ( the same stuff that he was selling on here) under his handle (Widowman80)

His join date over there was 4/12/11

And he started selling the same wool clothing, and other items etc. over there on 4/12

So I guess he did not have any time to contact any of us here last week that he was dealing with, but he had all this time to post all these Ad's on AT. And most of it was the same stuff that people here were dealing with him on. Unbelievable- this guy has some big Cojones!!

Here is a link to his posts:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/search.php?searchid=4344415

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
COULDN'T a person mail something via USPS to themselves and have ONE Bogus tracking number to send a bunch of people pretending that they've sent something to them?

Have you guys compared tracking #'s ?
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Gentlemen, there is something you have to understand about scammers and that is they depend on you to be successful.  They rely on your basic trust in the membership on these sites and on your kindness to seek compensation instead of justice.  They stall, what is called in the prison world “cooling out the mark”, so that the victim eventually gives up and goes away.  You have to understand that generally the police are not interested in these kinds of cases because most of the time the victim is only interested in the police going to the scammers home and threatening them into sending the item or paying the money owed.  That is not what the police do.  They are not a collection agency.  If you want to file a complaint on the specific scammer and have them arrested and prosecuted that is a different story, but that is generally not what the victim wants to do.  Most victims are good people who do not want to hurt or put anyone in jail.  Unfortunately these cases to prosecutors’ are expensive and detract from their budget and are not viewed as worth pursuing.  However, not all prosecutors feel that way and are willing to prosecute.  It is rare to find one of these guys in the prison system because it is rare that charges are filed against them or the amount of money is too small to constitute a felony.  I don’t care with whom you have a transaction you need to keep records (evidence) of the transaction (e-mails, phone records, copies of receipts, or photocopies of shipping receipts).  If I were a seller it would not bother me at all nor would I be offended if you asked me for documentation in support of the transaction.  The only way to stop scammers is to file charges against them, see to it they are prosecuted, and imprisoned.  Stop playing his game and saying “Oh well, I guess I just lost my money or the item I traded.”  Warchild and others among you with similar complaints, go to the prosecutor’s office in your area today and discuss the options available to you in getting this guy off of the streets.  He may be able to coordinate with the authorities in Indiana the arrest and prosecution of this guy.  Since this Ollis guy has scammed others in other states it is possible federal authorities may have an interest in him based on the crossing of state lines and using the internet to commit his crimes.  Scams are not new to the criminal world, but the internet opens new windows of opportunity for these people and is more lucrative than in the past.   If you receive an item from this guy and it is not what you ordered it is still a scam and he has profited from it.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Don't let those that prey on the internet ruin what we have here.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Larry is so right,what we have here is very uncommon,lets keep it like this.One great thing about this site is it doesn't take long to weed out dishonesty.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Just went over there and asked if he takes paypal.... I think that will complicate his presence a bit  :)  I'm curious to see how far he'll take it... I've been on the bad side of a scam before and recovered my funds but it wasn't pleasant...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
anyone receive this same tracking number?

this is the one I received.

Offline stephen / oregon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Nope- Mine was different.

So he had all this time to send messages and place AD's over on AT all while he was supposedly

"at doctors and hospital all week trying to get this fixed anyway I am sorry......."

And he did not have time to communicate with his buyers over here.

The guy is what he is. This a just a part of the copy in the message that Rob (admin here) sent to me that he sent to Ron Ollis:

"you are a cheat and a liar.....we will make sure the trad community knows who you are.....it's jerks like you that give trad bowhunting, trad archery and humanity in general, a bad name.....
i hope karma will quickly bite you....."

Well guess what- karma is like paybacks- they are a .....

So I decided to post reading material on all of Ron Ollis's Ad's over on AT by pasting links to this thread and the link to the one over on the L.wall.

Should make some fine reading for the prospective buyers over there. I guess Ron thought we were all fools or played us like the fools that he thought we were.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
My tracking number ends in 1593.

USPS says it should arrive tomorrow.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
looks like they yanked him and all his posts over at AT

Offline stephen / oregon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
yep, I just saw that too

The only bad thing is I have gotten PM's from over there (on AT from my warning link post this morning)- from people that had already sent him $$. And one was for a set of ASAT wool bibs( $200) -same ones that he had posted here on TG. And the same ones that he still has posted over on the LW for $150. It was put on LW on 4/12 under misc. and is still there.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
a while ago I asked if he took Paypal just to see what he would say...

This is the PM he just sent me but his original post is gone...

"Widowman80
 View Profile  View Forum Posts  Private Message  Add as Contact  Send Email

Registered User Join Date:Apr 2011
I don't have a paypal account I can only take money orders or cashiers checks. And I will let it go for $700.00 shipped thanks "

I told him I'd take the bow (and I would and send payment)if he sent it and I'd send him the funds when I recieved it. When it gets here I'll post pictures and send the Payment (wouldn't that be something if it actually gets here!!!). I'll let you know if he replys   ...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
RonD, that is right on the money.  It always starts with excuses and goes downhill from there.  I'm currently out some "free arrows" from a transaction on another site (but have let it slide).

Unfortunately this also plays out in the business world when employees steal from a business.  Typically it is hard to prove (they destroy docs), and the company doesn't want the bad press, attorney fee's, etc., and the prosecutors don't want to prosecute.  So they move from business to business.  Same thing in the home remodeling (fix-up business) = never pay up front!  I don't know how these people live with themselves, but I'm sure they rationalize it away.  If they stay small and don't rip off the wrong people the way our system is set up lets them get away with it.  BUT, it is very corrosive to society.

I applaud the 100 post (and review) rule.  I'm new to this site but have already had several good experiences here (not selling), and have a high level of confidence buying from members here.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©