3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ron Ollis scam update  (Read 1332 times)

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ron Ollis scam update
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
I'm with ya Rob. a 100 count rule for ALL classifieds.  let a person do a little communicating here before they start dealing.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
Rob...
Personally I wouldn't be against expanding the 100 count rule. It ends up being that much more work for the admin.

I however am not uncertain how much that would truly help weed out the problematic people.

It would however help keep with the spirit of the site by making the classifieds a secondary forum...at least till they achieve 100 posts.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I agree the 100 post rule is good but is there a way to limit just selling before 100 posts but still allow posting wanted items? That way the person with under 100 posts is sending the money first then the item is sent. Just a suggestion. It may not be possible from a technical angle without someone personally approving these which would be too time consuming.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
I agree, 100 posts for all classifieds would be great way to limit scammers
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline stephen / oregon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
The people that posted here about questioning whether this guy was to put it mildly (a shady character) Well, let's just say they should be thankful that they did not deal with him.

To say that he was slippery like a snake is an understatement. The guys that dealt with him are mature grown Men, and have been around the block a time or two. And they gave him him every opportunity to make good and he continued to slither away. And I believe if the pressure was not put on him heavy by members here and if the fellas father had not stepped in to literally bail the punk out, we would all have been screwed.

This guy did sell the same/ similar items to different people on different forums. (I have confirmation of that) and then lied about "mixing things up" with selling/ mailings etc.  and even then stalled about getting their $$ returned to them. In my book that is a scammer.

And ask the (2) members on here who were all ready to mail out their around $200 each for KOM wool whether they appreciated the communication and heads up from members here letting them know that things may not be as they seem. Did they already wonder if something was amiss- yes they did, but that was further confirmed to them when they received PM's from members asking if Ollis had been communicating with them- he had in the selling phase, and then danced, dodged and lied to them when he felt the heat of questions. Lets just say that those 2 members were spared the headaches and the larger mess of this circus by staying on the sideline.

So whether you appreciate the work that members did here or not - makes no difference to me. But, there were members here and on other forums that were being dealt with in a dishonorable way by this guy that did appreciate the work and time that both the mods/admins and the members alike put in to keep this guy from taking us and furthering his games.

Just my 2 cents- whether you "appreciate" them or not

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I am a newbie here and as far as I'm concerned the 100 post rule is not only effective at preventing scamming, it doesn't hurt the new guys at all. We're mostly in acquisition mode. I'm not even a little bit selling. I'm buying. The toy account is red-lined.

I couldn't figure out at first why the rule is there, but after reading this thread it's kind of chilling.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
For the sake of clarity, yes, I have been scammed. I sent out a video to Mr Ollis about 3 weeks ago and have not recieved my trade.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Okay, okay fair play. Sorry to stir it up. The only thing I could find that was difinitive in the thread was the 3X/XL thing & I would be hard pushed to call that a 'scam'. Certainly a scummy thing to do, but hardly 'scamming'
It hdn't registered that there had been 'goings on' on other forums.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by stephen / oregon:
So whether you appreciate the work that members did here or not - makes no difference to me....

Just my 2 cents- whether you "appreciate" them or not
If what you have gotten out of any comments that were not already calling him a liar, cheat and so forth was that "we" don't appreciate what goes on around here is too bad and, IMO, totally off base. I don't think anyone here was implying that.

J-
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I try to give others the benefit of the doubt, just as I would expect them to give me.  But, when there is no DOUBT there is no benefit.

I'm with Zradix in that I wouldn't mind if the 100 post minimum was increased and even applied to all classified ads.  If the mods feel such action is needed, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I vote for the 100 post rule for all sales. I have had nothing but positive sales and purchases on the bow classifieds but I had to get in my 100 posts to sell.  I had been a member of TradGang for years but never did much communicating. I had 23 posts when I wanted to put a few bows up for sale, so I had to go to work and communicate. I cannot tell you how many times I thought to myself I should give up and go to one of the sites where there are no requirements,  but I stuck it out and I am so glad I did. This site is loaded with great people to communicate and deal with. On the bow classifieds you sell and buy  with a far greater sense of security that you are dealing with a honest, trustworthy fellow TradGanger.100 posts have given me 100% positive sales and buy experiences.
Huntfun!
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
As I am another newbie, I think a 100 post minimum for selling or buying is a great rule.  The few bad apples ruin it for everybody else.  But I would feel much more secure buying or selling if the person I was dealing with had a large # next to "posts".
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
& I would be hard pushed to call that a 'scam'. Certainly a scummy thing to do, but hardly 'scamming'

In a court of law its called much worse than scamming. ...its called 'theft by deception'.

I also have a hard time believing if you yourself brought a large jacket and were shipped a small and the company you bought it from wouldn't make it right , and let you know they had NO intention of doing so, that you wouldn't feel 'scammed'
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Steve, yeah, that's kind of the rub. I think I should be reading more than offering my sage advice at this point.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
So maybe it is time to start a thread asking for the admin to consider the 100 post rule for all classifieds and let Ollis disappear to the nether regions where he belongs. We really don't need anymore sniping between honest and rule abiding members. Ron has created enough trouble, tension, and frustration. Let's heal and move on!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline SlowArrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
So I'm just a newbe here, but I think the 100 post rule makes sense.  It takes time and effort to make 100 posts (well some posts are clearly throw aways - three word posts to increase the posts count) and for the most part scammers won't put in the time.  Its a good rule - and this appears to be a site that is worthy of the investment.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan

TGMM Family of the Bow

Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Anyone know his alias' on flea bay or Leather Wall?

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I don't think that is a bad idea.

"it's guys like this character ollis that get me to thinking about imposing the 100 count rule to all the classifieds forums, not just the trad bow classifieds"
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

Originally posted by robtattoo:
& I would be hard pushed to call that a 'scam'. Certainly a scummy thing to do, but hardly 'scamming'

In a court of law its called much worse than scamming. ...its called 'theft by deception'.

I also have a hard time believing if you yourself brought a large jacket and were shipped a small and the company you bought it from wouldn't make it right , and let you know they had NO intention of doing so, that you wouldn't feel 'scammed' [/b]
Point taken.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Rob, there is a certain logic to imposing the 100 post rule to all classifieds.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©