3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weekend in Moses Lake  (Read 446 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Weekend in Moses Lake
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »
The family and I spent this weekend at the annual TBW Rock shoot.  The Traditional Bowhunters of Washington put on a great shoot once again. We started traveling east in a deluge that lasted until we left Western Washington.  Heavy winds and bad visiblity plagued us all the way to the Dalles, Oregon.    As we travelled past the John Day River, we saw 6 Bighorn rams. The rest of the trip was uneventful and we pulled into camp at 10:30 am.  We quickly set up our camp next to Brock ( BMA on Trad Gang ).  

The property the shoot is located on is a mix of low rolling hills with lots of sage brush and basalt to eat your arrows.  

This shot shows the Goat target in it's usual place. This target eats a lot of arrows.  The actual shot is from 30 or so yards uphill with rocks right below the kill zone.  On Saturday nights the camp entertainment is watching groups of shooters taking steep up hill shots from 60 yards at the goat. 20 guys will line up and volley fire at the goat.  Sparks really fly when arrows hit the rocks.  

Friday was a mix of light winds, heavy winds, overcast, sprinkles and rain.  We spent most of the day getting reaquainted with friends and sitting around the fire.  We did manage to shoot one course on Friday between rain showers.  

This picture shows Tricia and Morgan's favorite spot in camp. Saturday dawned with a light overcast and stayed that way for half the day. the afternoon was nicer and we shot all three courses on Saturday.

The shoot has a mix of courses with one being flat, and the other two having a lot of up and downhill shots.  

Man my typing was bad when I was tired.  It is corrected now.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weekend in Moses Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »
Looks like a great time!  Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'd like to make it to a shoot like that one day, and my sons would have a blast.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks.  Glad you had a good time.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Wish there was country like that where I live - looks like you guys had a blast, thanks for sharing  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Looks to be an all around good time. Love the Moses Lake area. Was raised in the Poulsbo/Bremerton/ Silverdale area of Washington. Don't miss the rain much. Glad you all had a great time.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Looks like a great time!  Sounds like you need to bring a pretty good supply of arrows!  Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Excellent post Clay!

Considering the threatening weather and high gas prices, attendance was still very good with well over 300 shooters.   :notworthy:  by all the TBW faithful who put this together as well as a thanks to the guys who set up the "One Arrow Shoot" (even though I only made it through a couple targets before a rock destroyed mine).
Lon Scott

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the update, Last min issues stopped the trip for me. Still lilttle grumpy for missing it. No choice,  Been busting tail on cedar arrow and bowcases to unload over there.. Guess I have some extra fire wood. thx

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
That looks like it would be a great event to attend. Too bad it is so far from Alabama.
John

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all.
That goat shot definitely looks like an arrow eater.
Thanks for sharing.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Looks like fun, nice scenery and pictures.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
And the story continues....  So we had a great time shooting the rounds on saturday.   There were rolling warthog and fly turkey shots, a 50 yard or so Bison shot, and plenty of animals with rocks around and behind them.  

Here is a shot of Blue the Border Collie going on point before the shot.  She loves archery shoots and gets so excited she shivers every time before the shot.

This shot shows the fox back quiver I made for Morgan shortly before the shoot.

As you can see Sunday Morning dawned cold and clear.  It was a crisp 23 degrees when we started shooting our first course of the day. We all bundled up and enjoyed the sunshine and family time as we worked our way thru the sagebrush and hills of the course.

Every TBW shoot reminds me of why we shoot trad as a family.  From the warm hello's as you arrive.  To folks stopping by every day, sometimes three times a day to say hi and see how you are doing, to Myron seeing you dropping what he is doing and heading for you with open arms to give you a hug and say hello brother.  The TBW folks are just like trad folks everywhere.  Friendly and generous to a fault.  I want to say that my family and I deeply appreciate every thing the TBW folks do to make these shoots work.  This was another awesome shoot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:29:00 AM »
Looks like a fun time. Thats a cool looking fox quiver you made. Cool stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Yeoman Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
That looks like a great time. I need to get out more & do things like that.

I see alot of RV's in the photos. Is tent camping allowed at TBW events?
Yeoman
_ _ _ __ _  _  _  

35# Martin Hunter
40# Martin Savannah
40# Martin Dreamcatcher
50# Bear Montana
_ _ _ _________ _  _  _

"When it’s time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
It was a great shoot.  Glad to see a good turn out with the weather and high gas prices.  Kudos to all the guys that set the course.  The flying turkey was great.  Fine job.
Had a great conversation with Gail Martin. It is nice to see him still coming around to the events.  Also spent time talking with Larry Fisher from Traditional Bowhunter Magazine and had a long conversation with Blake Fisher of Eclipse Broadheads.  Got to see the new Werewolf Broadheads first hand.  Very nice and Top quality as usual from Eclipse.

Offline Larry O. Fischer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
First time for Blake and I to have had a chance to attend, we will not miss another one. Great location, love the basalt challenge, and was great to see many friends and make a few more. hope to see everyone at Western States.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I could probably do a Google search, but I figured I'd get more reliable and personal information by inquiring here...

Are the dates set for the 2012 Moses Lake shoot?
Anyone already planning on attending?

I am living in Cle Elum this winter and I am hoping that I will be able to attend.
I have only been to one 3D shoot, but I really learned a lot and felt that it helped my skills tremendously. I did lose four arrows though...

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Nice report and some great photos.   :campfire:

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
April 13th, 14th 15th. I believe.
The wife and I will be there with bells on and lots of arrows.

John

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
John,
Thanks for the dates. I'll look for the WA trad bowhunter website to find out about signing up.

Hope to see you there,
Luca

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©