3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Birds, Bows, and My Boy  (Read 430 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Birds, Bows, and My Boy
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
I spent the weekend with my son in a turkey blind. Spending some quality time with him has been hard due to work, school, his swim schedule, and just daily BS. I vowed to make it happen this weekend, and used my annual trip to the Bluegrass State to hunt turkies as the excuse for he and I to slip off sans mom and sister. A man's weekend, with good friends, good food and hopefully some strutters. You see these birds are my nemesis. I am a big donut for 5 years of traditional bowhunting these birds from hades. In the meantime I have killed a coyote, an elk, and 20 whitetails...those birds have my number as of now, and even after the weekend, but here's a few pics of one of the best weekends I have had on this earth.

Our slice of heaven includes this cabin built by my friend who owns some property with me. He is very generous to let us bunk there and hunt his property. Otherwise I'd be squatting on my 40 hoping birds show up instead of being able to run and bow  :)  As it was this weekend the birds were on my 40, but the cabin was awful warm on this rainy, cold weekend.

My bow was pretty well at home in this environment.

The temps were in the 30's at first light and Seth, my 8 year-old clone was just happy to tag along. He is not "eat-up" with hunting like his younger sister or like I was at his age. He is into books, and science, and questions  :)  But he likes to hang out with me and I am seeing his interest in the outdoors grow more and more. After this weekend I think the tide is changing. He wants to be a hunter he said, and he wants to learn more about the outdoors. I am still smiling  :)  

The first morning we lasted in the blind a whole 3 hours. We were both cold and wet due to walking to the blind in a drizzle. The 3/4 mile walk was toleratewd quite well by father and son alike, but the chill never went away. We had a lone hen make her way to the doctored up Bmobile jake and hen, but no boyfriends showed.

After a quick nap and some warm food we headed out. To our suprise we had a break in the weather and a little suprise.

We got set-up and called a bit. I let Seth cut loose with a box cal a little and worked my scratch box from Joe buck a little. Out of nowhere a half-gobble and 3 jakes were bearing down on Buster, my decoy. Like that I was reaching for a snack for my boy and bam a shot was happening. The biggest bird stopped in the right window. I calmed myself, snuck a peak at my clone and smiled. This was gonna be great. At about 18 yards the birds got antsy and stalled. It was a now or never moment. Full draw, anchor, perfect release, then whack...
Mike Davenport

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Birds, Bows, and My Boy
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
:campfire:  
I love stories

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
The arrow passed under the bird and it made him hot-foot it out of there. We found a clean arrow afterwards, but I knew what had happened. In reaching for the snack I had scooted a little more forward in my chair and the top limb of the bow hit the blind. Seth was so upset with me! He cried and couldn't understand how I had missed. I grinned at his competitive nature (something that makes him great in school and swimming but a sore loser sometimes) and used it as a teaching moment. I got to teach him it's about the process and not every animal gets killed...at least when I am shooting  :)  I think he got it. He recovered quickly and we ate well, shared our story with out hosts, and turned in with redemption on our mind after roosting a noisy gobbler near our set-up.

At home in the warm cabin, book in hand as usual.

The next morning the weather was warmer and we were back to Sofa's field. It gets it's name for my last name. My friends dubbed this little food plot I worked so hard to establish as Sofa's field instead of Davenport's. It was a chore cutting down trees and getting my little tractor in there to establish a 1/2 acre honey-hole of clover in 40 acres of woods. It's a bit of a folly but it's mine and where my ashes will be scattered.

We worked birds all morning but it never produced any gobblers. Just seeing my boy run a little box call and trying to figure out Joe Buck's Wooden Hen was awesome. After 4 hours we had a little action from a group of hens, all in bow range. Sadly the toms and jakes were skipping our party. It was still great having the hens for Seth to see and observe, scratching, clucking, fighting over real estate...

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
We entertained our guest in the blind and managed to get hear a few more gobbles but nothing would work. We just enjoyed the time together and for a brief moment I saw myself staring back at me with questions, forever questions hanging in the air. Except he has someone to answer those questions, and as long as I am breathing good air and taking up space, it will be so.

After it seemed like a ton of snacks it was decided by my hunting partner it was time to get lunch. After 10 hours in 2 days in a blind I felt like he had earned it. We made our way to the cabin, then home in Illinois. We had honey-dos for Mom waiting 3 hours down the road but we both vowed to be back. No way these birds win according to Seth.

Mike Davenport

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Mike, It looks like you and your boy Seth gave it a great try and enjoyed yourselves. Nice looking bow, she do a Big Bird soon. Keep at it, will all come together. Good Luck
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
That's just great stuff,Kids and hunting.Very lucky young man.Thanks for sharing....
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Time spent with your kids is a precious thing, and you're using yours well. Nice pics, and a story well told. Thanks for sharing with us!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Sounds like a sucessful hunt to me!
bolong

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Great story made me smile. Invaluable time afield your son will never forget. Good job Mike.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Good job and nice pics.  Nothing like spending time with your son.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Awesome   :clapper:  

I love that little cabin.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
time with him is more important than anything. even more important while in the turkey woods, and not in front of a game or tv.  Good stuff and I love that cabin!! cant wait till my dad and I get the money and time to build one for us. it would be great to get away and hunt together more often!!!!!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Thanks gents! Little sis is up next. Maybe this time SOMEONE will make a shot  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Great Pics and Great story....Cherish these times with the Kids.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Sounds as if you had a very enjoyable trip in spite of the lack of birds Mike! Enjoying your time with Seth is worth more than any turkey!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I'll be chasing turkeys this week myself, but regardless of how that turns out I would trade my time in the woods with yours in a heartbeat.
Priceless!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Looks like a great guy weekend in the woods.  Pretty special times for everyone involved.
-Jay

Offline nschlag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
good times. thanks for sharing Mike!
06 Black Widow PSA III
Clark Longbow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Awesome! Lucky guy! (both of you)   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©