3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stringers?????????  (Read 436 times)

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stringers?????????
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
selway for recurve,push pull on longbows up to 65#.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Yeah,the Selway is all I use.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
No custom bow left my shop without a Webster stringer. It's the only one I sold and used. 2 different size pouches will accept both short and long limb tips.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
I agree with all the steps, but I'm right handed and do all those steps exactly opposite (left hand where it says right hand).  No right or wrong here, just a comment that either way that's comfortable for you will work.  Just a caution to keep your head away from where that top limb would go if your upper hand slips!

Originally posted by hvyhitter:
Push/Pull.....for RH shooters

Grab bow backward at grip with right hand (string side away from you)

Place bottom limb tip against instep of right foot.(foot turned out sideways)

Place left palm against top limb just under string loop, grab loop with thumb and index finger.

PUSH top limb away while PULLING in on grip and slide palm up till string loop is in the nock.

On bows 68" and longer you usually just run out of arm...........anything over 65# and I dont get enough leverage and my hand doesnt want to slide up..........YMMV
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Swamp Yankee:
I agree with all the steps, but I'm right handed and do all those steps exactly opposite (left hand where it says right hand).  No right or wrong here, just a comment that either way that's comfortable for you will work.  Just a caution to keep your head away from where that top limb would go if your upper hand slips!

Originally posted by hvyhitter:
Push/Pull.....for RH shooters

Grab bow backward at grip with right hand (string side away from you)

Place bottom limb tip against instep of right foot.(foot turned out sideways)

Place left palm against top limb just under string loop, grab loop with thumb and index finger.

PUSH top limb away while PULLING in on grip and slide palm up till string loop is in the nock.

On bows 68" and longer you usually just run out of arm...........anything over 65# and I dont get enough leverage and my hand doesnt want to slide up..........YMMV
[/b]
Same here.  I'm right handed.  Push with my right and pull with the left, while anchoring the the bottom tip on the inside of my left foot.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
While I use the push pull method, I do not suggest it to others because people can and do get seriously injured with that method.

John Schultz brother lost an eye with that method.

For this reason, I suggest others use a stringer such as the...

E. W Bateman bowstringer. Here is a link to it...  http://www.tradtecharchery.com/Details.aspx?itemNo=1970284

The webster appears to be a good stringer as well, but I haven't used it...as it costs a lot more than the EW Bateman.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
I started out using the block style and switched to the webster.  I like it because I can string both recurves and longbows, not to mention it folds up nice!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I bought a 100' of 1 1/2 inch yellow nylon webbing (about 25.00 shipped) and made my own "webster"......got enough left to make myself another 10 or so as I need them. Every one of my bows gets its own stringer wraped around its sock so I always have a stringer for a bow. I also really hate all the stringers made in black as I've probably lost a dozen over the past 20 yrs.

Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Selway easy and stress free.
...Mark

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Another vote for Selway.  I use both their longbow and recurve stringers.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
i have a selway for my recurve and love it so if i get a longbow ill buy a selway stringer for it also

Offline mochasam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Where can I buy A Webster?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
We carry them, see link below.  The nice thing about Websters are not only are they very strong, with the dual pockets they will work well for almost every bow out there.

Webster Stringers at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
The webster may be all right, but I really like the gompy stringer for the last 20 years. Unfortunately, no one carries it in the US, so I had to order them in Germany. A lot of the new stringers have rope that really stretches. This stringer has a rope that will not stretch. I just ordered 6 more stringers to give away with some bows...

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by bulldog18:
I use the limbsaver longbow stringer by selway. It has the pocket on one end and the rubber limb block on the other.
X2  :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
The Bateman stringer posted by Protege is the one I use now.  Works great on longbows and recurves.  My Dad used a Saunders stringer on his recurve years back.  Though it won't work on a longbow, it did a fine job on the curve.  

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/product_info.php?products_id=2096

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/product_info.php?products_id=2094

I'm not sure why anyone would risk damaging the bow or one's face by using the push-pull method.  I guess it's a bit of nostalgia for some people.  Stringers are pretty cheap, the weigh next to nothing and don't take up much space.  Throw one in your pack or pocket for that matter. In my opinion they are worth the peace of mind.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©