3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flemish string backtwist?  (Read 360 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Flemish string backtwist?
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
For those of you that make flemish string, after making the first loop, and gettng the twist out of the strands to make the second loop, how many back twist do you put in your bundles????  On an average.  And before you ask, no I have not counted the ones that I take out...lol.  Just kind of wondering if there is a majic number.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish string backtwist?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
40 seems to suit me, I don`t want to get all twisted up. When I make these strings I usually play; Come on lets twist again with Chubby Checker.  Bue--.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I don't think there is a magic number, just count how many you take out before putting more back twists in.  It depends on how long (how many) twists you put in your first loop...........that said, I think I put around 15 back twists in my last string.  I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination so I'm sure others will have a more accurate number for you.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
I used between 25-30 backtwist for 7-8" leads Charles.....Art

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Zero.  There's no need to backtwist if you take the time to straighten the bundles before you start the second loop.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I straighten my bundles and do not put any back twist in.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I've never "back-twisted" the string prior to doing the second loop to avoid the string twist in the strands, I just untwist what's there and have them straight. Does the string perform better if you do this? I read years ago it doesn't matter. Where is Chad (LBR)?

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Check out these videos...  http://www.protegelongbows.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4121628-new-video-01-25-11-how-to-make-a-flemish-bowstring

Count how many it takes to make the strands straight after doing the first loop. Then add that many more before doing the second loop. That will be really close.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
After dong the first loop,I'll straighten out the strands and then I put around 36 backtwists before making the other loop.This make s a nice round string.

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I agree with rraming, big kid and Jeff Struberg. Just straighten out the strands.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
When I twist up a string, I roll the strands into bundles. When I counter twist, I roll them back out. I don't "count" each twist. I count how many rolls it takes to make them straight, and then add that many more "rolls." This keeps the process simple.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
After I straighten out the strands from the first loop, I add about 30 counter twists.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
This is interesting. It seems there are two ways to skin this cat, and still end-up with a product that performs well-enough to enjoy and to kill. I know I've done it both ways, and cannot spot the difference.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
There is no magic number--it depends on what material, how you make your string, etc.  Mine usually run from 11 to 15 (big fingers)depending on the material.  

Like Lee stated, counting how many you take out to get the bundles straight after making the first loop will get you very close, if not right on.

Proper backtwist is the "secret" to a nice, round string--especially with a two-bundle string.  

Taking all the twists out of the bundles after the first loop helps, but think about it--how do you get those same twists out after you make the second loop?  You can't-that's where backtwist comes in.

Is it required?  Obviously not--I've seen lots of strings that were pretty rugged looking, and my first attempts were downright awful, but they held together.

Besides looking much better, a nice round string (that looks like one string, not two vines wrapped around each other)seems to wear less, shoot quieter, are easier on the fingers, and may give a tiny bit of increased performance.

It takes a little practice to "master", but only a short time invested per string and can make a big difference.

Chad

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I don't count the backtwists, either,just "spin" the undles between my thumb and finger, about five times per bundle. If I had to guess, I'd say that's about 25 twists.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
The "secret" is out - thanks for the info Chad - guess I'll give it a try, good thread!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Ain't nothing mystical about strings, endless or flemish--mostly just smoke and mirrors and old wive's tales that get folks tangled up.  Either one is simple to make with good information and practice.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
I use zero

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Counting the twists you take out could be a little misleading--if the bundles are hanging freely when you are laying in the first loop, then some of the twists may work themselves out.  Not possible with the second loop (obviously).

Make a string with a contrasting color strand in each bundle.  That will give you instant feedback as to whether the bundles are laying paralell or twisted when you finish up the string.  The contrasting color strand makes it easier to see how many more (or less) twists were needed prior to laying in the second loop.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©