3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which would be your choice????? help needed  (Read 297 times)

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
which would be your choice????? help needed
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
For a new curve
- Silvertip
-blacktail
-widow

What's your vote?
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: which would be your choice????? help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Three very different bows, all first quality.  I'd shoot each one (again) before making a decision.  If you're trying to decide on which to purchase, i recommend the same thing.  Shoot them.  They have different looks and feel.  You may like one and not the other.  What others like has no bearing on which will be the bet fit for you.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Which models?  I like the Blacktail one-piece recuves (especially with rosewood), and the Black Widow PSR.  But those only have being recurves in common.  Silver-tip makes a one-piece but I've never seen one anywhere.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
You need to spend a week with each. Schafer and BW will send you one. Don't know about Blacktail.

Offline shoothathang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
D-All of the above.There isn't a wrong answer here

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I know that's the problem, they are all great.. I live a couple hours from the Windaurs, so i'll be making a trip over there soon. Don't know anyone with a Widow or blacktail.

Im looking at the T/d recurves of each company. Beth @Schafer has been a huge help with questions,etc. And they are MT folks,  plus there bows are stunning so im leaning their way, pending being able to shoot more Tips.

As much as I would like one of each bow,  I have too many hobbies/passions to devote that many resources to only one. So I want one that keeps me happy for a while.

I actually thought the Widow T/Ds were ugly at first, but they keep growing on me looks wise, plus they seem to have a huge following.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
You really should shoot each one before laying out the cash. All three are top quality bows and I have shot all tree at one time or another. All three have a different "feel". Some bows will just fit your hand and your grip and just hit where you are looking without having to muscle the bow or change your form. If it wont shoot for you, you wont like it. Thats why you see alot of "like new" bows for sale for just that reason.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Be prepared for a bunch of other bows to be suggested other than the three you have narrowed it down to....never fails.  ;)    :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
One other thing to consider is how quick you “need” the bow. Some bows have a longer wait than others.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
If you can shoot the different bows, one might appeal to you more than the others, otherwise it's just looks and other peoples opinions.  You might have named the three most popular custom bows, I'd wager they are just different flavors of "superb".  I'm very happy with my Blacktail and have one on order but I have never shot the other two.  I might like them even better if I gave them a try.  Tough choice, but at least you can't really go wrong...

Maybe the classifieds is the place to start.  Buy a used bow of the caliber you are looking at and you can probably sell it for what you paid if you want to try one of the others.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
BW PAX in all tulipwood!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
I have shot all three and currently own a Widow PMA and Blacktail Elite.I ditto the above: each of the bows has a significantly different feel when shot. My own favorite is clearly based on personal preferences - you need to shoot them. Differences in grips, physical weight, intended use etc. will definitely impact your choice.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
Ive only shot a BW out of those 3 bows, and I own one now. BW makes a real nice smooth curve.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Three good ones.

I have two of them now and have had the 3rd recently and will again by mid-summer.

Based upon the models I have or have had:

1. Silvertip
2. Widow PAX-Cocobolo (my favorite widow)
3. Blacktail

I imagine by the end of June, when my Snakebit arrives, I'll be adjusting this list.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
Silvertip, I can't imagine one living in Montana not wanting to own one of Dave's bows.

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
I have shot a Silvertip, but own a BW PSAII. It's all about personal feel. I shot probably 1000 bows before I decided on this BW. I own about 10 trad bows right now, but my BW is MY bow... that's the one I do just about everything with, all the time.

Find you a traditional archery shop, and go to a trad shoot, and shoot some other guys bows. See what you like. They aren't cheap, so you want to know what feels good to you.

Black Widow has a deal where you can try several out. Here... check out this link  http://www.blackwidowbows.com/store/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=3

You can test drive a widow... these are CNC machined now and hand finished, so each model and weight shoots almost identical. My buddy in Colorado has several BW bows, and he has one like mine, same model, materials, and weight, and it feels almost identical to mine. of course, each change to materials, length, DW, will change the feel of the bow.

Give them a test drive.. you can't go wrong either way.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 01:38:00 AM »
GREAT TRIO,GOOD LUCK,,,WITH YOUR DECISION,,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
So... what did you go with?? Pictures please... .. .
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 03:23:00 AM »
i decided to go with a longbow, BlackCreek bows is building me one and I should have it soon

thanks
Fin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©