3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Push-pulls stringing  (Read 365 times)

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
Push-pulls stringing
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
So one another thread there was discussion on what stringer to get and it seemed that with longbows the push-pull method is ok. Is that the case with all longbows?
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Push-pulls stringing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
works fine if your strong enough for a particular bow. the older I get , I use a stringer when possible but push pull too.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I use a stringer for R/D longbows and recurves.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Bjorn,
    is R/D reflex deflex longbows? Thanks Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
While I use the push pull method, I do not suggest it to others because people can and do get seriously injured with that method.

John Schultz brother lost an eye with that method. People do NOT need to try the method without

1. Understanding the risk of losing an eye (or worse),
2. Having a good coach to  learn the proper method, and
3. do not try this with a heavy bow unless it is mastered with lighter bows.

For this reason, I suggest others use a stringer such as the...

E. W Bateman bowstringer. Here is a link to it...   http://www.tradtecharchery.com/Details.aspx?itemNo=1970284  

The webster appears to be a good stringer as well, but I haven't used it...as it costs a lot more than the EW Bateman.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
BTW, John and his brother were taught by Howard Hill...and yet despite having the one of the greatest archers in history as their teacher...accidents can happen. That is why people NEED to understand the risk prior to using the push pull method. There are "before and after" pictures of John's brother with an eye patch out there with Howard Hill. Maybe one of the Tradgang members has copies those pictures.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
The event with John Schulz's brother was a semi recurve.  I had a super K slip once, after forty years of push pull bow loading heavy longbows and recurves without ever hurting a bow or myself, the tip caught me right between my eyes.  Besides having raccoon eyes for a few days I was lucky. Just use the bow loaders.

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
One of my good archery friends lost most of his eye sight in his right eye when he was stringing a recurve using the push pull method.  Broke his orbital bone and some other MAJOR damage.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I haven't met a bow stringer I liked. I've had some near misses and one injury from using those things.

I'll use push/pull if the bow is light enough whether it be recurve or longbow. I am always aware of what I'm doing and where my head is at during the process.

I was taught by someone very good at it and follow his instructions every time. If you take your time, keep your head back, turn your face away, pull on the bow above the grip, no gloves and dry hands, I can't see how you could get hurt.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I've used the step-through method in a pinch a few times... and only because I forgot my stringer.

Kawika
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I was taught the push-pull method a long time ago, and my mentor told me never to use the step-through method. The safest is the stringer, and I feel a must for take-down bows. Too much danger twisting a limb with the push-pull on a TD bow. I will use the push-pull on lower poundage bows, and follow the directions listed by Red Beastmaster.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Dan Schulz lost his eye because after an "workout session" (just guess what this means) he hadn't enough strength left to unstring the bow and handed it to John. Unfortunately the stringloop was half out on the upper tip and the string went loose so the upper limp tipp hit him.
This accident didn't happen during an "normal" stringing/unstringing a bow, but after an hard training session!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Came home tierd one night and unstrung one of my recurves that way ,got loos and put a hole in my ear . Be carful any way you do it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Thanks everyone defiantly food for thought. Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Selway easy and stress free. A couple of bucks (11.99 now) and a couple of seconds.
...Mark

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
i had a 52" bear recurve limb slip out of my hand push/pull years ago, hit me in the cheek ,about put a hole through my cheek and rattled my teeth,been using a stringer for curves ever since!

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I bought two Selways.  One longbow, one recurve.  Then I cut one apart and added it to the other.  Now I have one stringer that can PROPERLY handle either a longbow or a recurve.  That being said, I usually use the push/pull for my recurve and step-through for the long bow.  Just lazy BUT very careful.  I watched a friend get hit right between the eys trying to string his longbow by push/pull and did have bow slip out from my foot and slid up my shin using the push/pull method.  It's not just your eyes that are in danger.  That really hurt!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Never even considered it after a local almost lost an eye trying it. Use a stringer, it's what they are made for.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I'll bet every single one of those people who lost or nearly lost an eye never thought it could happen to them.

Learn to use a stringer!!  Not every stringer will work on every bow, but there is at least one type of stringer that will work on every bow made.  If yours doesn't work well for your bow find one that does.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I have been using a Black Widow stringer, but just picked up a Webster stringer. It's for a recurve or long bow. It's all made out of nylon strap, even the pockets.

I like the feature, it has a shorter pocket for short bows, it's pretty neat. I have only used it a couple times and it works great, and I guess I'll see how it holds up in the future.

I have always used a stringer and will continue for a recurve and long bow, but I have had people tell me you can use the step through with the LB and it will not hurt it. For a few dollars its better to be safe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©