3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Push-pulls stringing  (Read 364 times)

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Push-pulls stringing
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Ben Graham of Hummingbird Bows uses a leather device strapped to the inside of his leg that he places the end of the bow in and then pushes and pulls to string the bow.The bow end cannot move this way.If he's on here maybe he can chime in and comment on how he uses this own method of his.It sure seemed real safe the way I saw him use it.
see

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I use Ben's stringer on every recurve I shoot. Mine is just a thick nylon strap that you fasten around your (right) leg above your ankle, it has a loop in it that your bow tip slides throug, it allows the enitre bow to move if you turn it rather than have the limb twist. You insert your leg through between the string and the bow limb just as you would the old step through method, brace your bow handle against your leg and while pulling the top limb tip toward you you slide the string into place.  There is no way to twisyt the limb using this method and the bow tip is always pointing away from you as you string it.  Works well on any recurve.  I believe Ben demonstrates this procedure on his web site.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
I have seen several very seasoned Archers doing the push pull thing I wonder why? a stringer is way safer and won't twist a limb as easy and Yea! won't take your eye out   :readit:
Gord

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with someone using the push pull method as long as they...

1. Know the risks, and
2. Know how to do it properly.

My concern was people seeing it done and then trying it themself without really understanding these two things.

I also think a person should be trained how to properly use a stringer as well...things like where to put the cups or pads, how far to spread their feet, and how to properly pull up on it so their body/hands are not in dangerous positions. I know of people that have had them slip off and had a bow hit them.

Both methods can be risky. These bows are giant springs wanting to release energy.

Anyway...I am not trying to diverge off topic, but on these forums we just need to consider that not everyone has an experienced archer guiding them with what many of us take for granted.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 01:42:00 AM »
I was in a pawn shop the other day looking at an old  52" 50# bear magnum. I asked to look at it and could they string it. So I could check it out properly. Now both these guys were definitely taller , bigger , burly and definitely stronger then Myself. I was finding it a tad amusing watching these guys  trying several times and trading off and on to push pull string this thing and they could not even get close to doing it. There was actually no danger because the bow was barley bending etc.... I stopped them and said would they like me to do it. I was handed the bow and safely strung it instantly. So the point of this story is not how wonderful and great a   bow stringer I am. It is that Just like shooting the bow accurately , shooting a gun, skipping rocks or doing anything . There is a proper technique, concentration, absolute attention to what you are doing, and practice involved to achieve your goal . Everyone finds "their own" best way to do things. Anything can be turned dangerous if not given proper attention. I have had a bow break and hit me in the head while drawing. C

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
Think I'm gonna stick with stringers    :archer:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I use the push/pull method often, but only on bows under 45#. Use it mainly on the Grandkids bows. Although I can use the method on bows up to 60# easily, I won't... just a lot safer using a stringer. I shoot longbows up to 105# and it is not possible for me to Push/Pull one over 65#. Don't know if it is a strength issue or mental. Just because you can draw a bow of a particular weight doesn't mean you can safely use the Push/Pull method to string it.
If I happen to forget my stringer when using a heavier weight bow, if I can't borrow one, I would opt to use the step through method. Would much rather take the risk of harming the bow than harming any body parts. And I've never harmed a bow using step through, just be aware of what your doing and normally you will have no problems.
JMHO on the matter.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
As I said I use a stringer. For the recurve I use 2 feet at least shoulder width apart and my right foot closer to the limb tip that I slid the string on. It bends that tip a little more and makes it easer. That was from Black Widow.

The long bow I just use 1 foot (read it some where), and it works great.

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I just use the stringer. I'm still new enough that even that methods gets my attention completely, and I hope it stays that way.

YMMV

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I have used all the above methods and I prefer the Push Pull over the other methods. they all have risks. I did a video a couple of months back to show the method using a recurve and a longbow.

Here is the link

If you watch the video I lean to one side when stringing the Bows and Make sure I have a good grip on the limbs.

Offline petertschantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
great video, I'll be looking at the rest later today.

Pete
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"

Offline Timmy1668

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Just got a Howard Hill 70 inch longbow. What will be the best way to sting it since my hand won't reach the nock using a bow stringer?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
I don't and have never trusted those tiny cups on the ends of a bow stringer.  I want both my hands on that bow, controlling it in the event something doesn't go as planned.

I've use push pull for a long time.  Limb tips never come anywhere close to being lined up with my eyes!  I can't imagine why someone would be looking down a loaded limb.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
I believe the safest way to string a bow is with a stringer.

Yes, the cups can break on a stringer, but the push pull method can damage (twist) a bow's limb or if something slips, take out an eye.    :eek:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Again, if that limb tip is anywhere close to in line with your eye, you aren't doing it right.

As for twist, I have never seen a bow twisted by push pull.  Ever.  I've seen them twisted from step through and I have seen them twisted from improper storage, but you'd have to be the friggin hulk to truly twist a bow push pulling it.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
i like my eyes..i only have 2 an i make alot of mistakes..i'll stick with my stringers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©