3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas Turkey Hunt - Jack Kempf Scores!  (Read 485 times)

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas Turkey Hunt - Jack Kempf Scores!
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Well let me start off by saying that this may take a few days to get it all done. Still recovering from "Truck Lag". I'm on night shift with lots to do around here during the day, plus scouting and looking for sheds. I hate the long drawn out posts, so will do my best.

I picked up Jack and we left Edmonton on Saturday the 9th.We got to Red Deer to hook up with Terry Brew (Bowshot). After loading our gear into his truck we took off.

We arrived in Kansas at our host Dan (Doc) Witt about 3 am on Monday.

Doc is a man of many talents and a fantastic guy. We had a ball during the week and ate like kings.

After a short night's sleep we organized our gear, downloaded our permits and did a bit of scouting.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas Turkey Hunt - Jack Kempf Scores!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
We were helped out a bit by local Game Warden Brian Hazlett and his Dad, Jake. Also retired Warden &"Legend" Tracy Galvin.

We combined calling near known Roosting sites and also "corned" locations to bring in Turkeys.

Doc dropped me off the first afternoon near a Roost where I hoped to intercept some birds traveling the creek bed. I saw a few but no shots.

When we got back together later that evening, both Terry and Jack had missed birds.

The next morning Tracy and I headed out to the same blind I was in the night before. He had killed a nice Tom a couple of days before and would do some calling for me.

Once we were settled in he gave a few yelps and we soon realized that we were too close as the response was almost over our heads.

If you have never hunted Turkeys before let me say that the only thing that could compare with a half dozen Gobblers calling in the dark would be and Elk or Moose coming in to a call.

As birds flew down they landed out in the pasture and the show began.

We saw 7 Gobblers that morning and at least a dozen hens. Nothing would come in to our calls though. Tracy figured that they saw us coming in and were spooky.

Nice sunrise with a few Turkeys off to the right. (Hard to see)
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
We met for lunch and found that Jack and Terry had some action again. Brian had called in a couple of Gobblers for them but no luck.

In the evening I went to a "corned" location and set up my blind. I wasn't there long when a Gobbler started calling and headed my way. He soon came in and was picking up kernels. I was trying to get set for a shot when I heard some more Gobbling and saw two big Tom's following a couple of Hens. They hung up just out of range and the Hens turned off taking the Boys with them. The first Tom strutted around my blind for a while but never offered me another opportunity.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Man I wish I new you where down that's 9 miles from me doc and brain are awsome to be around sound like you had a great trip later jake

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
Ok, hit us with the rest of this.....this sounds like it's going to get good.  That looks like great turkey country!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Come on Gun, give us the rest! One of these years I'm gonna invite myself along.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Good for Jack !!! You had some great company Gun.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
:campfire:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Way to go Jack, we need more pics...

:campfire:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Rumor has it Gun dug out a pit blind for Jack and he hammered a nice tom....from a standing position! Way to go fellas....and congrats to Jack Kempf....

OK Jack...vacation is over...back to putting out some hunting weapons  :readit:    :notworthy:    ;)
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
OK Jack...vacation is over...back to putting out some hunting weapons     :readit:          :notworthy:          ;)    
:biglaugh:    Yeah Joe, when I become President the first law I am going to pass will be no traditional bowyers will be able to hunt. As a matter of fact I will push that they all be locked in their shops and whips handed out to their wives.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Congrats to Jack ,, I just knew the way you been shooting that you would get one ,   :wavey:
Gord

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
CONGRATS,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
OK see if I can finish this. Joe, you're half right.

Wednesday morning found us all in the same location but in different blinds. Brian was feeling sorry for me because I had yet to get a shot. He decided to move across a creek and close to a Roost. Jack and Terry would cover the field they flew into but from different angles.

Brian got them worked up again while it was still dark. What a rush! As it became light enough, Turkeys flew down and into the small field and close to where Jack was. Immediatly there was strutting by a number of Gobblers.

Brian started calling but none responded. They were too busy trying to impress the ladies out in the open.

After an hour we could tell that they were breaking up out there. We wondered why the other guys weren't shooting. (They were)

All of a sudden we heard some Gobbling coming closer. Brian did his best at sounding sexy. Two big Toms came out on a small ridge about 50 yds in front of us and put on quite a display. The Sun was just coming up behind them, backlighting their feathers. Wow what a sight!!

They would not come any closer soon followed the ridge to the south of us. A few Hens soon followed them. We continued to hear Gobbling for another hour and then it slowed down.

We took down the blind and went across the creek to find Terry looking for arrows and Jack had a shot too.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
That afternoon I went with Jack to Jake's place. He had a portable blind set up in a corner of a pasture near a Winter Wheat field. This is what I mean by portable.

Both these guys are a bit hard of hearing. Sitting in this blind was an experience when they started talking. We saw quite a few Turkeys that afternoon, along with some cows. Jack had another shot at a Tom and it looked like he took some feathers off. By now he was frustrated with his shooting and talking about just fishing. I tried to get him to relax. It was good to see him still get excited about Bowhunting at 79 years young. He had a case of "Turkey Fever".

Jake went out to fetch the arrow but there was no blood on it. A group of 3 nice Toms showed up soon after that with a couple of Hens. They crossed a ravine and went into another pasture.

The set-up.

After a half hour they started to come back but the cows showed up and spooked them.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
Thursday a front moved in and the wind picked up. I spent the morning at my original spot and although I saw Birds they all stayed out on the hillside.

Terry hit a nice Tom that afternoon. The hit looked perfect but he ran up to some other Gobblers and picked a fight. They all crested a hill and Brian and Terry took off after them but couldn't find the bird. Brian filmed the shot and we couldn't believe that the bird wasn't down.

Jack was with Jake but didn't see much either.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Friday found me in the same blind in the morning. The wind had picked up considerably overnight. I sat until Doc showed up about 10 but saw only one Hen and a half dozen Squirrels.

Brian, Terry, and Jack were out together but had no luck.

None of us wanted to go out in the afternoon as it was so windy. I didn't believe anything would be out much less try to hit anything.

It was our last chance as we were leaving in the morning. Brian had some work to do. Late in the afternoon we decided to give it one last go. Jake wanted Jack to come out. Terry and I went to the area where he hit his bird yesterday.

We had to really anchor the blinds. I tied mine to two trees.

I didn't believe I would see a thing but had a good book. I figured I could read there as well as back at the bunk house.

I was sure surprised a half hour later when I looked out the window and saw 7 Hens coming across the field towards me.

A few of them came to within easy bow range and I hoped a Gobbler would show up. The wind was blowing so hard that at one point a wall of my blind sprung back in towards me. I pushed it back out, the Hens didn't even notice.

Terry was set up about 30 yds. from me. The Hens fed down towards the creek. About a half hour later I heard Terry whistle. I looked around and saw a dozen Turkeys coming along a fenceline about 70 yds from us. There were 3 nice Toms and the rest Jakes. They were on a mission and never came near us. We saw another flock of Toms come out of the creek bottom but they also went in the same direction as the previous group. Terry came over soon after that and we packed up. It was cold! We found out later that there were gusts over 50 mph that afternoon.

As we drove to Jake's to get Jack we discussed our trip. We both thought that we had a great time even though we didn't get a Turkey. I never did get a shot.

As we drove up Jake's driveway I said it would be really cool if Jack got one the last afternoon.

We walked into the House just as Tracy, Jake's wife, was putting out some supper for us. Jake asked us if we had any luck. We told him what we saw. We then asked Jack what he saw and he said that he shot one! They got up and went to the back door. Terry and I followed and on the step lay a big Gobbler. We roughed Jack up a bit and congratulated him on his bird. It was a fun afternoon for them. They had a group come in early and Jack again took feathers off a Tom. They took off but soon another group came in and he made the next shot count at about 8 feet.

We took some pictures then finished supper.

I was pretty happy for Jack. He has donated so many of his Bows to our Provincial Clubs to help raise funds. A lot of guys in our Trad Club shoot his bows.

From left to right, Me,Jack,Jake, and Terry.

Congrats Jack. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Congrats!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Congratulations Jack! Looks like a fine trip.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Nice bird and great story congrats!
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©