3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ** MOREL MUSHROOMS **  (Read 2338 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ** MOREL MUSHROOMS **
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
A few here in S.W. Ohio.
Bill

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
brother found about 30 a few days ago.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Are there any in western nebraska outside of the platte riverbottom? Going to be up chasing turkeys again this weekend, may keep an eye out, but I'm doubtful.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
Would we have them in Eastern NC?  I know it's too late in the season now but for next spring.....
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
I have been in the woods my whole life and have never seen one......I must be looking in the wrong spots....I stump shoot a fair amount ,more since I retired and I would think I would stumble on some just looking for arrows....LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
I only pulled one last year (found two, but I only collect 50%).    :(  

Nothing yet this year.

Those I found last year were beside a clutch of seven turkey eggs!  So I beat out of that area and left her be (hope she came back after I disturbed her).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Ron,

The first one is always the hardest one to Find.  After that, they can tend to jump at you.  Last year my wife and I found about 3 pounds.

I was in the dog House for a whole because I sent our last pound to SC for a fellow TG'er. I thought we would find more but the weather turned  really nice and the season ended.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
Just got back from a from a walk near the house (mainly to listen for turkeys) and found a enough to 1/2 fill a qt. baggie. They are soaking is salt water as I write this and there is a venison steak thawing on the counter beside the bowl.

Tonight is yum-yum night!!
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I stumbeled onto a couple dozen this morning while out walking my dog, another week and they will be every where around here.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
My buddies wife picked 244 and their friends another few hundred early ones. Had to eat them 3 times last weekend with barbecued deer steaks...   :D

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
This is a great thread.

I've wondered about hunting mushrooms for years but never knew someone to teach me. Are there Morels in CO, what other edibles would be here? The pics are great! More pics and info about what I could find out west would be greatly appreciated.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Morels are the only ones I trust myself with - if the stem and head is hollow they're safe (false morels have solid or "swiss cheesey" stems).  At one of my early employers there was a large local Ukranian heritage and spring weekends they would be out after "chicks, pinkies and shaggies" with tales of the hunt come Monday.  

I bought a mushroom guide and for every edible mushroom there is something deadly which is almost identical looking with names like "Destroying Angel, Fierce Adder Blood or Explosive Liver Killer" or whatnot.  I also like the comments like "not recommend" or "not toxic in small amounts".  Yummmmm.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I noticed many m,ushrooms are not poisonous bu not edible either.

I dont recommend it but I know an, Italian fella in his 80's whjo always said, if teh bugs and deer eat it, so can people.  I always investigate wild mushrooms but did discover the "Bay Bolete" this way. Of course maggots like em too.

Steve, I kow there are mushrooms on the west coast but I am not sure of Colorodo. Usually there are Foraging forums that give local updates. I know out west places of recent forest fires are hot spots for Morels. Good Luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Turtles can eat mushrooms that will kill a human - as can eating that turtle's liver.  You have to know your mushrooms AND your bite marks.  ;-)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Crazy Turtles  :mad:  

Thanks for the update Charlie.  You should of had Morel Smothered over easy Turkey Eggs.  :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
If I'd a been hungry . . .  ;-)

Two mornings in a row now we've had a wild hen outside the fence where our Naragansett tom is strutting and displaying.  'Ol Fred is hoping for some wild turkey 'tang.  Wilma's sitting on six eggs but they were awash after last Saturday and I'm afraid it's game over for those chicks.  I built her a roofed nest box - but of course she avoids it and puts them in the lowest spot outside in the enclosure.    :rolleyes:  

It's funny - after the battles with raising turkeys and the heartaches of attrition to egg thieves and, once they hatch, losing chicks to exposure & predation I have lost the "edge" to kill a wild turkey.  I still go out and hunt but am happy just to watch them.  We had five chicks out of eight eggs last year and only one made it to 6 months old.  Free range has it's costs.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Found my first Morels here in KY this morning.
Gary Logsdon

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
The grass is just turning green here! What are prime morel conditions?
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
south facing slopes first, then as it warms they show in valleys and the north sides of hills, 55-60 degrees

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©