3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbows verus Recurves  (Read 648 times)

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Longbows verus Recurves
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
I started shooting longbows many years ago and then a few years back I started trying recurves and pretty much went full recurve for a while. I just never got as comfortable with curves and started back on longbows a few months ago. I now have only two recurves on the rack. My Blacktail and my Charlie Lamb. Probably keep them cause they were custom made for me. My longbows are as follows.

1) Big Jim Buffalo Bow
2) Charlie Lamb longbow
3) Super Shrew Gold
4) Cari-bow Silver Fox
5) Brackenbury Non-Typical

I just shoot the longbows better. Will probably add a Schaffer Silvertip t/d longbow if I find one to my likeing, but for now as has been said before. I am done buying and trading for a while anyway.  :)
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbows verus Recurves
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
awsome. alot of nice bows thier.

i started with teh curve (my kodiak) then switched to longbows.  trying to trade my beeler to try something else and keeping my 66" hybrid cause that things a shooter
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline zigman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
That's what I like about trad, you can shoot what feels good

zigman

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I'm the opposite. Been shooting recurves for 47 years. Bought a hybrid longbow and shot it for 2 years. However, I never shot the longbow as accurately as I can with my recurves. The longbow style straight grip never felt comfortable to me. Sold the longbow and only shoot recurves now.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
I like the long bows with a recurve style grip.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
I'm with Night Wing.  Tried a longbow exclusively for 5 years or so and never got so I enjoyed it as much as a recurve.  It was the "old" style straight grip.  Not sure what you call it?  Painful?  Awkward?  I like the newer American Flatbow styles with center-cut recurve style risers, but recurves suit me.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
ain't one better'en another, just diff'rent sticks for diff'rent folks with diff'rent strokes.  whatever makes ya shoot best will be best, says i.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I like shooting any bow. My favorite is a Jack Howard Gamemaster Jet. I like to tinker though so I find myself shooting in a bow rotation.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Back and forth pretty much describes my long journey through archery, recurves, longbows, back to recurves, then both, and now a complete convert to straight limbed, straight handled longbows. I no longer have a recurve.

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
I am an equal opportuity misser.  Have missed with both but enjoy longbow more.  Why?  I don't know.  Perhaps the challenge.  Agree with Rob.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
I just like the look and feel of a one piece longbow.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I have and enjoy shooting both, but the last year my preference is Morrison Shawnee Longbow, although I like my Centaurs pretty well too!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm a longbow fan,I started out shooting longbows and just prefer them.I've played around with some nice recurves,but always went back to my longbows.I never really cared for a recurve type grip,the only recurves I really like are the 50's style.Because they have more of a longbow type grip.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Stick with one bow and shoot it, I too played around with over 100 custom bows in a few year period, never shot to my full potential. I am now shooting 3 recurves but all set up to shoot between 190-200fps. I can pick any of them up and shoot equally as well, I grip them the same and they all can shoot better than I can so it works for me. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Tried both, just like Long bows better myself. My good friend is just the opposite. All personal preferance.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
I'm bound and determined to get this Predator dialed in.  I have a Sentman R/D longbow and started with a cheap 68" longbow. Too many years on a compound perhaps but I just plain shoot the recurve better.  Can't get it dead silent just yet.  

Eventually I think a 3pc recurve riser with a set of hard R/D longbow limbs would be ideal.

Like OPRick, I am an equal opportunity misser, and agree with Rob that it's really just a personal preference.
Micah 6:8

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
I almost always take two or three bows out when I shoot! Longbows and recurves! I shoot both carbons and woodies! I shoot at the bale target and Mr. McKenzie! I simply love shooting! IMHO...I am a firm believer that variety is the best way, (at least for me), through which one can experience the fullness of this sport! "Shooting the arrow at the bale...what bow to use? Oh, what the hale"..."Having several bows in which to choose, stick in hand, you cannot lose"  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I'm still on the fence.  Somedays I would swear I shoot my recurve much better, but then a week later I am convince my longbows are the way to go.  I do know I prefer carrying my longbows on long hikes!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Both styles are great bows!  I pretty much shot recurves the first 40 years of my hunting, then bought a Spirit longbow by Bryan Holley last year, and am planning on shooting the next 40 years with a reflex/deflex longbow.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Forgot to mention I have a strong fascination with primitive recurve bows. I could easily see myself shooting an osage recurve exclusively, but I'm not sure why I'm so enamored by them.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©