3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Jig question.  (Read 328 times)

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
String Jig question.
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I have been thinking for a while about trying to learn to twist strings. However, is the number in the middle of the board for string lenth Amo or actual string length?

This is the plan I was referring to.

http://www.tradgang.com/stuff_bin/stringjig.jpg  

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Jig question.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I've got a couple jigs which have the same overall measurements. Mine are set for AMO length.
Once you lay out the bundles for your first string you'll pretty much know, the strands will be 14 - 16 inches longer than the finished string length,  (after twisting your loops, and before putting twist in the string). Hope this makes sense.
The 14 to 16 difference depends on whether you start your loops 7 or 8 inches from end of bundles.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Mine are set for AMO as well, call 3Rivers, and ask the tech guy's they well tell you how theirs are set up.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
James ,
  Not shure if that jig plan was made like the one I have and I made my jig off a Video that was out back in the mid to late 80's called Buttler's Flemish strings or something of that nature...The jig was very much like the one you are showing but the first line was your number "1" then up to number "10"...The one you have starts with line "0" then up to line "9"....The middle bow length marks were for the "A.M.O." length written on most bow's and you just put your peg to the "A.M.0." Length and it came out to the length needed for that bow...I've also noticed on mine I have to watch how much twist I give the string and where I start the twisting process cause longbow's and recurves are all built a little different now a days and I adjust accordingly...I've watched that Butler's video over 25 times or more on making my jig and took notes before making it...You also can make a jig to hold the string while serving it that I Recently made from some idea that just popped into my noggin...The idea was to make a string stretcher and it also doubles as a "serving ma string jig" as well... I need to do a "new improved stretching jig" and will hopefully be smart enougth by then to take pics and learn to post them in the  How to section here someday....The cost to do the stretching jig was about $20.00! Anyway to answer that question I personally believe your jig plans were for the A.M.O. length and if you used the 64' PEG then that string when done doing the twist should come out to be a 60" STRING OR 61"  + OR - and that depends where you start your twist like from 71/4 ,73/4 or 8" and how tight you twist...Others will surly chime in to help you as well...Keep Checking back here... God Bless, Keefer's <><

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks guys. This is something that I am interested in trying to learn, but I want to get all the questions and what not that I am not sure of out of the way.

James
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Comparing this plan to my jigs I'd say it is AMO. One thing you may find is that after you tie in your loops, if the string comes up a little short and you are not able to put enough twists in the finished string (when tuning your bow and setting your brace height), you will either need to reduce your lengths made for your loops or loop sizes. I generally use 8 inches for my bottom loop and nine inches for my top loop and that allows enough for a good twist as you twist the loop end back into your string. I have found with two different bow makers and both at a 64" AMO one bow needs just a little more string so I actually tie those strings at a 65" AMO and it allows for enough twists on the finished string. My jigs both go in 1 inch increments rather than 2 inch for the AMO length, but that is an easy add on with the diagram you have. It is a lot of fun tying up your own strings and not that difficult once you get started. Folks here will give you lots of help. Best of luck to you!

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
You can simplify your life considerably if you don't use a jig. Take the length of the string you need, add 16" to that measurement,and drive two nails into a wall at that distance. That becomes the length of the bundles for your string. Then proceed as usual.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©