3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Military face paint?  (Read 535 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Military face paint?
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Picked up a some at a surplus store.  Looks like a lipstick tube with green on one end of the stick and "loam" (brown I assume) on the other.  How easy is the stuff to get off? Will handi-wipes do the trick?  My go-to has been the Jones stuff that comes in the little plastic discs, which I consider to wipe off fairly easily.  This stuff looks a bit drier, of coarse I noticed it's about 12 years old! lol
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Military face paint?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
the older it is the harder to get off is what I have found......I have had good luck with hadi-wipes, but I would try some on a arm or hand before I fully committed to a full face
deployment.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I've always just used face wash from wally-world. Works good for me, but then again I didn't use 12 year old paint!    :biglaugh:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I use face paint military, hunters specialties, whatever. It comes off with Dawn. Keep a bottle at camp.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I had an old tube I had bought when I was in high school, I had found it about 12 years later....long story short, nothing a little dishwashing soap couldn't handle
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
I still have one of those around here somewhere. I remember that getting it off wasn't tooo bad, but it was so dry that I almost tore my skin getting it on!

But then, who knows, mine might have been from World War Two.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Not the military surplus kind but Monday I used some of the commercial face paint from Hunters Specialties. I tried getting it off with the moist wipes, must have used about a half dozen wipes before I gave up.  I'm going back to my burnt corks!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
One trick we used to do when I was in the Army was to put on some of that Avon Skin So Soft oil before rubbing the camo on. Makes it go on easier and a little easier to clean off. Also that Avon stuff works as a bug repellant.
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Wet Ones are great for cleaning BBQ off your fingers at a restaraunt. You guys should carry some real soap in the woods.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline copperhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Back when Jesus Christ was a lance corporal and I was a young marine it would wear off with sweat and abrasion,(sleeve wiping)in about three days. Don't waste your money, much better stuff out there.  If your very thrifty though mix it with lotion and put it in another bottle, stolen from mama's vanity and It'll work good!
47# 56" Anneewakee Addiction recurve
"Don't tread on me!"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
A bunch of us camoed up with that stuff for a mission in Viet Nam. It stayed on for about a week and a half... I tried to get it off after the 3rd day.
   :banghead:  

Here's a couple of tips.

1. Warm the stick with a cig lighter before applying for best/easiest coverage.

2.Baby oil can be used to remove it. Wipe on oil liberally and then wipe off with a dry paper towel. Finish with soap and water... apply soap before lathering up or putting ANY water on it.

The Skin So Soft trick sounds like a winner.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I still use the stuff that I had from my time in the Army and I havent been enlisted since '92!  I usually warm it up before using it (car defroster, pocket, lighter etc) because it can go on a bit rough when cold.  I have used wet wipes to clean up after hunting but I find good old soap and water do the trick so much better.  Clean up is pretty much what Ive experienced out of almost all camo paint but your mileage may vary.  What I do like about it is I can toss a stick in each of bags and not worry about making a mess if the caps come off.  Ive had the small compacts come open with the greasy easy to apply paint and get all over everything! Also it tends to stay put as compared to the greasy stuff, I only have to clean up my face at the end of the day not my face and all my gear.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Like has been said, warm it up first to make it easier to apply, and use baby oil to "loosen" it up when you want to remove it.

Also, as has been said alot better stuff out there.  We don't even use that stuff in the Army anymore.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Mine is probably at least 20 years old and still works great. It never was easy to wash off. Now it requires heavy scraping of your face to remove. Did you notice the smell that it has? Doesn't seem to spook the deer so I keep using it.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
We used to squirt it with bug repellant to soften it before putting it on.  Wipe it off with baby oil, then wash with soap and water.  Don't get it in your eyebrows.  Bill

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I always found it to be a bother when it starts to dry and flake off. It's hard enough to keep still when hunting so I use the newer stuff. That's just me and my opinion. Good Lu k Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Acetone and scotchbrite pads work wonders to get it off.  At least that's what I thought I was going to have to use the last time I tried the old military face paint.

Dave

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Carbomask comes off easy with water.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline zigman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Used it back when we were fighting the "Cold War"
Baby oil followed by soap and water got it off.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
burnt cork works dandy and comes off easy fer sure  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©