3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Talkin' where's the gobblers???  (Read 492 times)

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Talkin' where's the gobblers???
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by SEMO_HUNTER:

Living Waters - Your probably the closest one to me at just about 1 hour south, and what you described sounds exactly like what I've experienced so far except I have not seen a gobbler as of yet. Day 4 now turned out to be a bust also, didn't even see a hen this morning. But I did find a heck of a sack of morels, ended up with 4 quart ziploc bags full after they were cleaned and sliced in halves ready to bread and fry. I just need some fresh turkey breast to fry now.

Man That is not fair! went out this afternoon scouting some new territory, and I was hoping to find a few for supper tomorrow No luck. but I did get to clean a turkey this morning. Friend of mine was going in to work after hunting and on the way seen some birds in  field. he went on top of the hill above the birds and began calling 5 toms came right to him, he said they never made a sound. So I cleaned it for him so he wouldn't be late for work.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I just saw the weather forecast and we may see up to 9" of rain through Sunday! Ouch!
I gotta go get my blind out in the morning cause I'm way too close to the river if/when the biblical flood hits. I've already lost 2 blinds to the river floods, I don't wanna make it 3 blinds. This might shut things down for a little bit cause it looks like solid rain through the middle of next week, which could work in my favor?
I've seen a peak in activity just after such a weather front, so maybe by the time it breaks later next week the gobblers will get their groove on. I hope!   :pray:  

Living Waters- I found 251 little grey mushrooms in 2 days on the 9th and 10th of this month. We had some friends over for a fish fry cause my uncle and another of our buddies limited out on crappie on Wappapello Lake, and I fried the mushrooms. We ate till we were almost sick, but a good kinda sick.......more like fat as a tick!   :goldtooth:  
Wish ya lived closer cause I woulda called ya.
Your probably gonna get a bunch of this rain that's coming the way it looks. The whole SE portion of the state is gonna get pounded.
Should be plenty of flooded timber down there at Mingo? That may be a good thing also, less area for turkeys to hide out in?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
No cure for morel sickness except more morels  :)

Mmmmmmm good !!

Great job!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 06:00:00 AM »
Natures candy Coaster!
My favorite Redneck meal ever is Fried turkey breast and fresh morels dipped in egg wash, flour, and deep fried!!!   :thumbsup:  
That right there is so good you'll slap your grandma!   :goldtooth:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Been real tough here in Michigan. Seen 1 bird so far only heard two others. This is very unusual for us, but 2 inches off snow falling opening morning did not help either.
TGMM

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Dice them with some fresh wild onions saute in butter, scramble in some eggs, deep fry the sliced breast in an egg batter and serve on a hot home made yeast biscuit (my recipe). Now see what you did Chris, if this steady rain gets out of here like they are saying I will have to go look for some this afternoon.
Thundering and lightning again this morning, that makes hunting not enjoyable, but the thing that made me turn the alarm off and go back to bed was the wind......Man everyday this week the wind has been terrible, even if the birds were vocal you couldn't hear them. Rain now in the forecast until next Friday. Love a day that rain ends with a sunny sky but this is ridicules.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Well Semo hes not big but its to tough to pass up turkey breast.  Shot him at 640 Friday morning at the long distance of 6 yds.  He was facing me when the 2020 with a 175 grain Woodsman hit him.  I didnt get much arrow in him as I hit the brest plate pretty hard but i did get down into the goodies.  I was using a Widow PLV 56@28 he had two beards one was 4.5" the other 5".

Online trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
I cant tell ya where they are, but I can sure tell ya where they aint! Had about 6 located b4 season started on 4/16. havent heard a gobbler since season opened in south Ark

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
That is very nice right there.  Another long day.  Didn't see or hear one straight  through noon.  I'm goin down swinging.

I'm assuming you were in a blind?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Jeff and Chris:

Did you guys come out of those storms yesterday OK?

Paducah got smacked and the storm came through down your way Jeff...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Yes was in a blind

Offline Kurt Miller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
I also haven't heard a bird this year when normally just step out behind house and at least get a response to calls.  Seen a few tracks, I know they are here, just not talkin or showing up.  I have my new board bow and want to get a shot so badly they probably sense it a mile away  :)   The last couple weeks of April are usually quite good for me here so maybe luck changes this week!

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Does anyone have a good build along for a boat paddle........ Finally seeing turkeys on the high spots trying to stay out of the flood water, but will need a boat to get to them. Will some one please turn the water off?

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Huntschool:
Jeff and Chris:

Did you guys come out of those storms yesterday OK?

Paducah got smacked and the storm came through down your way Jeff...
So far so good or so wet, the tornadoes have missed us so far but the rain is relentless. 4 inches saturday night that put us at 9 1/2 and today and last night we have got another 4 and it is still raining. Levee breaks on 2 rivers and the lake is expected to top its emergency spill way for the first time in 50 years.

On a bright note (if there is one) Bloodline TV filmed my future son n law and one of his friends bowfishing on one of the highways here today. They were in town to film a bow turkey hunt and seen those guys shooting buffalo and decided it was a better story than filming the lack of turkeys. I refused to stand in the rain and shoot fish in the highway, they enjoyed the fact that I wimped out and they my get on tv. I believe they called me something like....... old and lame   :)

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I have only been out once this year, Iowa weather has been busy making floods for Missouri, but it was very very quiet out there.  My flock has moved somewhere, I think maybe the run and gun kids have been out.  When they hear turkeys gobble they run after them, not thinking that maybe someone like me is trying to call them.  Happened to me three times in one week a couple of years back, turkeys getting close then all of a sudden some punk kids come charging through.  I have seen them push the turkeys off of public and easily accessed private ground often over the last few years.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
A buddy and I just got back from northern Idaho and got 2 Toms but it was tough hunting. Worst I've seen in years. Really tough to call in but the weather was bad, stormed every day, hail, snow and windy. Got 12" of snow Thurs night. They wern't as vocal as usual.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©