3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: double nocks on string  (Read 690 times)

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
double nocks on string
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
does this happen to you !  ive been shooting my 53lb lee rec iv been noticing goofy arrow flight so i stripped of feathers on one shaft shot a few times and had diff results stiff weak bare shaft hitting high then low for 3days i beat my brain . i shoot 3under i noticed that the lower nock which is dental floss seemed to be worn .arrow nock was had alot of slop upand down retied the lower nock and now im back to good arrow flight I STILL LOVE TRAD !

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: double nocks on string
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
your serving is probably moving around on you. gotta watch that. i use thread and super glue for my nocks and it moves. the brass nocks tend to clamp the serving in place and can prevent this. hope this helps.

Offline paoloi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I shoot three under and only have a top knot. From your post, have you abandoned your bottom nock, or did you just tie a new one?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
I like to use two tie on nocks,been doing that for around 15 years since I started shooting Trad bows.Just the way I have always done it.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I use two tied on nocks to keep the arrow from slipping down also. I have found that even the same size and style nock from the same manufacturer may grip the string different in different colors(my bohning signature flo. yellow is noticeably tighter than the standard yellow). With only a top nock I would get a bobble/wobble arrow every few shots and noticed the nocks on those arrows fit looser. Added a second nock point and problem solved.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I used two when shooting 3 under, but since I switched back to split finger, I find the second nock to be superfluous. I've tried one and two and can't see a difference in flight when shooting split. I did notice and occasional bobble when shooting 3 under with only one nock.

I use B50 for my tied on nocks and they don't move around. They will wear out eventually, but are cheap to replace. I don't like brass. It wears my tab/glove and the only strings I've had break broke at the metal nock.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
i shoot the same setup. brass nock on top and dental floss knot on bottom. i do get wear on my dental floss. not sure if it is from bad release causing arrow nock to push against it. or i think my glove wears on it from releaseing string.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I use 2 tied on knocks. I used to shoot a brass top knock but it wore out my glove as well.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I shoot 2 fingers under and I always use one nock above and at the very least a rubber eliminator button below. Now I started using the rubber eliminator button right against the bottom of the arrow nock as a cushion and a brass string nock below the rubber button. Arrow nock slippage can be a real problem and really mess with ya. It will con you into thinking something else is wrong when it's just simply a nock slipping problem with a simple fix.
Besides, what's it gonna cost you to try one? Brass string nocks are cheap, try it and if it makes no difference just take it back off.

At least I can be sure my nock isn't slipping down so that eliminates one problem that I don't have to deal with, then look elsewhere for improper arrow flight issues like fletching contact, arrow spine, brace height, ect.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
i use 2 dental floss nocks with a light super glue coating to keep them in place

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
I shoot split finger and use one tie in (not waxed) dental floss knot above, with a drop of super glue smoothed around the floss. Have never had it slip or wear out.

Offline Chimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I went to two nocks also for the same reason. Got great arrow flight right away. I use two brass. Yes it does wear more but I don't care. The arrows fly like laser beams!!!

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chimaster:
I went to two nocks also for the same reason. Got great arrow flight right away. I use two brass. Yes it does wear more but I don't care. The arrows fly like laser beams!!!
I use a crimped on 2 nock set also....whats the advantages/disadvantages of having the lower one tied on or just using a crimp on nock?
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
High speed video revealed arrow nocks do move down the string at release....it happens with both split and 3 under.

Check this vid out

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtravis58/AVIs#5440061375576120818
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Been advocating this for a loooong time and nobody seemed to give a rip. This is fool proof! LOL

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
You may not know it Charlie but when you talk we listen. I've been using both top and bottom tied on nocks since you posted that arrow in mid launch that slipped down the string.

Is that yellow serving or string material?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I pay attention Charlie. My top "nock" is double serving for an inch or so(it never slips)but my bottom one is just a knot as I shoot 3 under.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
You may not know it Charlie but when you talk we listen. I've been using both top and bottom tied on nocks since you posted that arrow in mid launch that slipped down the string.

Is that yellow serving or string material?
X2.....I listened as well! Thanks Charlie and Rod!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Charlie,
 Do you remember when the "GOOD IN PLENTY" candy was out and that little song/jingle that went like this...Charlie says "I love my Good in Plenty"? Well I can't help from listing as well when Charlie say's something about archery that will benafit us in our quest to advance in our shooting/hunting skills..Good video there and just in the past month I just decided to try a tie on nock and loved it ...I just got curious from a good friend named Otis saying he does one above and under so I took a spare nock slipped it on the string as my guide and some 450 plus string material and tied one below just to give it a try...Now I then set up our video camera inside my workshop directly in front of the target to see what my groups looked like and to help me really consentrate more on my shooting skills and not to hit our camera cause if I did I would be in the doghouse forever... My group was all in the center of my rineheart 18 target and I was busting a few nocks...I noticed three things while doing this..No slippage,bow was more quiet,and better groups...I also didn't hit the camcorder and still get to sleep in our bed...For now on I'll have a tie on above and below..  :D

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Gosh thanks guys. Makes an old guy feel good.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©