3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: double nocks on string  (Read 689 times)

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: double nocks on string
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Is there a benefit to "tying" on the 2nd nock or is it ok just to "crimp" another brass nock set on under ?
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Hmmm... Interesting stuff to ponder. I have used double brass in the past, and it was fine. I might try it again.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Onlyaspike:
Is there a benefit to "tying" on the 2nd nock or is it ok just to "crimp" another brass nock set on under ?
The benefit of tying on the lower nock instead of using a brass one is that the tied-on nock doesn't wear out your tab or glove like a brass nock will. If you shoot split finger then you might consider tying on the upper AND lower nock instead of using brass nocks for the same reason.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline goatkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
I use two served nockpoints about 1/4" apart, so the nock doesn't push of the string at full draw.

Its a good idea to learn how to tie these onto your serving.

A longer string serving is also more stable and shoots better than a shorter one.
Maki-Mato

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
This is one of the best topics I've seen and for many years I was a brass nock user..NOT ANY MORE...I know some of you will want to learn how to do this so check out the "HOW TO" section and Rob has a simple pic post..If you have a printer copy his photos and go try it..You will see the difference and even an old guy who's been shooting since I was 13/14 yr.s old can learn a new lesson sometimes...Keefer's <")))><

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Looks like a great set up there Charlie. Thanks for the tip.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
I have been tying my nock on both top and bottom, works great for me.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
2-X, or is it 5-X, what Charlie does.  It really helps the fingers when using a skinny string.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Always use crimp on...does anyone have a simple way, explanation of how to effectively do tie on knocks?  Having never done it, I would be interested so I don't srew it up???

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Check out the "How-to" section on here. Rob and another or two have videos on how to do it.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
That looks good Charlie, may have to tinker with that some, try to be open minded, always learning. That being said, I  use a clamp on brass nock 95% of the time, never had any issues with just one nock. I have had guys with terrible arrow fligth due to using 2 nocks, remove the bottom one and the problem leaves. I shoot 3 under. It always seemed like served knots were in a continual state of wear to me.
samuel koger

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Latest issue of TBM has an article on it as well.   My only dilema has always been the string stretch/ readjust (redo!) of the tied on nock points.  As a string stretches, the nocking point changes.  With clamp ons you just readjust.  However I have also noticed clamp ons below the nock have a tendency to creep slightly downward. So... I go back and forth and have used both.  No offense to Charlie but your string better be REALLY broken in to commit to that much tie on IM (humble)O.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
As the string stretch it dosnt change the nock location.The bow tillers by the limbs.Shouldnt have to move anything.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I just use serving material and tie what we call a worm knot.  Just alternating half knots, (about 8 of them) tied the opposite way the serving is wound.  As the string stretches you just screw the nock point up or down the serving til it gets where you want it.  Kinda like using your serving like allthread.

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, just what I was looking for.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Sant:
I just use serving material and tie what we call a worm knot.  Just alternating half knots, (about 8 of them) tied the opposite way the serving is wound.  As the string stretches you just screw the nock point up or down the serving til it gets where you want it.  Kinda like using your serving like allthread.
That's what I do, but I use 10 knots instead of 8. I learned this about 20 years ago and it was called the "ten knot nock". I then put a small amount of fletch-tite glue on it and let it glaze over and it works great.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
Like Michael of Legends bows said,"the nocking point doesn't change".... unless your string is only stretching on one end.

While I sure don't want to sound like a smart ass, I'm not sure why if your string stretches you would change the nocking point height. I always thought you would adjust the string to it's proper length/brace height.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I really really like what I'll call the Lamb-nock  :)

But I've tried it in the past and got frustrated with something on the nock-knot just not being right.

I'll have sit down and try it again since I'm in the process of setting another bow up.  It looks like the perfect fool-proof setup of use in the field.
Micah 6:8

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I'm with you Charlie and others that said that your nocking point doesn't change when your string stretches. At least I've never had it happen. It just doesn't make sense that it would change position. Maybe those guys just had a nocking point slip up or down the string and thought it was because the string stretched?   :dunno:
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Thanks for questions.  Read the nock article in this months TBM.  He does a much better job explaining it than I could ever do.   I'll add that you're right, the nock doesn't change while the string stretches.  The limbs aborb the length and the brace height just goes down. (as long as the string stretches equally along its whole length... which I understand is rare).

THE RUB is when you add twists to take up that slack and re establish the brace height.  Most often guys twist from one end only.  That cause the nock point move slightly that direction.  Now to counter that, if I have tied on nocks I try to split the twists between both ends.  However sometimes you still don't get back to exactly the same point. Depending on the amount of change, I twist or RE-DO the nocking point.(I might add it depends on how anal you are about the set up)  If you are using clamp ons, you can twist on just one end and its easy to readjust. (but they wear gloves and drift on their own   :(   )  

The issue I have with Charlie's set up is it looks a little hard to adjust. Thus it's probably best for a really broken in string.   No offense...  I know its blasphemy to question the master.    :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©