3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Prussic Knot  (Read 9932 times)

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prussic Knot
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2006, 09:43:00 AM »
tie a small overhand "stopper" knot in the tag end of the line, this will stop  the knot from slipping if something happened to it.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
make sure the knot looks like this from the back, this angle shows the when weight is applied the knot snugs the mainline and won't move unless you g ive it some slack and move it.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
this is how you move the knot, you slide up UNDER it when going up, over it and down when coming down. I use the knot everyday in my job, it has never failed, i'm still here! use it when going up your steps or sticks, it works real well when hanging a stand.
If you slip going up or down your mainline it will suspend your weight without a problem.
It is easy to tie and untie( less than 20 seconds), and one harness with a 6' rope will do you as long as you have mainlines in every tree.
if you ascend using a harness with the linesman belt( like the gorilla ones that come with the stands), then you can climb, lean back, slide you hitch up, climb, slide, etc. you will NEVER fall when using that system.
hope this clarifies it a bit.
BD

Offline Tater John @work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
Big Dog,

Is the mainline looped over an overhead branch, are the mainline ends tied off near the ground level?

It looks like a mainline end is secured to your linemans belt,yes?

Can you step back for one more photo op. so we could see how the whole rig appears before you accend?

Rusty

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »
the mainline was looped for the pic, you can have a friend  belay you with that method, or tie off to the trunk or another tree close by.
For bowhunting purposes use this method to get the mainline up the tree, then tie one end off where you like it and leave it 'till season is over.
I'll take a pic to sho you how to rig it with a gorrila harness, I doubt many of you will use a red weaver arborist harness right?LOL!
BD

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
here are 2 pics, this is a gorilla harness with the linesman belt that comes with it. I clipped with a quick link the 6' rope to the front of the harness, then tied a Blake's hitch to the mainline. you can climb with the linesmans belt knowing the hitch will catch you if you slip or need a rest.
BD

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
Great job BD, you can't be too safe climbin into your stand. Afterall it's not the fall that kills you.  ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »
caranthir, below is the one that I use, it's made by petzl. This one cost about $50, but you only need one. I choose it because it has a lock open poistion which makes it a breeze attaching and detaching it the main rope. Flick the switch and its on. The other thing I liked is the thumb release position which is key in descending from the stand. Don't have to worry about faulty tying using these. This WILL dig in the rope if you happen to fall. My partner got one which is very nice through a construction supplier though. It's just not as ergonomic (spelling?) as mine and is much heavier.

Offline Tater John @work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2006, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks, appreciate the help.  Rusty

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
BobCo 1965 is right on , faulty tying can be a problem, practice the knots, inspect your rope often. If you do all that; in my opinion the Friction hitches are far superior, i don't know anyone up here that makes a living in the trees that rely on the mechanical device, they are a machine and they can fail...if practiced enough the knots and your brain will never let you down!
BD

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
i don't know anyone up here that makes a living in the trees that rely on the mechanical device,
That is definetely not me and I wouldn't even pretend to be confident enough to trust my life in my knot tying abilities.    :)    Actually, I hope I don't ever have to trust my life in either system. But am I using a system that is very effective. Effective enough for rock climbers and construction workers who are going much higher then just trees.

The way I see it is 90% of tree stand hunters are not using either system which is a big shame. Lives can be saved by using either system. I have no interest in arguing which system is better. Both systems can save you if used correctly and I stress correctly. Choose the one that is most appropriate for your owm situation. Point is use it and be safe!

Every year, I know someone who falls. And it's a shame that it can be prevented.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »
I agree Bob, well said.
BD

Offline GroundHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 06:32:00 PM »
I use a hangman's noose on me neck for a safety line when hunting way up in tress, so the fall'll kill me quick.

Not bust me up where I can't hunt, or anything else.

Great and usefull knot!
GroundHunter
Mom taught me: "Can't never could and won't never will"

HH Wesley Spl. 66" 85#@28
HH Black Bear. 66" 73#@28
Instinctive shooter, like wood arrows. Stalk & still hunt.
Dream: wingshooting ducks and quail

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
Great how to site for all kinds of knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/

Steve

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »
Looks like there might be a bow or 2 in that locust .Did you save some for Luke?
Good job on the tutorial BD good info and pics,thanks for sharing.
I believe Lee Valley sells a book on knots through there mail order store.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2006, 04:58:00 AM »
Has anyone had critters chew up their rope if left out?  I once left a rope hanging from my practice stand in the yard and something gnawed on it in several places.  I would caution about leaving a mainline rope out for the season because of this.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2006, 07:07:00 AM »
Always check your rope! , very good call, I have found that as long as it can free hang a bit the critters don't bother with it much. If it is laying tight to the trunk they may.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
Maybe I missed it somewhere but what was the best rope material for this? I understand the smooth diamond braid part.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »
climbing or arborist rope is the best, don't skimp on your rope, a good rope will last a long time in this type of application.
BD

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »
Question,'Arborist rope'?,  What diameter sizes should be considered for the purpose of ascending/decending from treestands?  I very rarely go higher than 16' so I assume 50' of rope will suffice. Something else, what dia. should the hitchline be, same as the mainline?

Great safety system!

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©