3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch length  (Read 213 times)

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletch length
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I've bought the Bitz and now looking at a chopper. I've decided to go with shield cut but my question has to do with length 4,5,5.5 inch what does feather length play in arrow flight? Pros and cons of 4 to 5.5 inch please. Thanks Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch length
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
The role feather length plays depends on what type of point you are shooting. Field points will stabilize easily with 4 inch feathers. I like to use 5 inch feathers with broadheads just for the extra steerage additional feather gives you.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Longer feathers "steer" more, but also create more drag.  It's a balance between stabilizing the arrow quicker and losing arrow speed quicker.

Longer feathers are generally louder than shorter ones.

Out to 20 yards I don't think you'll notice any difference. I can't at least.

I like four-fletch.  So I use 4".
Micah 6:8

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
T, Why do you prefer 4 fletch?
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
I've always used 3, 5" feathers.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
I think 4" look slightly better, and they are easier to find in my area because a *few* compound shooters still use them.  Most use 3" feathers IF they use feathers at all, but none of them use 5".

The real reason though is because you never have to worry about getting your arrow on the string right. (cock feather out)   The arrow is the same regardless of how you put it on the string.

I won't claim there's a performance change.  Just a personal preference, and a small convenience.
Micah 6:8

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
But you wouldnt say 4 feathers negatively affects flight. I would like to use all same color feather so 4 fletched would eliminate the need for the cock feather right?
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
Converml I sent you a PM. I have shot 5.5" trad cuts, 5" shields, and 4" shields. I like them all but have settled on 4" for my set up, and occasionaly use the 5.5's on some primitive arrows, because of the cut and the look it gives to them. I hope you find what you are looking for.

John
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
Thanks John I'll check my pm
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Fletching depends on three things, your release, the width of the broadhead, and your personal preference. The bigger 5.5 inch highbacks will help to some degree with a lees then clean release. They also steer the wider broadheads better. With extremes aside, 5 inch fletch with a moderate helix will get the job done with most broadheads. At normal hunting ranges I have noticed more of a difference with the amount of helix placed on the fletch rather then the overall size. JMO

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Personally I think height has more effect than length. .
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Try to locate enough feathers of the three lengths you are concidering.
Fletch your arrows, shoot them, and see which ones give you the desired results.
I tend to lean to the shortest ones that will provide the stability I'm looking for with the arrows I am building.(The intended use).
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Just trying 4-4.5" t-hawks. Haven't  noticed a flight diff from using 3-5" shields.

Only diff I noticed was the 4 fletch was quieter.

Working on the same thoughts as Pepper above.
Just seeing if I could get more stability AND quieter flight.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Zradix, did you attain the shortened length by moving the feather higher in the chopper? Do you think the difference is based on length, height, or both?
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes, I put a spacer made out of a popsicle stick and Fletch taped it to the base of the chopper.

I actually cut the stick at an angle so I could keep the higher back of the fletch.

I feel that a lot of the hiss made by feathers is either old fraying feathers or by unsupported or not very well supported feather fibers at he back of the fletch.

I had some trad cut (pope & young) that were loud as heck. I trimmed the back of those at a right angle about in the midpoint ht wise and quieted them right up.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
John I like that idea, Thanks Merle
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
I just figured out the area of fletching for 3-5" shields compared to 4-4.5" t hawks cut at an angle.

Ends up the 4 4.5" have about 13% more surface area....and are quieter. And I can't tell the difference in flight.

Soooo does it make a bit of difference..I don't know..But I do feel better about it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©