3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mfx classics vs. carbon express heritage  (Read 322 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
mfx classics vs. carbon express heritage
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
I'm contemplating making a switch from my mfx to the cx shafts. Of those who have shot both what did you find to be the most durable? I don't think there is much of a price difference. What other pros and cons did you find with the shafts?                      Thanks,lzzy

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mfx classics vs. carbon express heritage
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
Izzy,
I have shot both and I really like the CE Heritage shafts.  In my experience they are very durable. Another plus is my local archery shop orders them for me and gives me a heck of a deal.  The Bemans are much more expensive.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I have shot both and when set up right, they are both very durable shafts. I like Bemans better because of the smaller diameter and the big plus is they are Made in USA.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Hey Izzy,

Both the 150's and MFX 400's are the only two arrows I've shot for 5 years.  I think my Heritage 150's are a little easier to manage just because of the larger diameter.  Field tips that match the diameter of the shafts are easier to come by and they pull out of bag targets easier.  I also think their a little more durable than the MFX's.

On the other hand the MFX is an awesome arrow.  I did find 145 grain field tips that are 9/32 and match the shaft diameter but I don't think anyone makes 9/32 field points in a heavier weight.  You can taper the 175 and 200 grain tips but they still are a pain in the butt to pull out of a bag target! On the positive side I think the flight characteristics are better and they without question penetrate better.  A small diameter shaft following a big broadhead flat out penetrates.  

Just remember if you're going from 11/32 or 5/16 size shafting down to MFX shafts all of your bow quiver grippers will need to be replaced with small grippers. The MFX wood grain shafts have a real nice weight per inch so you don't have to go with real heavy tips to beef up the overall weight.  I think my shafts are 29" and have a 145 grain tip and they weigh in at 500 grains.

Both are great arrows with good quality control.  Both weigh close to the same and are easy to get but the MFX are more expensive. I'd get one of each and see which ones tune better.  If you're shooting your Shrew you may find the skinny shaft tune a little easier.

Tim

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
I like the 150's.  They have shot well in all the bows I have owned.  Given this I have seen a lot of people shoot MFXs very well.  Think either will work.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I like the Beman MFX's because they are more GPI compared to other carbons. I think MFX's cost more than others because they come standard with the 50/75 grain brass HIT inserts, epoxy and installation tool. Those alone are $20-$25/dozen.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
fz4vgq, GPI is almost identical between the two when you adjust for the slight spine difference (a .487 spine at 10gpi vs. a .500 spine at 9.7).

Spine is a slight difference.  The Beman's follow standard 340, 400 and 500 spine, but the CX 90s are 530, the 150s are 487, and the 250s are 373.

If you are caught between spines this could be important.  I shoot CX 150s, but may be jumping to Beman 400s for my next set with a slightly heavier/faster bow.

I also like that the brass HIT inserts come standard with the MFX b/c I have to buy the brass ones for the CXs.

I've been shooting CX 150s for several months and they are very durable.  I've missed the target several times, hit all kinds of things, and slapped arrows plenty, and the only arrow out of commission is one that I couldn't find.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
Both are great shafts CX Heritage are the toughest shafts I have ever seen, I have beat the hell out of the ones I have shot  can't break one! MFX is a real tough shaft too, love  the diameter and the look and the fact that it is made in the US, only downside for me was the HIT insert!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I did shoot both for a number of years.  I like the CX shafts much better for the durability.  The collars that 3rivers has for the MFX shafts makes them much more durable for frontal impacts but overall the CX shafts is the toughest carbon shafts that I've shot hands down.  Plus the spine of the the CX shafts seemed to be more forgiving and I could shoot the same shaft out of more of my bows with some minor tuning adjustment.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
MFX for me.  Best arrow shaft I've used since 1966.  For entirely personal reasons I wouldn't open a box of CE arrows if they arrived on my doorstep.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Beman MFX for me too.  I used the regular Carbon Express arrows with wheelie bows a few years ago as well. Still, the CX would be my SECOND choice. Not even close either. The MFX 500 Classic is the BEST arrow I have ever shot, bar none! They've been very easy to tune for me too. I've used the same MFX arrows out of three different bows and I had the bows tuned to the Bemans in no time flat. They're nice and relatively heavy too. Like others have said, you save some money with them too because of the included inserts and epoxy.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I am sorry to run against roy,but I love my CE over al the other carbons.They are very bomb proof and very consistent in spine,since carbon is very sensitive to lenght more than weight on the point you can have any of them fine tuned at the desired weight.For me mostly 10gfp
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I have been using the beman MFX 400's for several years with great results. I install the 100 gr. brass inserts up front and they fly like darts. I guess I'm kinda old school I like the heavier arrows for hunting. I also prefer the classic's for the wooden arrow look. I have shot them into large boulders with no damage at all, very,very tough arrows. I know there are other good preforming arrows out there, but when you find something that works so well it's hard to try something new.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
For me it is Carbon Express all the way.  I have hit all manner of hard things and gotten away with it with these arrows.
Rumor has it that they will even hold up to hitting a full can of beer off a stump.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Love those Bemans.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Both are great arrows,I favor the Bemans alittle more.I have and shoot both depending on which bow I'm shooting.

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
i like the mfx. better components. better nocks and better inserts. very consistence shafts.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Another MFX fan here.  :)

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I shoot them both and go back and forth between them.  I have broken both stumping but you'll have that with any arrow.  Durablity wise they are about the same but sometimes the finish on the Bemans chips.  Like sunshine said I to like the nocks and HIT inserts of the Bemans better.  On the CX's I use the 3 Rivers brass inserts instead of the ones that come with them.
I'm always trying different shafts and the Beman MFX and CX Heritage are the two I like the most.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Perhaps I received several years ago a bad batch of coated MFX's. Mine severely chipped back up to at least four inches from the point. I gave them to my son, who was just starting trad who ended up breaking nearly all of them.

I am fond of Beman shafts, however I won't be giving the MFX's another go.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©