3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What't the Performance Difference in Hill Bows?  (Read 202 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What't the Performance Difference in Hill Bows?
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
OK fellas I am curious about something and would like to hear your thoughts on it.  I have wanted a Hill bow for a LONG time, a juniper one to be exact, but I have never even held one let alone shot one.  I read and see all these comments about them, the hand shock and the lack of speed, etc.  Right now I have a 45# Barta longbow and I could probably shoot up to about 47 pounds or so.

I would like to know what I would notice if I picked up a 45 pound Hill and started shooting it next to my bow or any number of other R/D longbows, not the extreme R/D bows just the typical ones.  What would the arch of the arrow look like at 20 or 25 yards?  Would it be a real noticable difference or would it be pretty much like I am shooting now?

I know that in the TRAD world speed doesn't matter and aim does.  I'm not saying that it's important to me, I just would like to get an idea of how it would compare to my bow and some of the other longbows I am somewhat familiar with.  If it makes any difference my very first bow was a Great Northern Critter Getter which I liked a lot, but made the mistake of overbowing myself when I bought it.

Any comments you care to share would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Nalajr
Any comments would be great.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What't the Performance Difference in Hill Bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
For me, Hill bows are most satisfying and fun to shoot with heavy arrows. You'll get to try one sometime and see if you like it.

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
I just got a Hill Cheetah (made with the Rocky mountain Juniper) in the mail yesterday. This bow is quick, and quiet.  I won't be putting silencers on it.  

I noticed some slight hand shock, but my dad didn't notice any. I think that comes from him using a proper grip, and me trying to get used to shooting agian after taking the winter off.

Compared to my other bows my hill, at least to me, feels like it requires one to use proper form.  When i relaxed and slowed down, the arrow went where i pointed.  When i tensed up or didn't focus the arrows went all over.  

I'll give a better report after today when i've shot it a few more times.
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Mine really doesn't seem very much slower, maybe 5 to 10 FPS at most.  If you hold the bow right it will not have hand shock but just like a woman when you hold her wrong she will let you know real quick.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I also shoot a critter gitter and have another hill on order , my first was the juniper cheetah. These are my two favorite bows. I always shoot straight handles and find them very similar,  cumfy grips, point and shoot accept that the GN does seem a bit faster and harder hitting ,probably due to the slight R/D design. This however does not matter to me in the least. I enjoy the hill straight handles with that wedge shape. I can just grab it and hold on perfectly. I do not experience  hand shock on either bow . Just love the simplicity and beautiful lines of these bows.C

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
From the Howard Hill website:

"Our bows will generally shoot a minimum speed of 115 feet per second plus the weight of the bow (i.e. a 65# bow should shoot at least 180 fps and may exceed that minimum considering variables in bow length, draw length, and arrow weight)."

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Hill bows don't need or have the high-end performance figures to simply work, punching arrows right through many a creature.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Nala, a word of caution, if you want a Hill bow of not over 47# and that is really your top limit, don't order one over 44-45.  My experience, and that of a lot of other people, is that they tend for some reason to run 2-4# over the marked weight.  Don't mean to complicate things for you, but every bow Craig has built for me has weighed 4# over what it was marked (and was marked at the ordered weight).  And that is when weighed on various scales beside just my own.  Some of us have learned to just plan for that and order accordingly.  They are great bows, in fact, I prefer Hill bows to about everything else on the market.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
David, that solves a big problems for me!

I was feeling kinda wimpy having to admit that I shoot 75-pound Howard Hill bows, but for all my other bows shoot 80 pounds.

Now that I know my 75-ers are likely 79ers, I can once again hold my head up proud.

(looks like I won't need to find a self-esteem therapist after all)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
20-25yds.. don't even factor the speed, 150fps will get you there, easy. Now if you stood at 40yds and wanted to measure or judge trajectory diff between a 45#'er and a 75#'er, well ya, you'll see it, at 20yds, no.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Just get your Hill Bow....You will love it.
    Hold her right and shoot it....I shot with a guy who used a Black wido bow of the same poundage as my Hill, My Hill cast the arrow farther than his widow....and my arrow was heavyer....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I really want a Hill bow and have for a long time.

Mikeg, WOW!  That's a good story.  Can you explain how that story you told is true?  It just doesn't make sense.  I'm not doubting your story at all, I am just curious as to how it happens because if you LOOK at those bows side by side and took bets that the Hill would shoot the same arrow farther, you'd clean out the pockets of every single person standing there.

It's that kinda stuff that just increases my desire to own a Hill one day.  I want a JUNIPER model too.

Thanks again everyone.

Nalajr

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
there are some serious differences 'tween an american flat longbow (hill style) and a recurve's hybrid cousins (the aggressive and mild r/d longbows).  

the closer a longbow gets to a recurve the faster the arrow speed, the smoother the release after effects, and the shorter the minimum bow length needed for a given draw length (this can be at least 4" or more longer for a hill style longbow length).

however, typically the longer the bow length the more stable the shot.

based on yer needs, take yer pick for the right tool to get the job done.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sean Butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
after spending a day with my new cheetah, i came to the conclusion that it's one of my favorite bows to shoot.  When you do it right there is an amazing feeling.  When you do i wrong you have to go over the shot in your head to see what was missing.

That said my next hill will be 46#.  I went with 48# this time and while i can draw it ok, my dad's 46# tembo feels so much smoother.
"There is something about north. Something that sets it apart from all other directions. A person who is heading north is not making a mistake, in my opinion"

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Get your Hill.  Everybody should have 1 at least once.  I don't have one now but have had several and will probably get the itch again soon.  For me the most accurate bow with wood arrows I ever shot out to 25 yds or so.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Sounds like you already have the itch.... might as well scratch it.  :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©