3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How often do you adjust your brace height?  (Read 240 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
How often do you adjust your brace height?
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
I leave my recurve strung.  My brace is set at 7 5/8"....after quite a bit of shooting and adjusting. I thought I had all the string stretch out of it as I have a mark on my arrows that I can easily and consistently check the brace.  

I went turkey hunting this weekend and my brace was fine. I did a lot of stump shooting...wasn't so lucky with the turkeys.

Anyway, I just pulled my bow out to take a few practice shots and noticed that the mark on my arrows wasn't lining up correctly. I got out the tape and sure enough, I lost about 1/4".

Is this common? How often is everyone adjusting their brace height? How long will a string stretch? This is a 14 strand fast flight.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How often do you adjust your brace height?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
A new string takes over 200 shots before it is stabilized in my experience - also depends on Flemish vs. continuous loop vs. B-50 vs. low stretch, etc., etc..  I adjust the brace height until it no longer needs adjusting to stay where I want it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
As needed.  Not trying to be a smart---, but that is the answer.  If you have a mark on your arrows, then just keep doing as you are and adjust as needed.  Some strings just seem to stretchcreep more than others.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
ditto
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
And some string silencers, wool for instance, will squeeze down as shot and need to be "taken up" with more string twists.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Most of my bows have dacron strings.  When I first string them, I can press on the limb tips with the riser across my knee and I can literally feel the string stretching a bit.  After that, I do not need to adjust the brace height.  If I shoot a few arrows it will accomplish the same thing, though, so I normally just do that.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
New strings do take a lot of shots to get the string to "set". If the string has been set for a while and this is a new, sudden move, I would be leery of a possible string break either in the loops or under the serving.

Mine does move a little after the string is set but usually not more than 1/8" and it is not very often (Iuse D-97 BTW).

Bisch

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
My flemish style bowstrings for both of my bows are made up of 12 strands of Dyna97. After they were made for me by a string maker, the strings were pre-stretched before I received them so when I shot them, they didn't stretch very much.

I keep both of my recurve bows always strung hanging horizontally in a bow rack. My 42# bow has a brace height of 7 7/8" and my 37# bow has a brace height of 8 3/16".

When I take them out to shoot them or to go bowhunting, I always check the brace height for each of them and they've stayed the same.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
I have only had this happen with a dacron string fast flight does not seem to stretch even with a brand new string though
James Kerr

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I have seen that D10 doesn't stretch at all(so be sure of what lenght you need) other ff can stretch in the beginning then they settle.I check the regularly in the first days,then only from time to time.i use my hand for a fast guess.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I have a D-10 from SBD that has not moved since I gave it a twist after shooting 30 arrows.  Check it often adjust as you need to. I would caution that if a sting starts stretching after it has been stable for some time it needs to be checked out. This often means breaking of strands.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Since it is a fast flight string I would not expect much if any stretch. I also would be suspicious of broken strands in the string.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Pretty much an on going process until you get it shot in, and it doesn't move.
If you should see movement after this time, and are having difficulties keeping the bh, there may be other issues, and it is probably new string time.
Good luck
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Whoops! I lied. I thought it was a fast flight string.  

Turns out, it's a B50.

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
yea, check your loops too, make sure they aren't getting really big. Temprature changes can sometimes make the string stretch or contract. Usually not 1/4" though. that seems like a lot if you have shot much more than the 200 shots. Check those loops though, if they are getting noticably bigger, don't shoot it.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or so.

I have a back up string if necessary.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
B50 is bad about stretching. You might want to look into B55. It's doesn't stretch as much as B50.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Even a FF string will untwist its entire life if it twisted real tight to get your proper height. I have a D97 string that is at least 6 months old that I have to constantly reset and it's been shot a lot.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
I have seen that D10 doesn't stretch at all(so be sure of what lenght you need) other ff can stretch in the beginning then they settle.I check the regularly in the first days,then only from time to time.i use my hand for a fast guess.
I have also found that my D10 ain't stretchin' at all! Big difference compared to the D97 I had. I knew that the D10 was lower stretch but I didn't know it was THAT much lower stretch.   :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
What Hermon said.
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©