3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Longbow Purchase Suggestions  (Read 442 times)

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
New Longbow Purchase Suggestions
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Alright guys I have been shooting my bear super kodiak for about two years now and I am 100% positive im addicted to trad. SO.. now its time for a longbow haha :-D I know absolutely nothing about longbow companys so if you guys would suggest some companies and model I would appreciate it.. I'm looking for something around 66" or less.. is that possible?
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Longbow Purchase Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Cari-bow, Montana Bows (Dan Toelke), Talltines, Stalker recurves (makes longbows now), Howard Hill, Black Widow, Centaur, Two Tracks Bow Company, Eaglewing archery,  A & H archery, Apex Predator, Big jim's Bow Company, JK Traditions (Kanata), Dryad Bows, Maddog archery, Zipper Bows, Stewart Archery....

these are only about half or so of the bowyers that sponsor this site...the others are just as good.  Try to go to one of the big shoots and shoot as many different models as possible..or if there is a traditional club in your area, join up and shoot some of the different bows.  Some of the bowyers will let you "try before you buy".  My biggest concern when i buy a new bow is the grip.  i know what kind of grip i shoot best, so if i get a new bow, i send a copy of the grip or a xeroxed copy of my hand and a tracing with a description of the grip i want.  There are a number of used bows on the classified here on this site & right now it is a buyers market for used custom bows.
i know this wasn't much help, but you really need to try some different bows before you commit that much money for a custom job.  Good luck in your search!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Randy listed a bunch of fine contenders, but missed my two favorites...

Morrison, and Thunderstick... I really like the Morrison Shawnee, and the Thunderstick MOAB to be specific.

The Morrison Cougar or Dakota are both top contenders on my short list too...

Best of luck with your search!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Wes Wallace Royal.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
check out the classifieds.  you can get a custom bow for 30-50% off

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
Cari-bow, Montana Bows (Dan Toelke), Talltines, Stalker recurves (makes longbows now), Howard Hill, Black Widow, Centaur, Two Tracks Bow Company, Eaglewing archery,  A & H archery, Apex Predator, Big jim's Bow Company, JK Traditions (Kanata), Dryad Bows, Maddog archery, Zipper Bows, Stewart Archery....

these are only about half or so of the bowyers that sponsor this site...the others are just as good.  Try to go to one of the big shoots and shoot as many different models as possible..or if there is a traditional club in your area, join up and shoot some of the different bows.  Some of the bowyers will let you "try before you buy".  My biggest concern when i buy a new bow is the grip.  i know what kind of grip i shoot best, so if i get a new bow, i send a copy of the grip or a xeroxed copy of my hand and a tracing with a description of the grip i want.  There are a number of used bows on the classified here on this site & right now it is a buyers market for used custom bows.
i know this wasn't much help, but you really need to try some different bows before you commit that much money for a custom job.  Good luck in your search!    :)  
Can't say it any better than that!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
SO many good ones out there. That said, my next new bow will probably be a Liberty or Northern Mist.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
For what it's worth, shoot as many as you can.  Grip is a key IMO!  You will know when it's the right one.  Don't pick one with the attitude that "I will MAKE myself shoot this bow well"  Good form will let you shoot any bow decently but a bow that FITS will make you a great shot.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
great northern, howard Hill

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
What is your draw length? What types of shooting conditions? That will have a lot to do with what style and length of longbow I would suggest.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
There are way too many to mention, many great bow builders out there! As mentioned above shoot as many as possible straight limbed D style, R/D, differant handle shapes and go from there! here are some other names Bama Bows, Holm-made and Northern Mist, Dwyer!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Ron Laclair, Shrew Bows.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Time to go to a shoot or event with bowyers and try a bunch out, I like Dwyers, Howard Hills, RER XL, Pronghorns, Robertsons, and a whole mess of others  you might not like what I like though...

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
The list is going to be confusing as you can already see.   ;)   The best possible advice I could give is to find a large shoot where a number of bow makers set up to see as many for yourself as you can.  Try a lot before you buy.  What any of us here suggest may not be at all right for you.  There is no substitute for hands-on experience.  You can also see and shoot some good used bows.  You may find that longbows in general do not work well for you.  If you really enjoy shooting the recurve, you may want to stick with that for a while longer until you really get your form grooved in.  Jumping around to different bows can be lots of fun but can also screw things up if you aren't careful.  Best of luck on your archery ventures--it's a great way to enjoy life, the great world the Lord has made, and find wonderful friends as well along the way.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline canadian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Of the few I have tried, the Cari-bow peregrin is my favorite.  But if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers.  It is very personal.
murph

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
Dan Toelke makes the Pre-64 Winchester of trad bows. His Whip or Classic Whip are 10's.

http://montanabows.com/cms/

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
do consider that there are basically three kinds of laminated wood/glass longbows - hybrid aggressive r/d (closer to a recurve), hybrid mild r/d ("D" braced shape and somewhere between an american flat longbow and an aggressive longbow), and the american flat longbow (think: howard hill).

the hybrids have some "snake" r/d in the limbs and so will work well at shorter bow lengths for a given draw length.  the hill american flat longbow styles will require added length to work properly, typically 4" or more longer than a hybrid longbow.

handle shape, grip type and shelf cut are other factors that matter to a far lesser degree.

good luck, enjoy the ride!   :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Herb Meland is the bowyer that makes Pronghorn Longbows their awesome and so is Herb. Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
My two favorites are Morrison Shawnee and Centaur Carbon Elite. Hard to top that pair!(for me anyway!)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Black Widow PLs are a fantastic longbow.  Mine is an excellent piece of work, and shoots like a dream.  48#@31", 66" bow
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©