3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help with what do you do after the shot????  (Read 372 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with what do you do after the shot????
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Hi, not only am I a new person to archery but I am even newer to hunting. I don’t think I will have a problem letting the arrow go. I just don’t have a clue to what happens next. I talked to a gentleman name Mike at my local archery club that is a hunter and he has offered to take me out with his group.
I like to be prepared on what to do after the shot. I know I will have to track the animal but than what. I don’t have a clue to what to do or what is done. Can someone recommend a good book or maybe a video? I know I will need a bow, arrows and have the clothes but what else should I have? I know I could ask Mike but would like to also ask the guys here.
Thank you for your time.
Robert

I should of stated i am going to go out with Mike, I just wanted to have a clue.
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with what do you do after the shot????
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Experience is better than any video or book. I would take Mike's generous offer and go out with them as much as you can.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Good to have a practical mentor who might clue you on when/where/how to shoot &/or hunt. Here is a website full. Experience is still the best teacher IMO. Folks learn from other's mistakes & sound advice making this hunting site invaluable. Read hunt stories herein to learn some pitfalls. Always do your best & there'll be no need for apologies. Have fun.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I agree to a point with spike buck...but books have their place.Assuming deer is the prey.... "Finding wounded deer" by John Trout ,Jr  is a good reference. Tracking is a separate skill set . Experience is definitely needed and that requires time .... you must hunt, shoot animals , then track and learn. Big question: "what to do after the shot?" too many variables to answer other than the above advice ... I guess i would say the first thing after the shot is observe the animal as closely and intently as possible trying to absorb as much info as possible such as where the arrow placement was, how did the animal react ,where precisely did the animal go, what sounds followed the shot, ...like I said big question to answer

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I was not trying to be vague in my head I understood it.  I have a problem with that sorry
I guess after I find the animal and Mike or anyone else is an hour away. What do I do with to the animal?  Do I need to clean it out immediately or?
How many knifes do I bring and or what other tools? I know it’s a large question with so many possibilities but the more people respond the better understanding I will have not to mention all questions will led me back with more info.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
The best advice I can give you is after the shot, sit still and wait!

Watch where the amimal goes mentally mark landmarks it goes by. Such as just right of the forked oak tree, left of the big rock, went over the hill o the main trail, etc. I also like to take a compass bearing on the last spot I saw theanimal.

Replay these landmarks over and over and over in your head and wait at least 30 minutes. Then if your hunting near a freind silently sneak out of your stand/blind going away from where the animal went and gather your freind. There experience in tracking will be very helpfull at this point.

If your alone wait a full hour, then slowly, quietly go to where the animal was when you shot. then stalk the trail. Follow the blood slowly spendig as much time looking forward as you do down at the blood trail. Remember the landmarks the animal passed and by all means never never rush along on a blood trail!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
I seconfd the John Trout book. I reread it every year just o give me the confidence needed when a blood trail goes cold. Following his advice has helped me find a lot of animals for people that had given up hope.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
you only need a small knife about 3-4 inch blade to do the gutting, anything bigger and it just gets in the way of itself. imo.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
How long have you been shooting traditional archery? If your new to archery, you'll need to practice, a lot, before you take on hunting game. You need to build your shooting form first.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Good point JL.
Must have a high percentage ethical shot.

Really is a great and generous offer of the guy to let you go along with his group.

Let it be known to the group that if game is shot by anyone that you'd like to tag along for the trailing/dressing...everything.

Watching and learning that is worth way more than sitting and waiting the rest of the day.

By the way...Welcome!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
Originally posted by adeeden:
The best advice I can give you is after the shot, sit still and wait!

Watch where the amimal goes mentally mark landmarks it goes by. Such as just right of the forked oak tree, left of the big rock, went over the hill o the main trail, etc. I also like to take a compass bearing on the last spot I saw theanimal.

Replay these landmarks over and over and over in your head and wait at least 30 minutes. Then if your hunting near a freind silently sneak out of your stand/blind going away from where the animal went and gather your freind. There experience in tracking will be very helpfull at this point.

If your alone wait a full hour, then slowly, quietly go to where the animal was when you shot. then stalk the trail. Follow the blood slowly spendig as much time looking forward as you do down at the blood trail. Remember the landmarks the animal passed and by all means never never rush along on a blood trail!
For the most part... some things may/will come naturally... the above will probably  not ... but it is definitely one of the most important things you can do... patience before, during and after the shot.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
After the shot, the first thing I usually do is go look for my arrow.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I think people are missing your question.  It sounds like you are not sure what to do after you put your hands on the animal that you just killed.  The sooner you get the animal gutted, skinned, and cooled out the better.  Waiting an hour for your friend to start gutting will depend on your confidence on the weatehr.  The warmer the weather, the faster you better hurry.  I would always recommend that you field dress the animal as soon as possible.

It is really not difficult or complicated but it is intimidating at first.  Keep in mind that the task is simple.  You open them up from the anus to their head and pull everyting out.  Make sure that you know what your state requires for evidence of sex before you get too carried away.  

If you google "field dressing...(whatever animal)", you will find videos, tutorials, etc to help you get prepared.  A mentor is a wonderful assest to assist you but do them a favor and at least educate yourself as much as possible.

As for equipment, a basic sharp knife and maybe a saw will handle most stuff just fine.  A sharpener and extra knife will come in handy and is recommended.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I've mentored brothers, friends, and my son.  As others have said, there is much to do well before the shot. But, you already know that as you are asking this question to prepare yourself. Good on ya.

1. Pay attention to the animal's posture as the arrow hit.
2. See the arrow hit and note or project the exit wound.
3. Freeze in your mind where you last saw the deer.
4. Listen for sounds and look for flashes where the deer runs.
5. Mentally mark deer's location to find 1st sign and arrow.
5. Wait 30-60 minutes, get help if you can, stay off blood trail.
6. If in a tree, be safe, lower the bow, slowly descend.
7. Go to the where the deer stood, look for sign and arrow.
8. If you find the arrow stick it vertical where deer stood.
9. Mark that spot with a panel of toilet paper.
10. Staying to the side of the trail look for next blood.
11. Place paper waist to eye level as you find blood.
12. If you can't find blood in first 20-30 yards, stay off trail and go to the spot you last saw the deer. Look for blood there.
13. Continue looking, following, and marking blood.
14. If you lose trail, look back at paper and project likely direction of next blood.  
15. Stop and look around from time to time, you may see the deer and shorten your trail.
16. It is VERY IMPORTANT to stay with the blood trail, it will lead to a dead deer. Patience is your friend and the scanvenger's enemy!
17. If you lose trail you'll have to fan and scan at least 180 degrees a few feet at a time looking for next blood -- pretend you are the wounded deer, check existing trails and barrier-free courses. Water sources are attractive to bleeding deer.
18. Oh, arrows and knives should be quivered and sheathed during all of this!
19. When you find the deer.
20. Watch and study for a few. Make sure it is dead. If alive or unsure (?) shoot again -- VERY RARELY needed.
21. Approach the animal from the rear or back in case it leaps up. Again, very rare.
22. Take Pictures!
23. You should have studied a field dressing DVD, lots of good ones. Field dress right away so the animal will begin to cool and your drag load is lightened.
24. Your field dressing hole should be as small as possible to remove entrails--genitals to sternum is plenty for now. Too large a hole allows dirt in. You can remove esophagus and rectum when out of the field.
25. Be careful. I shared the emergency room in Colorado with an elk hunter that stuck a Big Buck Knife in his thigh. (I had a kidney stone -- I'd have rather have had the knife!).
26. Be careful dragging. This can be very strenuous and fatigue and dizziness can sneak up on you. Get help.

27. If the deer you shot wasn't the biggest you saw, mark the location on an aerial photo and send it to me!

You have lots of time to study good books and videos. If your mentors know what they are doing, they can save you a lot of heartache and effort. Your state wildlife agency should have excellent references -- The Pennsylvania Game Commissioin is well known for quality videos!

If you hit your deer well (lung shot) with a sharp broad head and the animal was unalarmed before you shot, you should find it in less than 150 yards -- not always. I've found the vast majority of such hit deer in less than 70 yards over the years.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Really is a great and generous offer of the guy to let you go along with his group.

Let it be known to the group that if game is shot by anyone that you'd like to tag along for the trailing/dressing...everything.

Watching and learning that is worth way more than sitting and waiting the rest of the day.

Good advise and will do.

By the way...Welcome!

I think you might be the only person to have read that far.

I have been shooting now for a month, Yes I am practicing every day. I have no intentions of going out there unless I am ready or confident that I can make a shot and only take the shot I know I can make.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I think people are missing your question. It sounds like you are not sure what to do after you put your hands on the animal that you just killed. You will need to field dress the animal as soon as possible. The warmer the weather, the faster you better hurry.

Yes that  is what I was trying to say.
Thank you.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
A lot of times were are so eager to help, that we get off on important tangents and miss helping people find the real answers they were seeking.  Glad you can join the hunting world and especially excited for you that you chose traditional archery.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Robert,
  Welcome, to Tradgang, to archery, and to hunting.  You are lucky to have had someone offer to take you under their wing, so to speak, for a hunt or three.  Be sure to learn all you can from Mike and his friends.  Not a whole lot of advice I can offer that hasn't already been given.  These guys have pretty much covered about everything.  Remember the common sense stuff...  permits, spare pair of socks, etc.

-Rich
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Offline gypsymech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »
check out pete wards site, lots of info there with picts to add to whats already been given here.

http://www.peteward.com/

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Advice looks good!  Again, DONT MOVE after the shot no matter how bad you want to start searching. Depending where your arrow hit dictates how long. Things happen quick, so you have to condition yourself to be ready to do all the things listed here before the animal disappears.  Go through some mock shots in the woods. Pretend you just hit a deer and go through all these questions that BOWWILD mentioned as fast as you can in your head. You have very limited seconds to do so. You dont want to get so caught up with excitement that suddenly you are standing there alone with no clue about what just really happened.

BIGGEST mistake I see again and again is someone getting on a deers trail too early. Adreneline will push an animal WAY beyond its normal physical limits. You will see!!!!

Your getting a HUGE gift here, lots to learn. Take advantage and express your gratitude again and again.   LOTS OF FUN coming your way!!!!!!!!!!!
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©