3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black bears from a DB type blind?  (Read 533 times)

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Black bears from a DB type blind?
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I was wondering how many have hunted black bears out of a blind over bait. Could you share your stories and set-ups, good and bad? What would you do differently? Going to Quebec next month with a blind and a treestand.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black bears from a DB type blind?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
He, he....Well I saw a neat video of a black bear looking in the front window of a blind (video made by the occupant of said blind) , but it may not have been a Double Bull.    :D    When he got tired of looking inside he grabbed the nylon material on the bottom edge of the window and gave it a real good tug....    :bigsmyl:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Blinds are very obvious to the bears .... I'd rather use natural brush. If you try and leave the blind there to let the bears get used to it they'll eat it or rip it apart....putting you back at having to use natural brush for your blind. I'd put up the stand and make a brush blind for an alternate wind. Hunt which ever the wind tells you to and it should work out. Save the blind for deer hunting or some other species that doesn't eat everything you leave at your set-up! Good luck....Ryan

Offline flyingbrass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Kinda neat to see someone on here you have talked to on the phone. Ryan seems like the outfitter that I want to use next year.

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/rogbo/?action=view¤t=ManlyBear.mp4

Was it this one?  This was one of our baits back in 2007.  We get this kind of action yearly and we only use ground blinds.  Yes the bears know the blinds are there and they even know you are in them.  But realistically they know where your tree stand is too and they know when your in it as well.  They just don't seem to care to awful much.  Obviously we didn't shoot this little bugger but we routinely take bears in the 6'4" to 6'8" range every spring.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
PV hunts them out of a blind.  Usually his shots are measured in feet Not yards.  If he doesn't come on, give him a PM...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
AKCrazyhorse, what was the liquid that the bear got sprayed with in the end of the video? Just curious  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
Gregg: I tried it at Eldon's up in Maine a couple of  years ago. Had one bear come to the back of the blind, smell it and walked away. In talking with Eldon about it he said it works much better in the Spring. I have heard that they can do a job on a pop up blind if you leave it over night. Hope it works out for you...it's one of my goals. Let us know how  you do.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
The liquid was a watermelon scented spray.  The bears seem to like it just not when sprayed directly in the face.  As for leaving them up......well they'd tear our apart if we left them.  We usually lose at least one four wheeler seat a year to bears chewing them up.  It may depend on how many bears are in your area I suppose.  We are lucky enough to be overrun with blackies.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loses ATV seats on a regular basis. Dang things are expensive too! I like to feed the bears trail camera's, blinds, atv seats, and treestand seats on an annual basis, and occasionally throw in some grain, grease, meat, and sugar!

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
ATV seats are probably the best bait going. Leave one in the woods for a couple of hours and it will be chewed on.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Wow, lots of good info. Would've never thought to take the blind down. My buddies that have been before haven't said they do either. We're having a "bear meeting" this week,  :scared:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Some bears mind them others don't . I prefer the ground and think brush blinds are the way to go. I have seen big bears  from my pop up I've only had one come in.
Was checking a bait I wanted a friend to hunt and just videoing. Got better than an hour of footage. When he decided to really check out the blind I hollered at him just before his nose hit the screen. He ran back about 30 yards and stood up did a bit of back scratching and sauntered back to the bait. Never saw that bear again that season except on camera after dark.

Last spring in Quebec I had two good bears hang up one evening. Next evening another hunter sat the bait in the treestand. The bear went right to the spot the blind was at and checked it out well before coming in.Marty made a great shot on a nice bear.

On a week long hunt I'll start off on the ground first two sits. If the bait is getting slammed and I'm not seeing bears I'll get back in the tree.

The bear Tippet mentioned was a 7 ft shot. THATS why I like the ground.

:bigsmyl:

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Ryan, looks like I could get my 4 yard shot that way.    :)
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
AKCrazyhorse, the name fits    :scared:  

Hunted from a tree stand and still get nervous climbing down and walking out after dark but that ground blind stuff would make me pack some extra TP for sure  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Crazyhorse, that's the very video I was talking about....thanks for posting that!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
I killed my first bear from a DB in Co.  Found a old elk carcass and set up. The bear came out took a bite of elk and went back in the brush. Next time I saw him he was circleing around me. Came up to the blind and actually stuck his nose inside right in front of my chest. I guess the carcass smelled better to him. He turned and started back to the elk.carcass. I shot him at about 6-8 yds. Fell over in about 20ft and rolled about 200yds down the mountain. Lucky he was not real big. Seemed a lot farther coming back up.    Jim

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
ttt

- Doug Lawson.

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Thanks for that video- my kids(3 and 5) want to watch this over and over.
Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Now that looks like fun Roger! Thanks for the video.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©