3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve vs. Longbow weight/speed  (Read 923 times)

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve vs. Longbow weight/speed
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I'm thinking about a new bow without an elevated rest. I'm trying to decide between a recurve or  longbow. At my draw, my Jag is #54. Does that equal a #54 longbow or will a longbow feel lighter/heavier? Also, if I get a quality #50 recurve or longbow, I assume it'll shoot faster than my #54 Jag helping its punch.

For funzies, here is my Jag speed:
oMeasured Speeds:  157 fps w/529 gr. Arrow, 174 fps w/409 gr. Arrow at 27” draw.
•Extrapolated Speed:  164 fps w/549 gr. Arrow at 28” draw.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve vs. Longbow weight/speed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
Get either one a good quality 3 piece l/b is my preference.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
Not a lot of difference between a R/D hybrid longbow and a recurve as far as speed is concerned. I went from a Pittsley Predator recurve to a JK Traditions Kanati hybrid and only lost 3 FPS! The Kanati was one pound heavier in draw weight than the Predator. Still, not much difference in performance at all.

According to testing done by Blackey Schwartz(Traditional Bowhunter Mag.)    :readit:    , the Centaur Carbon Elite hybrid LB shot only 3 FPS slower than the ultra high performance Pittsley Predator recurve, using identical testing parameters. So there ya go.

With either one, if you put the arrow where it belongs with a sharp broadhead, you'll be just fine.

:archer2:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Only difference I could add is some of us knucle-draggers seem to only shoot one or the other style bow well.

I love thoese small bows... like the Hoots recurve! Lighet weight. Smooth, no pinch...incredible!

Can't hit a blasted thing with a light-weight mass bow unless I have some riser mass for some reason. Bad shooting form perhaps, but nothing I can figure out so I've saddly just resolved I shoot recruve heavier weight risers (not heavy draw!!!)better and consistently where otherwise, NOT.  :(

Thank Goodness for the bowyers who now offer longbow r/d limbs for their recurve risers!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
have an all bamboo long bow,my friends all shot recurves mine weighs alot less. carrying it all day makes a difference but when it comes to making the shot use what you shoot best.

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
50 pounds feels like 50 pounds, regardless of LB or recurve.  Some bows stack differently in the draw but the end draw weight is what it is.

Many of the hybrid longbows will out perform recurves in speed.

I shoot a 50 pound Herwaybow TD longbow, a 510 grain arrow will shoot 190 fps.  I have a 55 pound wapiti TD recurve that shoots the same arrow 175 fps...
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry about speed.  Choose the one you like to shoot the most and the one you shoot the best. Any recurve or longbow in the 50+ # range has plenty of punch for North Americn game.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by wapiti1997:
50 pounds feels like 50 pounds, regardless of LB or recurve.  Some bows stack differently in the draw but the end draw weight is what it is.

Many of the hybrid longbows will out perform recurves in speed.

I respectively disagree on your statement that a  50# bow feels like a 50# bow regardless of design.

I have to admit that until you have had the opportunity to shoot a high quality recurve limb with a dip in the DFC chart, you probably wouldn't notice much difference.....

But..... once you have drawn one and feel what almost seems to be a let-off in weight through the draw cycle, you would be amazed. I have some RC bows out there that run 50-55#'s that you would swear are only 45-50# without putting them on a scale....

Typically there is a trade off between smoothness and performance, but with these modern composites we have available now, if the time is taken to balance the limbs properly, you really don't loose a lot of performance either.

food for thought.... Kirk

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
50# is 50#. Differences might be finger pinch +/or stack on shorter bows. My longer draw appreciates LB's (66"-70") for the past 35 years. Might try a hybrid which has best qualities of both?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
50# is 50#, I agree with straitera that finger pinch and stacking are the only differences in "feel".  I'm not aware of any limb material or design that allows a traditional bow to drop weight at a given longer draw length.
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
A bow might feel different from another bow as it is drawn but once you get to the peak holding weight, it is what it is, 50# is 50#.    ;)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
50 is 50 at anchor, but there is a world of difference on the trip there... limb design and bow length make a difference with these old shoulders...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
For me a bow with top quality bamboo or yew limbs just seems to draw a little nicer. If I have one of those choices in a custom bow I would always be willing to pay extra.

Peak weight is the same from bow to bow. How you get there (the force draw curve) can be markedly different.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
OK you "50# is 50#" die hard's.    :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:     ...

You guys are missing the point here....lets put it this way.... you got a 50# box of nails on a table. push the box to arms length in the middle of the table and bend slightly at the waist and try to pick the box up and bring it to your chest.

now take the same 50 pound box, and slide it to the edge of the table right next to your belt line and pick it up to the same location at your your chest.

after about 5 reps, you wont be able to lift it at arms length any more.... IF you could even lift it the first time.... it's called leverage guys...  yup... It's same 50 pounds alright but it sure don't feel like it....

same theory applies to using a bar or a pole for a lever instead of dead lifting something.

what do you think those hooks on the end of a recurve are?.... they are lever's.    ;)    AND if they make it easier to get to full draw, you can hold that same 50 pounds a lot longer...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
I can't believe i didn't get a response on this one.

no takers huh?

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
I'll bite... Do they make it easier to get to full draw?
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
OK you "50# is 50#" die hard's.      :biglaugh:          :biglaugh:       ...

You guys are missing the point here....lets put it this way.... you got a 50# box of nails on a table. push the box to arms length in the middle of the table and bend slightly at the waist and try to pick the box up and bring it to your chest.

now take the same 50 pound box, and slide it to the edge of the table right next to your belt line and pick it up to the same location at your your chest.

after about 5 reps, you wont be able to lift it at arms length any more.... IF you could even lift it the first time.... it's called leverage guys...  yup... It's same 50 pounds alright but it sure don't feel like it....

same theory applies to using a bar or a pole for a lever instead of dead lifting something.

what do you think those hooks on the end of a recurve are?.... they are lever's.      ;)      AND if they make it easier to get to full draw, you can hold that same 50 pounds a lot longer...
It can draw more or less smoothly and store different amounts of energy, but the draw weight feels the same at anchor.  The length of time that you can hold at anchor should not be significantly changed unless you shoot a very large number of arrows. Your analogy is a poor one, as it implies a different drawing motion.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
64" R/D longbows are about as fast as it gets these days. The good ones are fast smooth and quiet, and frankly I cannot tell the difference anymore between a top recurve and a top R/D.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Not sure how my Twotrack longwalker longbow compares to a recurve but I can say it is about 53 pounds at my 30 inch draw ( 47 @ 28 ) 64 inches long - mild R/D.  I shoot a 515 grain arrows and jsut for fun I shot through the chrony at 12 yards ( do not recommend doing this however).  I registered a consistant 182.6 FPS.  THe bow is dead quiet as well.

I can say at about 15yards I blew through the lungs (fletches hung up on opposite side)of a 250 pound hog with a bit of a shield.

My buddy who shoots the same arrow and broadhead as I do shoots a 53 pound blacktail recurve ( 62 inches I thnk).  I do not know his speed, but he blew through a hog at 15 yards also.  Not really apples to apples, just some data I guess.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Hmmmm...  50# is 50# at anchor regardless of recurve or longbow it still feels the same.  The draw force curve may feel different but the end result is what it is.

I have both recurves and longbows, I prefer the longbows...
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©