3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting left?  (Read 474 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting left?
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I am consistently shooting. I know my arrows aren't over spined. I am shooting a Big Jim Buffalo bow 46@28 I draw 27" 15/35 GT cut to 28 3/4 with a 150 point. I shoot 2/5" left at 20 yrds.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting left?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
What's the deflection on a GT?  Bet if you put on a 300 gr tip you'd shoot right.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
What is your strike plate material?  You may want to try a softer strike plate material that has some give.  It won't push the arrow left.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Normally, if arrows are left, move the rest in. Move it in the direction you want the arrow to go. If the nock is low, raise it. If higher, lower it. If left, move it right or reduce the thickness.

But before taking the rest off, try building it out first and see if it causes them to move further left or not. Most of the time I will  use a vinyl black electrician tape which is much thicker than the standard tape. It might take few tries, but I think you will find a point where they are shooting where you are looking.

If that does not solve the problem, add weight to the tip (replace 150 with 175 or 200 gr). I suspect, bow is not center shot, but do not know. Your options are to add, or subtract from the rest thickness, and/or adding or subtracting weight. If nothing work, then it is time to try a different spine arrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Aim a little to the right. Sorry just had to say that.  :goldtooth: .....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
It is either tuning or form and that could cover a lot of ground. You could be tired, anchoring slightly different, not pushing with your bow arm, allowing left shoulder to collapse, getting older etc. I am assuming you are a rightie. You may have inadvertantly changed something;  brace, sideplate, string silencer position or type, tab, glove, bow. Maybe you made or bought a new string. Then again; why do you think you are not overspined?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Ranger3, do you have a full length 3555? It would be worth a shot. That bow is cut to center and could require a touch more spine.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Assuming you're a RH shooter, try anchoring closer to your face, like really up tight against the side of your face. Sometimes I get to shooting left and that's usually because I'm anchoring out away from my face too far.

Or, you could be short drawing.

OF course I am assuming you just started shooting left with your current setup using those arrows. If you just started shooting those arrows and didn't have trouble before that, then you very well could be over spined.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
I agree with ishoot4thrills.  I get sloppy and short draw causing some left hits.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Have a buddy with a similar draw shoot it with the same arrows. See what happens for him. gotta weed out the indian before it's a equipment issue.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
i do that quite often, im not holding my bow arm , im dropping it at release and that causes this problem.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by stabow:
Aim a little to the right. Sorry just had to say that.    :goldtooth:   .....stabow
If the arrows are flying straight and you're not using a sight; that is the answer.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I had the same problem...regardless of the bow or set-up. It wasn't a spine or anchor issue.   My arrows always ended up 6 to 8 inches left of where I thought I was aiming.  Check your eye dominance...I am left eye dominant.  Now I close my left eye and I hit where I am aiming and looking.  Problem solved.    :saywhat:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Ok, I have fought the same thing with every bow that I have owned since I started shooting trad.  I would change arrows, points, lengths, fletch, and everything under the sun.  I finally realized that it was me.  My two main problems were not concentrating on the spot!!!.  It is very easy to do if your mind is clear, but if you had a bad day and the stress is high, then your shooting will most likely show it.  

I was also pushing the arrow towards the target, or letting the string hand forward.

Just a few things to remember.  Don't focus so much on the equipment, but rather the mechanics of properly executing the shot.  I still struggle from time to time, but know that it is improper form.  Back tension is key.

Terry Green finally got through my thick skull, and when I realized that it was possible that I wasn't shooting properly, I fixed the problem.

Re- asses yourself first, then tweak a little on your equipment.  Good Luck

Tom
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Ranger 3,

I've been having the same problem since I went to a lighter draw weight.  At the lighter weight, I was having trouble getting a good release, so I switched from a glove to a tab.  This seemed to start the left shooting phenomenon (but better groups).  I also started hitting my lip with the string. Turning my head to the left more and working on my release helped, but I still do it once in a while.  It also seems like the more I focus on my form, the worse I shoot.  If I absolutely burn my eyes into the target, I'll hit it most of the time.  Sorry I don't have a good answer.  Hopefully you will find some useful information in this response somewhere. - John

P.S. How'd you choose your name?  I was in the 1/75th in 1983/1984

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
if all the above doesn't work...try what i do when i start pushing em to the left...

i set up a 6" target surounded by rocks and then shoot my broadheads at it...it makes me really really concentrat hard and ill be dead center evry time...all you have to lose is many $$$'s

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
plucking the string upon release? Have someone watch you.

Offline goatkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
I am consistently shooting. I know my arrows aren't over spined. I am shooting a Big Jim Buffalo bow 46@28 I draw 27" 15/35 GT cut to 28 3/4 with a 150 point. I shoot 2/5" left at 20 yrds.
Consistant shooting is good.

You may be torqueing the bow, try holding the bow with just the thumb and pointing finger.

And draw the bow with three fingers under the arrow. Anchor with your pointing finger at the corner of your mouth. The cockfeather should just tickle the hairs of your right nostril. All of this will put the arrow moe in line with your dominant eye.
Maki-Mato

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I was having the same problem, same type bow different arrows.I changed my ancher slighty to move my eye more over the arrow,witch I learned on a thread.And BINGO it worked great.
Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Gotta agree with many of the above posts as far as release and anchor.
From my experience; I shoot to the left fairly consistantly if I don't keep my anchor tight to my face. It leads to plucking the string.
Although fairly consistant; it is not where I am aiming, and not as consistant as a good anchor.
Sometimes basics and form is the answer.
Ken Thornhill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©