3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pawn Shop find!  (Read 461 times)

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
Pawn Shop find!
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
Was downtown the other day and went in a Pawn shop that used to have archery gear ,, asked the Guy behind the counter if they had any trad bows? He says no only old coumpounds..I looking around, spot two trad bows on the side, ask to see them one was a Kempf Falcon long bow the other was a mint shape martin 2001 Gail martin 60" recurve with fancy Riser and #133 out of a series of limited Run celebrating 50 yrs in the archery  ,, How many others have found treasures at a Pawn shop? (bought the Martin for a song) the Kempf is still there !  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
Gord

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pawn Shop find!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
I bought one from a pawn shop a few years back for $30.00...I check those places out quite a bit when traveling ..You never know what you will find....Auctions,Yardsales,classifieds and just mentioning to anyone you meet for the first time that you enjoy traditional archery might just find you another...I'm just waiting to stummble across someone that may have a 59 Kodiak Hunter in new shape that was sitting under a bed in a box since the day they got it and they say hey you can have this old thing...Notice I said "have" cause I doubt I would pay the $500.00 to $1000.00 they are going for... I know I'm just dreaming but dreams can come true sometimes...  :biglaugh:

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
No joy for me. The pawn shops where I live never have any used trad bows for sale.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Once and a while, I luck out. So far I have found a few. Haven't had any that I wanted to take home yet. Still looking for that one treasure. Good Luck
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
No luck so far.

Nice find!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
I keep trying, but nothing but an old Ben Pearson. Trying to find lefties is even more futile, but who knows. If I don't stop and look, I'll never know. Pup

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Just brought home a 63 Kodiak special.  Cleaned it up and when I put a new string on it. My buddy pulled it back and it EXPLODED.    :scared:    

Glue line failed!

Best 50 bucks I ever spent.    :(    

Thankful no one was hurt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
i see some trad bows every now and then at the flea market.  all pretty banged up and nothing i wanted to buy.  hopefully this summer there will be some nice ones looking for a new home
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
How much were they asking for the longbow?
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Never had any luck in pawn shops around here. I'll keep looking when I get the time, you never know what you'll find.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I never find anything at flea markets or yard sales, no pawn shops around here.

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Good find!

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Haven't found anything around here yet but haven't been looking too hard. Need to step it up.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Pawn shops around here don't have any either.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline scharms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Many moons ago (mid 1980's) I regularly found recurves for a song.  I recall one mint Bear Grizzly that I picked up for $25.00!  Man I wish I could come across those again...
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I once saw an older bear in a pawn shop in southern Manitoba, which is rare cause there aren't tons of trad guys around here compared to places in the US. The bow had white glass and the price tag was $130. I bet most of shop owners price them out online and add a few dollars. I didn't buy it but it was gone the next time I was back in that shop. I guess someone thought it was a good deal.
Nice to hear when someone rescues a gem.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Stopped by our Pawn Shop again this evening and again no luck.

The only reason I would wish to go to Las Vegas would be to go to the Pawn Star's shop. I have seen a rack full of trad bows on their show before. Probably couldn't afford one, but they have caught my eye several times.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
found 2 older 50 & 55 lb indians at a pawn shop, gotem both for 10 bucks...had a guy give me a 63 grizzly that he had stored away for may years...it looked like new but it was left handed so i gave it to a friend of mine and he gave me 2 of his old bows from the 50's that my grand kids shoot...also had a cusin buy a early 70's grizzly at a yard sale but it was to heavy for her so i traded my X wifes caddet for it...now if i could only find something that id like to keep.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
The Kempf  Falcon they were asking 595 for which is high for that Bow the  guy behind the counter says this bow is hand carved I told him what it was and that Jack is a friend .He had no clue what it was or who made it , so keep looking as I have found Bows show up in the strangest places  :archer:
Gord

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I travel a lot also. Need to start checking those pawnshops out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©