3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: off the shelf vs off a rest  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: off the shelf vs off a rest
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
I use both methods on different bows. I have a Mercury Hunter that has a pretty flat shelf so I've been shooting a flipper of that bow and I have a Recon ILF riser that I started with a flipper and changed it to off the shelf with equal results in performance. All my self(s) are off the shelf. Like a number have said already if you have the arrow tuned to the bow it is all a matter of personal preference. I like the clean looks off the shelf better myself... :^)

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I know it is a personal preference thing, but I have been using an elevated rest for 35 yrs.  From the beginning I got better arrow flight, so have stuck with it thru fiberglass, alum, wood and carbon arrows.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
An artical on Paul Schafer I read years ago said he shoots off an elevated rest and gave several reasons including using vanes. I put a rest on my bow and have never looked back, only time in my life I learned the easy way instead of the hard way.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I used various rests when I shot target and, IMHO, with light shafts and small fletch they are the way to go for best flight.  With a heavy hunting shaft and big feathers I am happier off the shelf.  In a hunting situation there is no "oops" that the arrow is on the shelf instead of the rest and less chance of bobbling off - depending on your shelf & rest.  

Also remember the KISS principle.  There is nothing to snap off a shelf.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Guess it's tough to argue with guys that are accomplished bow hunters who use a rest, no matter what kind. I do like the simplicity of the plain shelf. I think you have to try both and see what works for you. I just picked up an Metal ILF riser that I want to play around with. I know that I am going to try both on this bow when I get it just to see what is going to work best for me. Heck I may not like it at all and stick with my longbow...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I prefer off the shelf. If the bow is tillered properly, the shelf is in the right location, the limbs are balanced, and the bow is tuned(...ALL of which should also be done regardless of if one shoots off shelf or a rest...), then I find shooting off the shelf to be very forgiving.

I would also note that the majority of traditional archery legends...folks like HH...shot off the rest. That said, I suspect that shooting off a rest is more forgiving if someone doesn't have a great bow hand...or if the bow isn't perfectly set up.

I prefer the shelf though as the shelf has no chance of coming off or moving. It would bother me to think my "rest" could break off when I was in the woods during a lifetime opportunity hunt.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I've shot off the shelf, flipper rest and Bear weather rest.

Like most I have read that off the shelf close to the hand was the best for instinctive shooting. So that is how I started. Then I quickly found out that keeping feathers dry was next to impossible in the late season blacktail hunt here in Oregon. So I put a rest on, and switched to vains for the late season.

It took me about a week to re-sight my brain due to the elevated rest. I have noticed no negative difference in accuracy.  In fact I think it improves my shooting and I don't have to worry about wet feathers any more. I now shoot a Bear weather rest all year round. Shooting both feather and vains.

I have never had the bear weather rest come off unexpectedly. In fact when I've wore them out and had to change them, it was a chore to remove the rest and all the adhesive. If it does come off in the field I always carry a spare in my pack. They are cheap and easy to replace in the field if needed.

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Hmm it seems there are as many opinions on this subject as there are types of rests.  :p

Thanks for posting this topic, I was interested to hear about this as well.
~Brock

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Get a Hoyt flex rest and try for yourself. They are cheap and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I find the durability concerns to be unfounded and I've used them from rain forest to high desert, from pouring rain to parched arid conditions without fail.

Tuning is a snap... take one of your bare shaft tested arrows that flies perfectly off the shelf and shoot it across a rest. You WILL be amazed!

Reread Bill Carlson's post above.

Of course if shooting off the shelf makes you feel "cool", go for it.
   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I have tried both ways and prefer "off the shelf". When shooting off the shelf, the rest doesn't detach from the bow like the possibility it can with an elevated rest and an arrow doesn't fall off the shelf like it can with the little arm of an elevated rest.

I guess what I'm saying is, with an elevated rest, in the back of my mind, I always have to worry about Murphy's Law. I never worry about Murphy's Law when I shoot off the shelf.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Mr. Lamb would you please post a pic of the Hoyt flex rest?

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
For sure a elevated rest is faster and easier to tune with your arrow.It is true you'll have a perfect arrow flight,but if you spend more time fine tuning your set up you can obtein the same accuracy with a shelf rest.In the past i was amazed by the performances of a flipper rest,far superior to a rubber rest,but in real hunting conditions when you are stalking or still hunting sometimes you are required to awful positions and the rest is not a option.Better for 3D or from a stand.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I shoot off the shelf, but it's just for the sake of simplicity.  There's nothing "holy" about either choice.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff. On the note of simplicity, I don't know if I have ever seen a stick on rest on a longbow. I am sure some have and do use it though...I am only saying they are much more common on recurves.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
In the end Shoot what works best for you and Your style of shooting....As for me I shoot my longbow off the shelf and my recurve with a rest.
I get perfect flight and I have never had any issues with and elevated rest ever.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I think what Charlie, Bill and others here, that use and get good results by using the raised rest, is better timing in their bows. Better timing is 'bout the only thing that would explain better accuracy, speed and tunability over shooting off the rest. Unlike selfbows, where you can build in best timing for one's grip, glass bows, you'll need to kinda search for it sometimes. Easier to do that than trying to grip a bow in a fashion that's not natural like.

Does that make sence? Art

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I've been struggling with the same decision---to rest or not.  I picked up a half-dozen old Flipper Rests off an auction sight -- got em all, new in the box for less than $10 including shipping. I have several Bear Weather Rests.

I received Dave's personal Lefty Silvertip around August to try out. It had a Bear Weather rest under moleskin like the picture above.  I liked it and of course left it in place as I would be returning the try-out bow.   I have a plunger style springy rest on my Stricklands's "Stick".

At basement range distances (13 yards) I couldn't tell any difference in my accuracy off the shelf or with an elevated rest. It was a pain however switching back on forth on the same bows as I had to cut off my tied on nock locators and re-tie so they were at the correct height. I know, I should have used brass jobs to make this quicker.

I've shot feathers and vanes off rests and the shelf. Frankly, I don't see a lot of difference with any of these set-ups. I'm thinking "paradox" keeps the vanes and feathers from contact with my shelf and window but I haven't used powder or lipstick to check it and I don't have a camera that will tell the tale.

I shoot one of my bows better than the others, most of the time. This bow doesn't fit my "purty-criteria" as it has a metal riser and is completely camouflaged. However, it is my best shooting rig. It has the elevated, plunger with springy arm. I'm sure the difference is this rest.  In fact, I almost had a Silvertip that is due any day, drilled for this same rest.  I chickened out at the last moment and ordered it to shoot off the shelf.

I suspect I'm going to give the elevated rest another try and shoot at further distances. I'm hopeful that I don't notice a lot of distance because 1). I'm pretty picky about arrow tuning and 2). My shooting process is well-practiced?

My best friend, who was a multiple IBO triple crown champ with recurves back before they moved the distances so close (Jim Hart in case any of you were shooting in the late 80's and 90's) swears by a flipper. He won't even consider shooting off the shelf.  His rest of choice is a highly mechanical affair with springs and screws so I worry for him a bit that it could go Murphy on him someday.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
This is the same basic rest as the old Hoyt Pro rest except instead of plastic it's metal. Very sturdy!  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the pic

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
I've used elevated rests for almost forty years. I shoot them on all my recurves. They are very forgiving and I've never lost one in the field. Bill and Mr. Lamb are right on the mark. The only rest I've found I don't really care for is the Bear weather rest. I really like bears brush rest though. There are two or three that I like the best and those are the ones I use. They are cheap so try a few to find your favorite.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©